Avg internet security or Norton 2007 AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by maddawgz, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi ive been using avg Ins a while its been good with antispyware and all kept me clean so i though't id try norton hearing its lighter and better detection well apparently.... AVG caught maybe 3 trojans in 6months and loads of spyware cookies which should i keep as Norton found nothing so AVG was doing its job as far as memory goes i think they might be same browsing is fine loading is tad slow but avg was a little 2 tx MD :D

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

whichever you prefer really, both are good suites.

surely you must prefer one, you may think you dont know which.... but really you do, gut instinct ;)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In my opinion norton 2007 is by far the superior product between the two.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont know bigc,

avgs suite is pretty darn good too, we know nortons 2007 is aswell.

in terms of av, both are extremely good.
    in terms of a package, norton wins i think.
    but AVG (like Dr.Web :D .. had to sneak this in) has a very good SPAM detection.
    firewalls, well ... i think they both 'just work' so no comparisons there.

note: Norton 2007 suite can be purchased CHEAPLY! on ebay, whereas AVG not quite so.

so does that make me lean towards Norton 2007 suite, probably... but its close and i still think its personal choice here.

5. maddawgz

wellllllllllllll i dont LOL after installing NAV im impressed I think Norton may b better in the long run for thing like Worm protection etc..AVG isnt prob great at that side of things or avg has no inbound firewall even though i didnt use the firewall on AVG nor the spam module as i use hotmail..... and yahoo, not my mail isp , anyhooo only thing that bothers me is that tick green u dont get it unless you turn on Auto Updates which i hate i have them to notify me of them then i download them and when i tick that option it flashes in taskbar so have to have Auto updates on ...hmmmmmm and i like the application thing dangerous, in Norton anyhow ill give it a week see how i go i guess..... but geez way better then 2006 hogy one and im only on 384ram and pentium 3 oldy....... and and in the morning i used to check avg Vault always cookies in there Norton had nothing this Am.....unless it auto removed them..... TX B

Psttttttttt My gut says both lol

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for protection, id go with Norton.

7. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Bigc.,

You are the first person I have come across that doesn't want this
    Norton .... off their machine, and trying to get it off one's machine
    is on a par with trying to remove chewing gum from the sole of a shoe.

Don't you find it slows your machine to a crawl ?
    You saying it was a superior product had me wondering if this mess I went through was a fluke.

A lady friend bought a new Acer Laptop which had that thing bundled, so I used the usual Add/Remove to get rid of it, restarted, and then Regseeker Find to check if it was gone, approx. 100 bits and pieces of it remained on her machine which was still slow, but suddenly had a new problem, she could only rarely get her ISP via Dial-up and it would constantly drop out.

Then I found out on another Forum that it was not possible to get rid of Norton without using it's own Removal Tool, so I downloaded it, and also that
    WinsockXPfix tool.
    Ran the Norton tool, restarted, ran the Winsock, restarted, has not missed a beat since then, Dials up and holds the connection without blinking, but can you imagine going through that BS on a brand new machine due to something being pushed on you via bundling that you neither asked for nor wanted.

Hell will freeze over before I would have it near my machine, this is what
    can happen if one fluke's a wrong un.

Kind Regards.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

He's not the only one using it. I happen to like NIS 2007 and run it on my laptop, no slow downs or any other problems. I have installed/uninstalled it many times without problems just to try out different products. I think next to KIS 6, it's one of the best security suites available, in-terms of stability, ease-of –use, and detection. However, this is just my opinion…

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i agree, Norton 2007 is one of the best suites out there....

10. maddawgz

avg uses 36ram anyone know what norton 2007 uses no uninstall probs here not on dial up though might be why , Tx ? MD

11. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Between these two I'd go for Norton.

Detection: Norton
    Firewall: Norton
    Antispam: AVG
    GUI: Norton
    malware detection: AVG
    fast: Norton

12. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i can't believe we are even comparing norton with AVG!!!

norton can only be compared with AV's like kav,nod,mcafee........

norton here....no slowups,no un-install problems......

13. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

I will never have another Norton product on my machine as long as I am in computing!

I tried the Norton 2007 suite, and didnt like it for my own reasons. It did the job OK, but I just didnt like it.

After installation and then removal, the Windows Security Centre still says I have it installed. I have removed over 90 registry entries, but I still have files remaining somewhere that I cant find. Either that or its corrupted Windows somewhere. My friend had to re-instal Windows XP after removing Norton, and I am about to do the same.

My advice is run away from Norton as fast as you can. A virus would do less damage than Norton!!

:thumbd: :thumbd:

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Read through this thread How to remove dumb software from Security Center , hope that helps.

15. maddawgz

Hymm becuz malaware is more of a problem these days guess ill stick with avg , but norton removed fine without a glitch and i just deleted the symantec reg key no problems here with security centre AVG went back on np i have a funny feeling though 2007 NAV is bigger in ram then even the AVG suite yes?? .... :D

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

with the NIS2007 with the addon package here is what it uses in resources. I had to add liveupdate but negleted to place a pointer to it. with liveupdate it brings the total to 16.646mb. I don't care what anyone says, that is running really light for a suite.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  17. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

norton by far.

18. Legendkiller

i think this virtually seals the debate as far as "imaginary" slowness of norton is concerned........
    even nod32 takes more ram on my pc........20.1mb

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

less ram usage doesnt mean it slows you down less.
    ram is a factor but so is cpu etc
    lodore

20. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Delgado,

Did you use the Norton Removal Tool ?

You can't get rid of Norton's bits and pieces registry remains without it, but one run and a restart does the job.

21. Legendkiller

well i am using norton for years and i never had problems even with Norton-2003 on my P-I with 128mb ram
    And since then i have changed my ram/hdd/processor twice without any problems with any versions of norton..........

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i had problems with the 2003 version of norton and other people have had problems with 2004 and 2005 and even 2006 version.
    it seems finaly symantec listened and now the 2007 version, its almost a clean uninstall and uses less resource
    lodore

23. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

Yes I did use the Norton Removal Tool, in fact I ran it twice. I also used Registry Mechanic which found around 90 entries still there!

Nah-I will never use another Norton Product!!!

24. madaro

madaro Guest

I have tried both, both ran well on my system. I liked AVG better.

25. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

I used norton IS 2006 and 2007,bahh, I use KAV now, Just run Kaspersky-Internet Security 2007, Better than both by a mile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.