AVG detects virus in TDS-3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phduffey, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phduffey

phduffey Registered Member

For the last two weeks, AVG when run detects a "virus" in TDS-3. which it identifies as hidden extensions .shs. It says it has "Healed" the virus, but it finds it again next time. Will someone please comment.

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) I'm not an expert in TDS-3 but I've used it and I also use AVG. This is most likely what we call a false-positive. TDS-3 is an extremely versatile application. The reason it is coming back is perhaps it is a file needed by the program?

Tip: When you use scanning software such as an AV, when it detects a "virus," you can save yourself a lot of later grief if you quarantine that file first. If it turns out to be a false-positive you will not have lost that valuable file. ;)

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

It seems AVG free doesnt give you the option to choose what to do with the guard ? This is not good.. can you note the filename and let us know ?

You could possibly disable it and get a copy of the file but let us know what it is called first just in case. If we can see the file then we can give you a better indication of what to do to get rid of it forever.

Also its because you are scanning ZIP file and TDS unzips to a temp folder to scan it. So turn off ZIP/RAR scanning in TDS Scan Control to stop it ? :) if this works next scan then you know its in a zip somewhere..

4. phduffey

Gavin, It is elusive and hard to find. There is a TDS-3 ZIP filewhich I tried to attach. It is called TDS3ZIP, scrap object, 11kb. I have turned off the ZIP/RAR and will scan again. Paul

p.s. When I tried to post the reply, the program would not allow me to upload an shs file.

C:\Trojan Killer\Trojan killer\TDS3\TDS3.ZIP.shs

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

In order to keep this board a safe place for all, we have restricted the extensions allowed for upload. I do hope you'll understand. Please send the file to Gavin using PM.
    regards,

paul

6. phduffey

I just deleted the file and emptied the trash. Sorry

7. Kulsar

Kulsar Registered Member

I wouldn't trust any file that is double extended and I don't know what it does. Get AVG to quarantine it. IF TDS3 looses functionality you'll know why.

8. phduffey

I deleted the file and TDS-3 still works fine. Don't know what it did, but nothing good. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.