AVG conflict

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Reynolds, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynolds

Reynolds Registered Member

Hey guys,

I purchased Ewido Plus on the basis that I could use it with another program, namely AVG Free Edition. However, when I download the test virus Ewido does not detect that it is a virus. AVG free version does. In fact, even when I scan the file individually Ewido fails to find the test virus! I have to disable AVG Free Edition to get Ewido to find the file. Does this mean that Ewido is totally useless when AVG Free Edition is running? It certainly seems so:

Here is Ewido failing to find the file normally with AVG finding it automatically:

This is Ewido failing to find the Virus following a manual scan, with AVG finding it automatically on its manual scan: Image removed. Please use a maximum size of 800x600 for images. ~ Ron

I will uninstall AVG if I have to but I wanted to run both of them for maximum protection, any suggestions? Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2006
  2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

no conflict its just avg caught the virus first

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Proper behaviour from multi level security.

4. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

We intentionally designed ewido anti-malware this way in order to be most compatible. :)

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Hi Reynolds,

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding here. An AV will always have first bite of the cherry because it is scanning realtime all files as they are written to, or read from, hard drive. If AVG is capable of finding something it will; at the first opportunity.

But what happens with things that slip by AVG? Then ewido's guard will be offering you another layer of defence since it scanning memory and can intercept nasties before they get going there.

Don't forget that AVG free doesn't even find adware/spyware:-

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5484/lng/us/tpl/v5

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5481/lng/us/tpl/v5

So ewido could come in very useful, at least it should give some extra peace of mind.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I run AVG and Ewido on a number of machines.
    No conflicts whatsoever. And Ewido IS very useful.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.