AVG Free & guard.exe

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by screamer, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I always thought that guard.exe was the resident shield in AVG 7.5 (paid version) I let my subscription lapse so I could use the free version w/o guard*, but guard.exe starts w/ AVG. Up until a day or two ago guard would quit after a minute or so, but now it stays active as long as AVG is open.

Do I need to restrict guard.exe in SSM "Restricted" applications?

Anyone have a clue?

...screamer

*guard.exe slows my box down

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I have guard.exe disabled thru Winpatrol.Still scans on demand just fine.
    Guard.exe is not needed with free on demand only version.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  3. Get

Get Guest

Go to Start-> Run-> type : services.msc -> rightclick AVG Anti-Spyware Guard -> Properties-> under Service status click Stop-> next to Startup type choose Disabled-> click Apply.

4. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Amazing! :)

I was about to post a message asking the same question as Screamer. My trial also expired today, and I noticed that my AVG Anti-Spyware Guard service was not running and the exe file didn't load at startup, although the service was still set to "automatic".

I just disabled the service but I did notice (using Sysinternals Autoruns) that:

1) The AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 shellexecutehook.dll still loads here:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks

This I don't mind, as I like to right click and scan individual files and folders.

2) The AVG Anti-Spyware Driver guard.sys is still loading in the registry:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

I'm going to check again after rebooting, since I just disabled the AVG guard service.

The questions I have are:

a) Does it make sense to uninstall the trial version and reinstall the free version of AVG, or will the same drivers load again? In other words, does the trial version load any excess drivers that are needed by those who have the pay version?

b) If I install SpywareTerminator for my resident anti-malware shield, do I need WinPatrol? Wouldn't it be better to have multi-layered security?

I'm currently using Teatimer with Spyware Guard, but after reading this board, it seems that most here are using the free version of WinPatrol. How is Regdefend (free version)?

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Thanks Guys, Done!

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.