AVG Linkscanner 2012 version Update

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheKid7, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

The updater for my current version of AVG Linkscanner 2012 is only updating signatures. It will not update to the latest software version (Firefox 11.x compatible version). I have downloaded the latest version's standalone exe installer.

Is it best to uninstall the current version, restart and then install the latest version?

I think that I saw somewhere that I can just run the installer for the new version and select the "Repair" option. Comments/Suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I would try Repair option first. Of course if doesn't work then remove and reinstall

3. TheKid7

I used the Repair option. The update to the latest version of AVG Linkscanner seems to have been done properly.

Thanks.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Is there any sites available to test Linkscanner so that it accurately proves it works?

Also is there a link to the standalone version? I could only find the installer version so far.

Thanks

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You want malicious sites hosting exploits, or just a test site? If it's a test site, go here: -http://www.explabs.com/test/

You must allow JavaScript for the test to run successfully.

Are you looking for the offline installer? Is that what you mean? What do you mean with "I could only find the installer version so far"?

Anyway, here is a link: -http://free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-smf

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks, those were the ones.

Rarely if ever bother with these since Kaspersky seems to do fine with potential and threat sites, but am curious if Linkscanner can do favorably too.

EASTER

7. TheKid7

I have noticed a new feature in the latest AVG Linkscanner version (AVG Do-Not-Track).

AVG Do-Not-Track shows up in Internet Explorer as a Browser Helper Object. I do not see a way to make any changes to the AVG Do-Not-Track Settings.

AVG Do-Not-Track shows up in Firefox 11.0 as an Add-on. There is a entry in the Tools Menu which allows access to the AVG Do-Not-Track Settings. I have attached a couple of screenshots.

Attached Files:

8. TheKid7

I just noticed that there is another way to access the AVG Do-Not-Track Settings in Firefox 11.0. You click on the Icon which is just to the right of the "Home" Icon Attached is another screenshot.

Attached Files:

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Are you running IE in private mode (If you're running IE8/9)? You may need to allow bho/addons in Private Mode. It could also be related to the built-in tracking thing of IE.

10. TheKid7

IE8, No Private Mode.

Now I see the AVG Do-Not-Track Settings Icon in Internet Explorer 8. Previously, I was trying to find the Settings in the Tools Menu. The Settings Icon is over on the far right side in about the same position as it is in Firefox 11.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.