AVG AV Free Edition 9.0 Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progress

progress Guest

So we should call it 'upgrade' :D

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Sputnik, I agree with you that this new GUI advert is an improvement over the old intrusive method, now a gentle reminder for those who wish to move up to AVG IS.

Regarding ThreatFire, although there are no reported conflicts at the present time with AVG 9.0, the old versions had a problem with TF and I personally did not want to go there. I have my WD set at SpyNet Advanced Membership and it seems to work well in my setup, without any AVG conflicts. Yet keep in mind that I don't use the LinkScanner and its components either, so what works for me, might not work for others.

Now, if you want to try TF with AVG 9.0, you are welcome to post your findings!

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, like I told Sputnik, I think the new advert is a great improvement and not so much in your face. I like its gentleness. :)

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

To see how the newest version 9.0.704 compared to the first version 9.0.686, I decided to perform a Scan whole computer and the results are similar. First, a Task Manager check:

taskmngrb4scan.gif

Here are the scan results:

scanresults2.gif

The total time was 13 minutes less than reported in this Post, taking into account that total objects were 31,696 less than before. This is the Task Manager when the scan was completed, right after checking emails:

scanresults3.gif

Info on above Processes

avgchsvx.exe (AVG Cache Server)
    avgcsrvx.exe (AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part)
    avgcsrvx.exe (AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part) child process of avgemc.exe
    avgemc.exe (AVG Email Scanner)
    avgrsx.exe (AVG Resident Shield Service)
    avgtray.exe (AVG Tray Monitor)
    avgwdsvc.exe (AVG Watchdog Service)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I thought the new advertisement replaced the bottom banner, but they are both there. Ugh.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

clocks, that's strange, because every new version always came with the 4 files (avgfree_us.mht, avgmwdef_us.mht, avgresf.dll, avgsbfree_us.mht), except for this one, or at least what I downloaded via Normal Update. Can you confirm the file dates?

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

The dll is Sunday, Sept 20th. The others just show today's date.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

clocks, did you receive the new version via Normal Update or did you download it from AVG?

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I did not currently have it on my PC, so I did a fresh install. I went to AVG, which then routes you to cnet for the installer. After it installed, I manually clicked update to get the latest version.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

OK, I see. The files were present during the fresh install of the previous version, then the update gave them today's date.

I wonder if ance can confirm that new files were not downloaded with his updated version?

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Hi - Not sure I understand. I had no AVG files on my PC prior to tonight's install. Nothing left over from prior installs, as I also make sure old programs are completely removed. All the files have a date of Nov 9th. The dll I can actually see the signed date, which was what I mentioned about.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

clocks, assuming that you are using the Free version, the Installation Files page does not route to CNet, it downloads directly from their site.

Can you share the page link where you first found AVG?

Edit: Never mind clocks, found the page ( http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download?prd=afg ) that takes you to CNet and I see that they have AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 9.0.698, as of the time of this post.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  13. progress

progress Guest

I got AVG Free 9.0.704 via integrated updater and I can confirm that the ad files were not downloaded again :)

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, thanks for the confirmation! That's what I saw as well. Take care.

FYI to all. My Windows Defender was not disabled upon this morning's computer start.

JR

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received Program update AVG Free 9.0.707, via manual update, today.

avg90707.gif

AVG 9.0.707 Free - Release Notes
    After installation, the new update disabled Windows Defender again.

16. plainjoe

plainjoe Registered Member

I just discovered that it takes the same trick(as the bottom banner) to disable the ad in the interface.

1. Locate the 'avgui.exe' file and rename it to 'avgui.exe.new'

2. Locate the 'avgui.exe.old' file and rename it to 'avgui.exe'

3. Voila!

Note: I noticed this restored the original interface loading time(was slower after the interface ad addition). Also as usual when updating online, AVG Free will attempt to download the ad again.

;)

17. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yesterday I went to install AVG 9.0 over 8.5 via exiting 8.5 then planting
    the 9.0 version into the existing AVG\Program Files Folder - opened it to run
    and it looked as though it was unloading it's files but didn't get far before
    I got an Error notification,

Error: MSVC Redistributables installation failed -AVG cannot continue.

