AVG Free - Version 8.5 Is Official Now!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, yes. That sales campaign (pop-up) only lasted one month.

2. progress

progress Guest

Hey :D Thank you :thumb:

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, you're welcome! Take care.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Perhaps you are aware that AVG Paid has released version 9.0.663 today. This AVG Paid article: AVG Goes Back to Basics with AVG 9.0, under Availability and pricing, states:

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Today, the Updates page is now showing version 8.5.420, dated September 24th, 2009.

The Documentation page is showing User Manual 8.5.7, with a new date of October 6th, 2009.

6. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

During the uninstallation of the trial version of AVG 9 paid antivirus the user is offered to switch from AVG 9 paid trial to AVG free version but I do not know is it AVG 8.5 free or new AVG 9 free version?

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Zimzi, that's a question that you should ask AVG since a trial offer (if you have the trial version) has Customer Support.

Because AVG offers a 30 day Product Trial, more than likely, the Free version would be available by then (mid-October availability). However, if one were to suspend the trial before the 30 days and the new Free version 9.0's arrival, I assume (?) that it would revert back to the present 8.5 version. Perhaps it could still be a 9.0 version but with limited functionality.

That's an intriguing question and if you find the correct answer, do post back.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Today, I received an unexpected Program Update to version 8.5.421:

avg421update.gif

No Release Notes have been posted in the Free Forums yet. Checking the Updates page, it shows version 8.5.421, dated October 4th, 2009.

The Documentation page has changed again, same User Manual version 8.5.7, but with a date of October 7th, 2009. o_O

The Installation Files page still shows version 8.5.420 (avg_free_stf_en_85_420a1708.exe), but with a date of October 7th, 2009. Weird.

9. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I am wondering if you have to uninstall 8.5 to put 9 on
    robin

10. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Re: AVG Free - Version 8.5 Is Official Now!- how to install 9.0 for paid versions

ok here is the website to upgrade from 8.0 to 9.0 for the paid versions

upgrade license for avg 8.0 users

http://www.avg.com/us-en/upgrade-8-9

if you cannot find it you can type in
    faq 2578

all you need to do is copy your license from AVG to this site. You can also ask for the license to be sent to you via email.

AVG says to just install it - you do not have to uninstall 8.5

I do not know what you have to do for the free version, the free version is not up yet at their site

robin

11. robinb

robinb Registered Member

ok i upgraded to 9.0 AVG antivirus Pro. It did the wirest thing. As it was installing it said there was an incompatablity with certain programs but the box was completely blank and showed no programs. I allowed it to continue and so far i am ok but time will see.

robin

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Something weird is going on with the Installation Files and Documentation pages. The version dates have changed since my earlier post today.

It seems that the version dates (and not the actual version numbers) keep increasing daily, as each day passes, but I'm not sure whether that assumption is correct or there has been an actual change of the same versions. :doubt:

Never seen this pattern of behavior on these pages before.

13. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I have several licenses with AVG and i just installed 9.0 on another computer and got the exact same thing while it was installing, says there is a incompatablity issue with another software but the box it shows has nothing in it and i scrolled up and down in it 3x.

this must be some kind of bug

anyone else seeing this?

robin

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Today, from the Free Forums regarding New Program Version 8.5.421:
    The only issue is: I received it via Normal Update, and because there are no Release Notes, have no idea what this new version entails. o_O

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. AVG Free 8.5.421 - Release Notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.