AVG AV Free Edition 9.0 Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

no way JRViejo i seriously think that that is the best option for AVG free. Many would gladly sacrifice email scanner to have better protection. U should start using web email providers such as yahoo hotmail or gmail and voila no need for email scannng:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

2. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Registered Member

JRViejo:

Still running 8.5 Free, but want to confirm some things for when the time comes. :)

So this install file here:
    http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-afg#tba2
    AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
    (avg_free_stf_all_90_814a2810.exe)

...is the one that actually works now with the older versions of ZA?

I think I'll download and save it in case AVG breaks it again before I have to update to 9.0 Free. ;)

And how's it working so far?

Thanks!

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

BC, yes, that is the installation file that you should have and it is the same version I have.

Also, in this Tools Download page, you'll find the avgremover.exe and you should download that file as well, just in case. Keep in mind that I originally installed version 9.0 over version 8.5 and I believe you should be able to do the same, when the time comes. Study this thread well, prior to.

So far, everything is fine but I still have not had the time to run scans and report back. I hope to have some free time this weekend to do so. Take care.

JR

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. The Documentation page shows a new User Manual 9.0.13, dated March 19, 2010.

5. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

Is there a true way of removing AVG Linkscanner? I am not a computer whiz, but I spent the most of last night doing things that were suggested and had no luck. It is wanting to control my system and will not allow my software ( firewalls and such) to function as the should.

Twodogs44

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

AVG has a component based installer, so I think the best option would be to reinstall it and then uncheck the Linkscanner component in the installation. Maybe it is also possible through repair setup or change setup.

7. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

I did that and once it said it had everything removed, I was told it needed to reboot and I gave it permission to do so. I sat for 15 minutes waiting for it to do it's next step.Nothing happened! So I rebooted it myself and when the system was back up EVERYTHING was still there.

Now what? I am getting tired of it! It has my COMODO Firewall screwed up like a wooden watch, I cannot keep it at a safe setting. I reset it and AVG Stinkscan resets it to where it wants it.

Twodogs44

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

twodogs44, follow this How to uninstall AVG Security Toolbar FAQ and see if the LinkScanner goes away.

The other option is to completely remove AVG using the remover.exe (found in my post #203) and then do a Custom Installation removing the LinkScanner component (Page 17 of the User Manual - see my Post #204).

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Had to the chance to run version 9.0.814 scans earlier today and here's that promised report. First, took a screen capture of the Task Manager:

avg90814TMb4scan.gif

The Fast Scan Whole Computer took about an hour and 26 minutes to scan 508,575 objects.

avg90814firstscantime.gif

My CPU fan kicked in 13 times! during the above test, while scanning these files:

Thunderbird, FileZilla Portable, Gimp Portable, Kompozer Portable, NSIS Portable, OpenOffice Portable (twice), VLC Player Portable, Screamer Radio Portable, Common Files (mainly Microsoft Shared\Web Components), Dreamweaver MX 2004, Microsoft Office 2003 (twice).

I guess-estimate that the CPU averaged 90% during the first scan and thought that it was more aggressive than the first time I did this test (my Post #128 ). The completed scan found 4 (known by me) False Positives, which were moved to the Virus Vault:

avg90814scanresults.gif

Afterward, I checked the Task Manager to see if the AVG processes had quieted down:

avg90814TMafterfirstscan.gif

Next post: 2nd scan.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Before initiating the second test, I restored the 4 False Positives back to their proper places so the test would be the same. Fast Scan Whole Computer took about 31 minutes to scan 418,903 objects, about 90,000 objects less than the first scan.

avg90814secondscantime.gif

My CPU fan never once kicked in during the second test and I guess-estimate that the CPU Usage was an average of 65% during this test. The completed scan found the same 4 (known by me) False Positives, which were moved to the Virus Vault. Here's the Task Manager after the second test:

avg90814TMaftersecondscan.gif

Conclusion:

Keep in mind that if you do not use some or all of the programs stated in the post before, perhaps your CPU will not hold steady at 100% during that initial scan. The Cache Server process did cut the second scan's time by 54 minutes and reduced estimated CPU Usage by 25%, so that's the biggest improvement with this version 9.0.814.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received notification of new AVG Free 9.0.819, via Manual Update today.

avg90819.gif

Installation Files page shows version 9.0.819, dated April 29th, 2010 (avg_free_stf_en_90_819a2842.exe), however, the Updates page still shows version 9.0.801, dated April 2nd, 2010.

AVG 9.0.819 Free - Release Notes
    Installed without any issues.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. The Updates page now shows version 9.0.819, dated April 29th, 2010.

This will be my last post as I'm no longer using AVG, therefore, as the starter of this topic, I'm closing this thread. Should you have any specific issues with your AVG program, kindly open a new thread so any AVG user can help you. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.