AVG Free - Version 8.5 Is Official Now!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progress

progress Guest

It looks like the answer is: No :(

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, I guess it depends on your surfing habits. I have GMER and RootkitRevealer but they never find anything so I'm not inclined to pay for this AVG feature.

Here's a nice list of Rootkit Detection & Removal Software (posted previously by the Tester).

3. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

before when i did Use Avg i did make An rootkit scan and AVG found rootkits who Avgs one hidden rootkit and Avg Say its Harmful rootkis and want to delete them so i deleted Them Than restart computer... Destroy my computer total its deleted my internet deviecs. avg did stop working internet exploerer did deleets. alot of file did get gone.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Today, the Installation Files page is showing version 8.5.392 (dated July 9, 2009) while the Updates page continues to show version 8.5.375 (dated June 18, 2009).

Re: AVG 8.5.392 Free - Release Notes
    New version has not come via Normal Update to my AVG yet.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. My AVG Free was updated, via Normal Update, to version 8.5.392 today:

2009-07-17_162632.gif

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Almost everytime there seem to be lots of the components getting updated. :) Are there any real changes in functionality or such, or what's the reason? It isn't exactly seldom nowadays to say the least. :D

7. progress

progress Guest

Every time a new language :D

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

raven211, as ance aptly described it, 2 recent major language additions (Chinese and Russian) have occurred, so I assume the component's updates are part of those changes because the Release Notes do not offer any other indication. I do capture and post the image so AVG users can see the changes, that I see with my AVG.

As to functionality, I can't tell any difference between versions, however, English is my AVG's default language. Perhaps other users with different default languages, who are reading this thread, could post their impressions. Wilders certainly welcomes your input!

9. progress

progress Guest

This is also new :gack:

Attached Files:

• new.JPG
      new.JPG
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
  10. raven211

So they're gonna go with a nag similar to that of Avira, only that it's built-in and can't be disabled? :ouch:

11. progress

progress Guest

I don't know how to disable it, JRViejo where are you? :'(

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, I'm here! When does this pop-up appears? I'm running the latest version and haven't seen it.

13. progress

progress Guest

:D

I don't know when exactly, but you can read this thread :rolleyes:

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

That thread doesn't say much, except that someone click the Learn More button once and the advert did not come back. Going back to my original thread and the second one, make sure all those files are set to .bak. As I said, I'm not seeing the pop-up. Let me know if you find one filename that was not.

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, I did find these 2 files in the Notification folder, with a July 17, 2009 date:

upgrade-oportunity-avg85-message1.html and upgrade-oportunity-avg85-message2.html (the one you posted).

But my AVG is not triggering them, so it has to be one of those files in my 2 threads!

16. progress

progress Guest

Yes, these files are renamed to .bak :oops: What about this file: avgsbfree_us.mht

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

OK, I'll let you know if I do. In the meantime, I'll dig around a bit and see if I can come up with something. Hang loose!

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, that's the one!!! I have set it to .bak and that's why I don't see it. Try it; let me know.

19. progress

progress Guest

I also have set it to .bak but the nag screen is still there :mad:

20. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Getting excited about a new AVG Free release is akin to exclaiming, "The new phone book's here, the new phone book's here!" :ouch:

21. progress

progress Guest

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, they got me too! Today, I got the pop-up as well, so they have changed tactics and perhaps hiding the trigger in an executable. Not all is lost.

In my post #65, I gave you the two pages where the adverts reside and I have tweaked them as a computer greeting so when it pops, my PC welcomes me. Anyone who knows HTML can do the same but I'm not going to post the tweak here.

Should AVG keep their word and run the campaign for only a month, I believe we all can live with that, after all, they are trying to sell us a product by offering a free version. Time will tell if their word is good.

23. raven211

First it looks promising with all the frequent updates - then they blow it. Another reason to stay away. :rolleyes: :ouch:

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

raven211, I don't think it's as dire as that, although with MSE in the horizon, I'm sure we'll see more pop-ups throughout the entire AV industry wanting our money... NOW! ;)

25. raven211

I mean no offence - and I've always disliked "avnotify" of Avira - but with AVG going downhill thanks to lost respect since the release of v8 even, I'm not too surprised. They seem to be lacking behind in the tech. department compared to other companies as well, but won't say more as I don't have enough knowledge about (security software) revenue and the like. I'm just thinking about their economic situation considering the things I mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.