AVG LinkScanner 2011 free standalone is in the cloud.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LODBROK, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Thank you so much m00nbl00d :) I was just confused .....what to use and why:) .

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

No problem. AVG should provide more and clear information on the main LinkScanner website how it truly works.

If you feel like you need it, you can run both LinkScanner and SafeOnline just fine. I haven't seen any problems in weeks (since I first tried SafeOnline to then deploy to family members).

3. m00nbl00d

I was told by AVG that LinkScanner will allow to continue with installation in systems that already have avast! 5 installed. I assume they have rechecked any conflicts between both.

The same hasn't been confirmed for Microsoft Security Essentials, yet.

4. m00nbl00d

I'm wondering how far does LinkScanner actually protect users. I entered an URL in the on-line service, and to safeguard their (AVG) servers, they won't verify the URL, due to this:

Emphasis is by me.

I wonder how far does LinkScanner protection go? Because, it sure avoided the URL I entered.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol, thats some irony for you :D

6. m00nbl00d

Make it be like *30 times irony. I've got quite a few URLs which it won't scan, at all; the thing just refuses... :D

Tomorrow I'll be sending an e-mail to AVG asking if the application itself, at least the stand-alone version, which allows to verify URLs in the UI, if it would also prevent such scanning to protect users o_O Then again, if they enter such URLs, wouldn't they be attacked anyway? :D

Questions...

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

haha, ye shuld be interesting to see the response.

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am still using AVG LinkScanner 9.0.872 free standalone.

In your opinion, is AVG LinkScanner 2011 free standalone worth the upgrade?

Since it has been several months since the new version was released, do you feel that enough bugs have been worked out for me to upgrade.

Thanks in Advance.

9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I was very disappointed with this release the unintaller didn't work at all it said it was uninstalled, asked me to restart came back and AVG was right there on the desk top able to be opened. >_< took me a system restore to about a week ago to get rid of it.

10. m00nbl00d

If I were you, I'd wait until the SP1 version comes out; if I'm not mistaken, I've seen mentioned that AVG is already beta testing their 2011 SP1 products line.

Wait until comes out as final release, and then wait and see what other fearless AVG users report on their forum. I'd wait until then. I don't think it's worth the trouble to upgrade to version 2011.

11. m00nbl00d

When I tested in a virtual machine, sometime ago, I could not even start the uninstall process, at all. I reported it to AVG, but they said couldn't reproduce. I could reproduce it also in 3 different systems, though.

I hope that when their 2011 SP1 releases come out, that it solves many issues AVG users were/are having, and that it comes free of major/many bugs as much possible as it can.

12. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thanks.

I will wait.

13. m00nbl00d

I kind of miss this old one -http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/LinkScanner-Pro.shtml

I really liked its GUI, to be honest. -http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/LinkScanner-Pro-Screenshot-65324.html

Current version, by AVG is ~70MB vs ~4MB of old Exploit Prevention Labs version.

I just felt nostalgic. :D

14. m00nbl00d

According to AVG forum, since 20-1-2011 that no one complains about any problems. Good sign? :D

-http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=theme&act=show&id=203

Also, here are all changes made to LinkScanner 2011 since it first came out:

-http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=110703

I see from your signature that you make use of image backups. See if all the changes version 2011 introduced so far, plus no problems being reported since 20-1-2011 are good enough for you to want to give it a try. If something goes wrong, there's always the chance to replace the current image with one without issues.

I didn't notice it before, so that's why I mentioned to wait for 2011 SP1 to come out. Weight the pros and cons, and see what would be the best decision.

15. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

Is there any performance hit with this installed? What is the resource useage?

EDIT: Nevermind. I was gonna try it out until the I realized the installation was so insanely big that I just cancelled. This may be the very definition of BLOAT.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  16. m00nbl00d

Not exactly bloated. Be aware that AVG LinkScanner is provided in many languages and it works a bit different than its former "brother/sister", and that means it also makes use of a blacklist database. This ought to make the installer bigger.

You can always download via AVG download manager, which will only download the needed files. It won't be so big compared to the offline installer.

17. Watasha

Maybe that would help, I did opt out of the extra languages though. I just don't know if a package that big is worth it. I see your point though.

18. m00nbl00d

My past experiences with AVG LinkScanner, except a few minor glitches, is that it was not heavy. If it's worthy enough, that means there must be a balance between the "big" application/package as you put it and its efficiency.

I can tell you that from all URLs hosting exploits, LinkScanner has always been able to block access to them. It does what it is supposed to do.

19. Watasha

I'm still toying with the idea of trying it out, I've tried to find the resource usage to no avail. I use Comodo Dragon browser (Chromium based) so the Search Shield won't work. I may try it anyway, I can always uninstall...

20. m00nbl00d

AVG has added Safe-Search support to Chrome. I don't know if it would appear in other Chromium based browsers.

Source

21. Watasha

It's not working on Dragon but I don't see why it wouldn't, they share the same source code & all of Chrome's themes & extensions work with Dragon.o_O

22. m00nbl00d

I'm afraid I'm not much help there. I truly can't tell why it doesn't show in COMODO Dragon browser. Perhaps, minor differences which make it not appear o_O

I guess you could go to their forum and ask them to support it, or send a request through this feedback form -http://www.avg.com/ww-en/customer-feedback

Still, what truly matters is the Surf-Shield protection, in my opinion, which works regardless of the browser. This is the component protecting against exploits.

But, besides this "issue", how is it running? All OK?

23. Watasha

Actually yes, everything seems fine. Since I don't see ratings & I haven't ran across a bad site, I haven't actually got to see it in action but it doesn't seem to slow down browsing any. If I'm correct on the processes it's running at about 3,500K pretty steady.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Any tests done on this scanner? :D

25. m00nbl00d

Hello Watasha,

Great to know all is OK. :)

By the way, if you'd like to know how an AVG LinkScanner alert would be, you can run this test by Exploit Prevention Labs (the company bought by AVG). You need to have javascript enabled for the test to run successfully.

-http://www.explabs.com/test/

It's just a test to show you that LinkScanner is, in fact, working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.