AVG can't get along with EWIDO?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cauthon, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cauthon

Cauthon Registered Member

So, so I downloaded AVG and asked it to go to work, and it said I ain't workin here no more, you already have Ewido, get rid of that and then maybe I can help you.

I never installed Ewido on this machine, and I doubt very much if anyone else has either. Nevertheless, I used Windows Explorer to hunt for Ewido (always did enjoy hunting) but found nothing. What the bleep could be going on here?

This is not the first time, but the other time was the other way around. I downloaded one of Panda's goodies, and it refused to do anything until I got rid of AVG. That made a little more sense, since I had used AVG on that machine. But, I got rid of anything I could find that looked like AVG, and when that didn't work, I re-installed AVG and uninstalled it, and the Panda still was not happy. This machine is all bleeped up and I would really like to get it cleaned up or at least make some progress in that direction, but fate is against me.

Help?

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Quick note Ewido and AVG antispy are now discontinued try downloading revo-uninstaller and see if helps :D

3. Cauthon

Cauthon Registered Member

Well, at least now I have revo-uninstaller, and that will probably be good for various things. OTOH, it can't find ewido on my machine, which makes sense, because as noted above, I don't think we ever had it. I look forward to a reply from AVG, because I don't see any way that this can be OK, and it will be interesting to see what they say about it. Their software is having hallucinations, so it thinks ewido is on the machine when it is not:)

Some people in another thread were recommending

SAS (SUPERAntispyware
    MBAM (Malwarebytes)
    A-Squared

so, maybe I should go and hunt (always did enjoy hunting) for one of those instead.

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

If you are familiar with the use of regedit, try hunting for leftover Ewido keys. (Though I don't see how they could be there if you've never had it. Maybe there's a leftover there that AVG merely thinks is Ewido.)
    AVG provide a AVG removal tool that should zap its (AVG's) leftovers. (version 8.##)
    So do Panda. Selct the version, open the page, select the uninstall info.
    Of course, you could try a different AV. The one in my sig is darned good.
    MBAM, SAS, and A2 are also darned good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.