AVG Free Upgraded to 8.0.233

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progress

progress Guest

Yes, it seems that AVG Free 8.0.233 includes LinkScanner Pro (called Surf Shield). It protected me when I was using Firefox ;)

I agree :thumb:

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Great to hear it. If I well remember, Surf Shield was not part of the free version. Only Search-Shield was part of it. Great move by AVG!

Now the free version only needs the anti-rootkit protection. :D The Pro version doesn't offer rootkit real-time protection, though. So, no big loss. Nothing that people can't check with other tools. ;)

3. progress

progress Guest

Right, but AVG Anti-Virus will get another feature: "Anti-Bot" *puppy*

4. m00nbl00d

Yes, indeed. But, better have Surf-Shield in the free version, than not having both Surf-Shield and antibot technology.

There's Trend Micro RUBotted Beta, but it will only detect and not prevent or stop any bot related activity, unfortunately.

One other option for XP users, would be to use RUBotted Beta and/or BotHunter - http://www.bothunter.net/ (guide for Windows XP use - http://www.bothunter.net/doc/users_guide-WIN.html)

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

This morning I received the program update notification to the new version 8.0.233 and this is why I like AVG so much. Many of you know that I did not install the LinkScanner and Web Search features, plus eliminated the automatic updates and scans at boot-up.

In every program update, since the start of AVG 8.0, AVG respects my decision, only downloading the necessary components for my configuration. This is what I saw first:

2009-01-30_100851.gif

After installation, I was asked to restart my PC, which I did. Right afterward, I tested the manual Update function (users in the AVG Free Forum have stated problems with this after updating) and received the latest Virus DB 270.10.16/1926 without a hitch. Next I went looking for changes in the Tools > Advanced settings.

The main Maintenance setting has been deleted, replaced by the Virus Vault setting (was a sub-setting before):

2009-01-30_112404.gif

A new setting appears within the Scans called Removable Device Scan (not enabled by default) and this is a very exciting feature:

2009-01-30_112721.gif

I enabled the setting, changing it to Fast scan and plugged in a USB drive; AVG notified me and started scanning the drive right away. I opened the GUI and after scanning, received the results below. While the scan took almost 18 1/2 minutes (1 GB PNY Attache Drive, 462 MB full, 15,090 objects), which is slow even with the Fast scan setting, I'm glad to see this new feature being incorporated. Note: the Warning you see is because I have switched to Manual updates.

2009-01-30_123655.gif

My findings continue in the next post.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

In the Update setting, the Use DNS update has been checked by default and a new Check computer time section has been added:

2009-01-30_113050.gif

A new Manage setting has been added to the Update settings. I like the fact that you can now remove all Temp update files and able to revert to the previous database version, in case there are any issues with a new DB. The grayed out button will become active as soon as a new DB is installed.

2009-01-30_113127.gif

Using Process Explorer, these are the present processes running in my AVG configuration (notice the addition of 2 Scanning Core Module processes):

avgwdsvc.exe - AVG Watchdog Service - 2,472K
    avgrsx.exe - AVG Resident Shield Service - 532K
    avgcsrv.exe - AVG Scanning Core Module - Server - 456K
    avgemc.exe - AVG E-Mail Scanner - 1,004K
    avgcsrvx.exe - AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part - 8,568K
    avgtray.exe - AVG Tray Monitor - 832K

Still don't have the avgnsx.exe so I assume that it must a component of either the Surf Shield, LinkScanner and/or Web Search, that I don't use in my configuration.

Overall, kudos to AVG for the new version and most importantly, for respecting my desire to tweak their program. Very welcomed, indeed!

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Considering that those were test sites instead of actual exploits, neither am I.

8. m00nbl00d

Yes, that's right. And, that's why I wasn't surprised it didn't prevent them. But, should they be real tests, would it prevented them, though? Question stays in the air.

Regards

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. progress

progress Guest

AVG Free 8.0.233 Surf Shield also works with Opera :thumb:

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I'm really impressed with the new Removable Device Scan feature. Turned on my HP printer this morning and immediately saw an AVG pop-up in the tray notification area, advising me that "No infection was found during this scan." o_O

I was taken aback for a moment, until I realized that my printer is hooked up to the PC via a USB port. Then, :) :D :cool: :thumb:

12. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

'Surf-Shield' is dead on my .233,
    only
    'Search-Shield' is Active, which is a much lesser light, because it's free.

13. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I am finding on some of my clients it takes forever to do this update in the free version, it tries to update then comes "connection failed". Also on some of the computers the webshield is not installing and on some it does but it says it is disabled and I had to reinstall the program to get it to work.

robin

14. m00nbl00d

That's odd.

According to this
    you should have it.

Source, which someone mentioned previously: http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1660#faq_1660

Maybe the implementation won't be done at the same time to every user...

15. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Odd is correct Moon. thanks - It looks as though it's a case of AVG's right hand has no idea what it's left hand is upto - I have Linkscanner showing as Active in the user interface, I have those nsx.exe's running online - but then
    this page tells that 'Safe-Surf' should be dead - it might be a better idea if
    AVG had enough nous to realise NOT to call these things such confusingly similar names - I can't tell if 'Safe-Search' is 'Search-Shield' or could it actually be be 'Surf-Shield', 'Safe-Surf', or even 'Surf-Safe', but in Sheeps-clothing - who knows !!!!

http://www.avg.com/special-get-comprehensive-protection-tlbrf.tpl-mcr1

16. m00nbl00d

Yes, indeed. Similar names confuse people. I talk for experience. :D

Anyway, I can ensure those users of AVG free that the components of Linkscanner Pro are Search-Shield and Surf-Shield.

I use AVG 8 Pro in one system and those are the same names. So, if you still don't have it, then I guess it will come some time later. Otherwise, wouldn't make sense, for some to have it while others don't.

Regards

17. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Moon. - Am I misunderstanding here - you refer to Linkscanner Pro - the addy/link I gave says 'Free' does NOT have 'Surf-Shield', and clicking down lower on the page takes one to a page where it explains precisely that 'Free' does NOT cover one for other than 'Search-Shield'.

Surely they would have Deleted those pages if they have been superceded -
    or would they.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MICRO, when it comes to the Free version, AVG has always been super slow in updating all its Web pages on the Free site.

Case in point: the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0 User Manual page shows June 18, 2008 as the date of issue. According to FileHippo, version 8.0.101 came out around June 25, 2008. The previous version 8.0.100, which was the first AVG 8.0, came out around April 24, 2008. So that manual is at least 7 versions old!

Comparing it to the Paid Pro Version Documentation page, that manual shows a December 4, 2008 issue date.

19. progress

progress Guest

The link is not up to date ;)

20. m00nbl00d

First, I apologize, if somehow, I confused you. It was not my intention.

When I talking here, about LinkScanner Pro, I'm talking about the components included in AVG8 Pro, which are "Search-Shield" and "Surf-Shield".

Until now, the "Search-Shield" was the only option available in AVG8 Free, which corresponded to LinkScanner Lite. Now, it seems, according to users of the free version and to this page http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1660#faq_1660, that the full version of LinkScanner Pro is now part of AVG8 Free.

As someone already mentioned, the official page of their free product, is always late on updates.

Can you confirm that on your AVG8 Free UI (user interface), under the section "LinkScanner", if you have or not both LinkScanner Pro components ("Search-Shield" and "Surf-Shield")?

Regards

21. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Moon., I can confirm that on opening Linkscanner it is ONLY the
    'Search-Shield' that is checked and 'Active' - the other is checked, but DEAD,
    same as on IE's face.

MAYBE some have both
    'Active' (which would seem slightly peculiar but, but, but, not beyond the realms) - I have not seen other than 'ance' and 'Eice' mention 'Surf-Shield', or 'Web-Shield' as Eice referred to it from some areas of AVG,
    as being 'Active' in Free - JRV doesn't use LS.

I am sure all will become clearer in the fullness of time - or will it.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MICRO, perhaps you need to follow this FAQ: Problems after update to AVG Free Edition 8.0.233 due to your AVG's inactive component.

23. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks once again JRV., - This is now approaching a saga - My problem is that I am still not convinced that this
    thing called 'Surf-Shield' SHOULD be 'Active' in the FREE version - I did all the downloading/installing of .233 when asked, approx. 12+ Meg and AVG continually updates without showing any errors, or showing anything Red
    (which usually denotes something missing, or inactive). I read the AVG page stating that it was to be 'Active' but then the conflicting pages,
    (albeit dateless and versionless).
    I don't really relish re-downloading etc. as your page suggests until I can be
    definite, and I can only imagine that will take time, for AVG to get their act together and tidy up their backyard so that the ONLY pages on show are
    the applicable ones.
    When I click on the IE dead 'Surf-Shield' it says," click here to get this valuable protection" - so I click and it takes me to the AVG page that says
    sorry you must upgrade, this protection is not available in the Free version.

24. gery

gery Registered Member

Does AVG PRO protect against rootkits or you have to do a manual scan to find out if you are infected?

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, I don't run Pro but according to Page 45 in the AVG's User Manual, it states "Search for rootkits - since the rootkit scan is not an implicit part of the Scan of the whole computer, you can run the rootkit scan directly from the Anti-Rootkit interface using this button" so it seems like a separate scan is needed. Here are more FAQs on the subject:

How to enable/disable scanning for rootkits in AVG test configuration | Detection of known rootkits

Perhaps someone who uses Pro will advise soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.