AVG Internet Security - any opinions?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fi_rob, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fi_rob

fi_rob Registered Member

I installed Windows Live One Care (free trial) and 8 days later had a call about attempted fraudulent use of my credit dard.

Fairly or not I've lost faith in Live and want to replace.

I'm a computer 'numpty'. Very basic knowledge. I use it for less than an hour a day and many days not at all.

I'm thinking of http://www2.grisoft.com/doc/products-avg-internet-security/lng/uk/tpl/tpl01? on the premise that it 'does it all' for me' and would be simple to manage.

Any thoughts? Is it enough protection? Too much? Would I need to install other programmes as well.

If its relevant I have Windows XP and use internet explorer.

Please be simple

thanks Fiona

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

So far, I have a good opinion of AVG. I have not tried their firewall yet, but have heard that that the AntiSpam is quite effective. However, by personal experience I can say that AVG is extremely effective for keeping your computer protected from malware. Detection rates are not the best, but still good anyway.

So, I do recommend you get AVG Internet Security, especially if price is a factor, because the price of USD 69.95 for 2 years is a steal! ;)

There are admittedly better products, but AVG is just fine as a product and it will serve you well. The only real problem with AVG at the moment is its somewhat stale interface (it doesn't look very good). But that is a personal opinion. ;)

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the suite is fantastic, your machine will boot super quick and have no effects in your pc performance.

as firecat said, the antispam is works, 90%+ easily caught.

im sure detection is great with ewido now thrown into the deal, and the firewall works in keeping people out of your computer :)

i highly recommend it.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I use the Anti spyware AVG 7.5 and love it because it is light and picks up the bad stuff nicely running live. My last check it picked up 3,900 items. It scans quickly also. :D

5. madaro

madaro Guest

I think this would be a good choice in your case and the protection offered "a cut above" Windows Live OneCare at this time. Both my younger brothers use AVG Internet Security and swear by it, they said, install and go...

6. Firecat

"A cut above"? :eek:

AVG, IMO is *much* better than OneCare in detection rates. That may not stand for long, but at this moment, it is, in fact, true.

7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

:thumb: agree

8. madaro

madaro Guest

That's what I meant, AVG is better, in all areas.

9. fi_rob

fi_rob Registered Member

Why might AVG not be better than windows live for much longer?

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well you never know the future.......

but i suspect windows onecare to be challenging in detection rates ... maybe, in 12 months time? or longer? or sooner?

im pretty sure they wont leave it as it is, lets not forget, microsoft have alot of people working for them, alot of power, alot of money and alot of resources to easily improve their product, i doubt microsoft would waste their time and money for a medicore product, if that.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Windows live is fairly new and will continue to develope and could in time turn into a good alternative to some of the other av products available now. But for now AVG will probably serve you better.

12. fi_rob

fi_rob Registered Member

Thank to everyone for replying. I've gone ahead and installed AVG:)
    fiona

13. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just wanted to know if anyone else using AVG Internet Security Suite noticed they now have two avgrssvc exe's running in Task Manager after latest Program Update? I do with one running at 40MB and most likely being the original, and a second one, or "the new one" runnng at 3.3 MB. I remember seeing Kernel something or other as being part of the new Update, and wonder if this second avgrssvc. exe isn't part of the Kernel Protection used by the regular AVG Anti-Spyware Program?

14. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

Two is normal, I asked their Tech Support.

15. duke1959

Hey KikiBibi, I also just saw and commneted on your Castle Cops post. Thanks for your reply as it eases my mind, but did they also tell you what the second avgrssvc exe was for? I know it wasn't there before this last Program Update.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  16. KikiBibi

Nope they told me not worry, it's added with build 446 and is normal to have two.

17. duke1959

Okay thanks. I still can't help but to wonder though if it has something to do with the Self Protection that AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Malware has. Just one more thing, do you know if AVG Anti-Spyware uses Heuristic Detection for its RealTime Guard? The website seems like that's what it's suggesting by mentioning the State of Art Detection AVG AS has, but it's a little unclear if this is meant for On Demand or RealTime detection. Take care.

18. duke1959

Got my answer for anyone else who wondered this.
    asked Grisoft Support only 1 day ago and already got this reply.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

If "Use Heuristic Analysis" option is enabled in the AVG Resident
    shield settings, it's applied on the both real time anti-virus and
    anti-spyware protections.

Heuristic analysis can be enabled/disabled as follows:
    - open AVG Control Center
    - double click on the Resident Shield component
    - tick/untick "Use Heuristic Analysis"
    - confirm the dialog by OK button

19. KikiBibi

I thought you were asking about the ewido.
    Thanks for the info.

20. Firecat

The heuristic analysis is enabled for both AV and AS engines in AVG Anti-Malware and AVG Internet Security. Though of course, I've rarely had heuristics picking up anything with AVG, except for two trojans and a lot of DOS malware....

21. duke1959

Okay Firecat. I also want to say that after the last Program Update, my ISS now loads faster in the System Tray after reboot, and without the 4 or five second delay it use to have there isn't anymore Security Center pop ups saying my AV isn't present.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  22. Firecat

Yeah, I remember that issue with the Security Center. Annoying little bugger. I reported it to tech support but they said to just ignore it as its nothing significant. Its very nice that its gone. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.