AVG LinkScanner 2011 free standalone is in the cloud.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LODBROK, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Is the protection similar to Prevx safe onlineo_O I want something to run with MSE for an added layer of protection.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Which one? LinkScanner or Emsisoft's?

LinkScanner works differently from SafeOnline. By the way, you may get an alert telling you (LinkScanner) that you need to uninstall MSE due to conflicts. There are no conflicts. But, if you wish LinkScanner you'll have to uninstall MSE, then install LinkScanner, and then MSE again.

I was able to install over MSE, though. AVG states it will ask you to uninstall MSE and won't let install otherwise. (It's damn pure marketing.)

3. brainrb1

Thanks m00nbl00d. I wanted to know if the protection offered by AVG LinkScanner and Prevx Safe online are similar, if not what are the differences. I have used Safe online with MSE before and wanted to know if AVG Linkscanner offers more layers of protection (the installation file size looks big). :)

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well SOL isnt a linkscanner first of all so theres a major difference, and while SOL will protect u from exploits, its job is not to scan sites to look for exploits, SOL would provide better protection for sure

5. m00nbl00d

Well, according to SafeOnline settings, it blocks malicious websites, but I'm not sure if it does in the free facebook version, though. I wonder if it's Prevx antimalware component that actually blocks it? But, I'm guessing that it would be only known malware?

LinkScanner is aimed at

Attached Files:

• pso.jpg
      pso.jpg
      File size:
      120.8 KB
      Views:
  6. m00nbl00d

If it doesn't look up sites for exploits, then how does it protect against exploits?

If both are different, then it's unfair to say it would be better off having PSO, or having LinkScanner.

Family members are running both just fine.

7. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

EMSISOFT's is like HOSTS file (or adblocker / Spywareblaster) but only for the browser. :)
    and can be set to notify you when a site is blocked.

8. m00nbl00d

OK. Thanks.

But, I was referring to Prevx SafeOnline. lol ;)

9. m00nbl00d

By the way, forgot to mention, but AVG in a next update may already allow users to continue installation of AVG LinkScanner, when it detects the so-called conflicting applications.

10. firzen771

theyre different in the same way an adblocker is different than a full antivirus, not saying thats an accurate comparison, but theyre different products using different methods to achieve similar goals (although SOL protects a broader area of goals) so THAT is why SOL is better

11. m00nbl00d

And, what goal is that? Help keeping a system clean? I agree. But, as you say, they work differently, as in against different types of threats, and therefor you cannot say one is better than the other. You need to place oranges in one basket and apples in the other. Just because apples have different vitamins, you can't say apples are worse than oranges, or vice-versa.

They provide different ways of protecting, to protect against different types of threats.

12. firzen771

no they do not protect against different "threats"... they both protect against exploits, only diff is linkscanner ONLY protects against that alongwith its site ratings, SOL protects from keylogger, screenloggers, and many other things (someone posted a picture to show all the things it covers)

so while SOL may not be what u need and linkscanner applies better for ur needs, SOL provides a much broader scope of protection than linkscanner hence why it is a better solution if ur looking purely at which of the 2 will protect u better.

13. m00nbl00d

I haven't seen anywhere that SOL protects against exploits. Could you provide me with information? I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm just saying I see no information pointing in that direction. Not at the website, nor at the SafeOnline settings (it only mentions KNOWN malicious web sites).

And, you have no idea how LinkScanner works, and perhaps you haven't even read this thread, at all, otherwise you'd know what it protects against, and you wouldn't make such an affirmation.

So, before stating and affirming that LinkScanner only protects against exploits and displays ratings, I'd make a little research first.

No need to be sarcastic. I know exactly what I posted or didn't post, thank you.

You could compare SOL to, let's say SpyShelter or Trusteer Rapport, which also aim to offer those protections. These two go in that line. LinkScanner doesn't, and there for you can't say it's a worse solution than SOL.

14. firzen771

lol i wasnt being sarcastic, i didnt check who posted the picture, i just remember someone did... and ok ill start from the beggining thru the things it protects...

"Protects URL grabbing attacks" - do u assume exploits dont try to do this? ok so it doesnt stop the exploit itself, but it stops what the exploits tries to do, does that not accomplish the same end goal?

"isolate untrusted browser addons from data" - this is to prevent exploits in the addons from effecting ur system

"block browser process modification attempts" - yet again, stops exploits from potentially taking control of ur browser

"blocks malicious access to browser windows" - again, exploits could possibly make use of this and SOL will protect against it

many of the things in that checklist are things exploits attempt to... well... EXPLOIT to get access to and it stops those

and actually, here's what linkscanner does so i am correct in my assessment of it...

and that is from linkscanners own site. linkscanner checks sites if they are malicious, it wont protect keylogging, it wont protect against keylogging, it wont stop malware from taking control of ur browser, it wont do any of that because it simply checks links and sites ur on to see if theyre malicious based on its blacklist and exploit scanning

15. brainrb1

To achieve similar protection goal offered by Prevx SafeOnline ...60MB installer o_O by Linkscanner is confusing.

16. m00nbl00d

Sadly, what they say at the website is not all it does, and does not explain how it works. That's why, back then, I contacted with AVG by e-mail and was told about.
    But, since AVG LinkScanner is a free application from some time now, you're free to ask at their free forum what LinkScanner is all about.

Regarding Prevx SafeOnline protecting against exploits, here comes the answer straight from horse's mouth:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=284713

17. m00nbl00d

Again, different protecting roles. They do not aim to protect against the same sort of threats.

To clear any doubts, you're all free to go at the AVG free forum and ask a detailed information of how LinkScanner truly works.

From Prevx, as you may see from one of my previous posts, SOL does not offer protection against exploits. They sure know better than myself.

18. firzen771

19. firzen771

for some reason editting is not working :/

but anyways, yes they do perform different roles, so if i wanted a site rating program, i wouldnt go for SOL, but if ur looking for which of the 2 will keep ur system safer, SOL is the obvious winner, its scope of protection is much broader

20. m00nbl00d

Finally, we're starting to agree with each other. SOL has a much larger scope of protection. That was never in question or in doubt. Anyone who makes a little research about both, will come to that conclusion. But, LinkScanner is much more than an URL rating application.

I have installed both of them to family members, and since both work differently, they are a great complement to each, I think.

If we think of Prevx SafeOnline, as having both SafeOnline and Prexvx antimalware component protecting real-time, then yes it will provide a even larger scope of protection; but, not the type of protections provided by LinkScanner. And, that's where I wanted to get from the start. :)

Regards

21. firzen771

my only point was that SOL will protect u better out of the 2 and the only reason i would choose linkscanner is for site ratings

22. brainrb1

Yes. obviously the paid prevx safe online is good protection but i was concerned about the free facebook version of prevx and AVG linkscanner ..that if the type of protection differed (the level,type of protection provided by each). Are you using both together o_O if both are trying to achieve the same goal, whats the point of running both?

23. firzen771

they dont really try to achieve exactly the same goal, linkscanner gives u site ratings on search results and such while SOL does not, u culd run both i suppose, but if site ratings arent important to u, and u only want to run one of the two, SOL is the best option

24. brainrb1

60 MB... for ratings on search results :eek: ..why not use WOT and SOLo_O :)

25. m00nbl00d

I shall say, once again, that AVG LinkScanner does not limit itself to show ratings.
    It goes like this:

Source: http://free.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-2956#num-2956

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.