AVG better than McAfee? (read)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by notageek, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I would Like to know what everyone thinks. Acourding to Leo Laporte (sp?) from TechTvs call for help/ screen savers AVG is better than McAfee and norton. I think he's full of you know what. What does everyone else think?

2. Trans

Trans Registered Member

I don't know the reasons that this guy with the funny name has to say this about AVG but I refuse even to try Norton or McAfee after all the problems I've seen that these two programs usually create,especially Norton and NIS...
    (at work and friend's machines).

If these were the only three programs to have I would also prefer AVG...
    Fortunately there are more out there !!!

A guy said in a forum "McAfee IS a Virus" :) :) :)

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I have never used Norton, but the only time I ever tried McAfee it corrupted my Windows upon install and it would not run or uninstall. I had to repair install Windows after using very "rough" tactics to get McAfee off the system.

Of course, this is just my experience but yes it was a full version of version 7 or something like that.

4. sig

sig Registered Member

I wonder why Leo L. said that. From a purely detection standpoint, I'd give the lead to McAfee based on what I've read and heard. But perhaps from the standpoint of other PC issues (such as people have referred to here) AVG is probably less problematic on some people's PC's.

I've only used the free AVG on my laptop so don't know about the latest Pro version. But certainly the free version is fairly light in terms of impact on PC performance, user friendly and adequate for those who are careful in their computing practices to begin with.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used mcafee for years and have never had a problem with it since version 6.0 and I have used avg, and for a free av it is alright but it is not in the same class as norton or mcafee. Any professional that knowswhat they are talking about would never make the statement that AVG was a better av than norton or mcafee.

6. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I'm using McAfee 7.0 it's been working good so far. I had a few problems with it but got them fix right away. I also used AVG6 on my win 98 box and got infected with a virus that AVG never found but when I did an online scan and a McAfee scan it found the virus. I sent the file to Grisoft and eplained to them what McAfee found and they thanked me and added the virus to their def. This was over a year ago. Now McAfee is finding dcombob.exe as a program. I don't know that mean but what ever. :) The program came from GRC.com. haven't tried AVG since I had my new computer with XP.

Leo was talking about AVG 6 (free). I emailed him and asked him why would he make such a claim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.