Went on the net and Googled that error - Several led to the AVG Forum
    but unfortunately the answers jumped about a bit and it would have taken me a week to bounce along trying each one.
    Returned to Google and got one which directed to AVG FAQ Hotfixes page re. that error,

http://www.avg.com/us-en/hot-topics.num-2654
    I could see in my CP/Add or Remove Programs list that the,
    " Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable " that was apparently causing the problem was installed, but I went to M$ and downloaded another copy,

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/...D9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

just in case mine was too old for AVG 9.0.

I also downloaded the tiny AVG zipped .Bat file (msvcfix.bat) while I was at their Hotfix page mentioned above and unzipped it into the
    AVG\Program Files Folder.
    Decided that because the C++ Redistributable file was already on my machine
    I would first try installing via the msvcfix.bat, it appeared to bypass the
    Windows Installer and used a cmd line.
    Anyway AVG 9.0 then installed
    without a hitch, picking up all my 8.5 settings as they were, only item I needed to hit the button for was, 'Optimization Scanning' which popped up
    near the finish and thanks to JRViejo's very helpful review of 9.0 I knew to
    allow OS.
    This morning I updated 9.0 OK to 9.0.707/2505 and my Emailer is working fine after hitting 20 different 'Allows' on my FW, Winsonar and OA.
    Have gone via the Cape here but if ONE strikes the problem then it might help.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MICRO, gald to hear that you sorted it all out and thanks for posting that FAQ link. Keep us posted if you encounter any issues. Take care.

JR

19. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

JRV, I wasn't looking for it at the time but can you recall if in your review
    you mentioned the CPU spikes when scanning with 9.0 ?

Two weeks ago I stopped scannning with S&D due to it's masssive, I thought at the time, CPU usage reaching 50%, but now monitoring 9.0 when scanning
    it's mostly 80 and 95%.
    Reminds me of Adobe several years ago becoming so bloated I had to get rid of it, same with Ad-Aware, had to go, and now AVG is getting to be a concern on it's scanning CPU usage.
    Are you seeing similar ?

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MICRO, I did not mention CPU spikes because the last version that did not infringe on the CPU, while scanning, was 7.5. Since then, every AVG version (8.0 and 8.5) has suffered from high CPU spikes during its full PC scans. This new 9.0 is no exception. :(

The Optimization Scan you performed during installation is supposed to cut down the scanning times, thus less CPU usage, and the latest version 9.0.707 did shave 13 minutes of my previous time so maybe AVG is working on it. As I concluded in my post #5, AVG, once again, rushed out a new version and now they are tweaking it as they go along IMO.

In all honesty, the spikes do not concern me because I only do a full computer scan whenever a new version comes out. I like to scan specific files & folders more and of course, I want AVG to be active during downloads and email scanning. I do mitigate the spikes somewhat by turning off Windows Defender and ending its process, yet the spikes are still in the high 80's.

I guess you'll have to be your own judge regarding the present CPU spikes. That's the best answer I can give you.

21. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

JRV, as usual methinks, also the brightest.
    I shall follow your path via using it's real time and right click abilities
    but hold the full scans permanently, unless a problem should arise
    where I need another checker.

Kind Regards.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received new Program AVG Free 9.0.709, via manual update, today.

avg90709.gif

AVG 9.0.709 Free - Release Notes
    After installation, the new update disabled Windows Defender once again.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Today, the Documentation page shows User Manual, version 9.0.9, dated December 2, 2009.

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received new Program AVG Free 9.0.716, via manual update, today. The Installation Files page also indicates this new version, dated December 8, 2009.

avg90716.gif

AVG 9.0.716 Free - Release Notes
    The GUI now shows an Identity Protection component, with an Activate Now link, that opens a new browser window to this Offer Page.

25. progress

progress Guest

I didn't notice any difference in the German version?! :doubt:

Attached Files:

• avg.jpg
      avg.jpg
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.