AVG AntiVirus Free 2014

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by moxxey, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I have not seen any evidence of the new "File Reputation check" or "Improved detection rate" yet in AVG 2014. Does anyone know how these two "features" work?

EDIT: File Reputation Check is basically a feature that reports on prevalence of certain files at the user's end - it requires you to opt in to the Product Improvement Program.

2. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

3. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Oh really...thats why I have many clients in a year having a badly infected machine with the new nasty ZeroAccess with AVG on there,too bad up to date best AVG is truely a real world BIG-FAT fail :doubt: with my rest clients running avast v8/comodo/Qihoo are clean in most part of the year,so far clients running them have hardly returned back once in 5 to 6 months.

On top of that,you are assuming,have you given the off late avast builts a shake?,its been long time since v7 and v6 I guess you must try v9 final before basing any conclusions because v9 is gonna change things ;)

Accept it!? Whether it is AV-C or any tests to my clients,its a fail AV and has a merge average detection and their way of preventing threats stinks.Their devs arent making things better with this version.It will be like a slap on some users and fanboys face when it again fails in AV-C real world test with extremely poor results throughout a year :rolleyes:

Defending your product wouldnt work,face the reality.But...we will see how well this version does in any case! 2 people on wilders use AVG so far what it looks from here,that is just how good the product is :)

Also check the facts first:
    AVG- 99 to 100M users.
    Avast- 178 to 180M users.

So now who is better and much reliable? There cant be so 180M noobs using a buggy product huh! ;)

Also about this:
    It was my experience and opinion with AVG no assumption,dont like it,dont read it and dont reply back with a defending attitude without checking the real facts.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  4. aztony

aztony Registered Member

We have your word about client machine infection(s), which based on your history of overtly biased comments hold no sway with me. One thing I can attest to is the fact most AVs are only as good as the user(s) sitting behind the monitor/keyboard. And we have no idea as to the literacy/acumen of your alleged clients. I stand by my comment.

Last time I checked wilders is an open forum to all members. So if you don't like criticism to questionable comments don't post!

5. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Beautiful, works like a charm. Nice tip! :thumb:

6. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

True but the same applies to you and in a open forum it is not allowed to call some replies ludicrous and disingenuous either.Criticism is not the point,it was my opinion and I guess I am fine with that because I havent assumed anything like you do.I base things on basic facts and own experience,no one has right to threaten other's opinions unless they are merge assumptions :cautious:

Litteracy of clients?! Most are dangerous users and some average ones...good test bed to test AV's IMHO

Again,pure facts and personal opinion:
    AVG isnt as good as you say in real world,in fact its worst,try other free AV's you will realize it I myself do.

Also again I repeat: Their devs arent making things better with this version.It will be like a slap on some users and fanboys face when it again fails in AV-C real world test with extremely poor results throughout a year. :rolleyes:

Also to note that,AVG that has been outperformed by other free AV's plenty of times proving much better protection.

I dont make comments or replies unless I have pure personal experience or pure facts behind them and that is all I do and still some people here think I try to bash a product or something.

It is again pointless using a AV program that holds next to nothing even in a shady test like AV-C.Even MSE is better than AVG in my experience LOL.Rather I prefer staying AVless rather than using a merge average to poor AV.

But,you are simply trying to defend AVG against my opinion which is not going to change my thinking.Stop defending,wouldnt help AVG,it will make it worse in my eyes.COMODO has already done that mistake many times :)

First,No improvements since years,second defenders all over the place like there is no other free alternative.Doesnt help much,makes it worst.

7. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I switched to AVG AV few days ago,running it with Privatefirewall and Sandboxie.I am sure it will provide me enough protection...so far it feels very light and fast on my laptop.:thumb:
    Question: anybody knows if the shredding context menu feature can be deactivated?It's very annoying and useless for me.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  8. aztony

aztony Registered Member

If you have Ccleaner, click on Tools and select Startup, the 5th tab is Context Menu where you can disable, or delete, what you don't want or need. See if that works.

9. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

Few more tips if you are not aware...
    To get clean interface without banners and unwanted tiles..
    1. Disable AVG self protection
    2. Delete awacs and banners folder under Program Files\AVG2014
    3. Enable AVG self protection

Now you got all the features of AVG antivirus premium except Online Shield.

10. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I want to know that too. :doubt:

11. fearlessscientist

Yes only one update per day

12. ance

I see, thank you.

13. Mike89

Mike89 Registered Member

Does this work for AVG Antivirus Free 2013 also?

14. fearlessscientist

Yes it does work !
    Keep in mind, when there is a 'program update' it downloads the folders again. So after a program update you have to follow the same procedure again.

15. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Some parts are blocked by Comodo Firewall so I'm going to have to install with the sandbox set to something other than Blocked. Dang even with the sandbox set to a lower setting it still doesn't work properly.

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

17. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

That key activation problem with the 2014 free version sounds totally awful.I mean what is the point.o_O

That would certainlly put off any new user or are they trying to bump them into golng for the premium version or maybe just its just a "glitch",who knows?

Anyways AVG did a good job for me back in the day and I`m sure still can.The choices available today are amazing and thats the free stuff!

Different folks different strokes.

18. ance

The performance is nice, I like it so far. :)

I haven't found a feature to deactivate it. :doubt:

19. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Yep guys,it seems that the shred feature cannot be deactivated within AVG.I know about the context menu,i already tried disable both entries (there are 2).If the first is disabled,all the AVG entries are gone including scan feature.Disabling the second one,nothing happens.

20. ance

It's no problem for me but it should be possible to disable it. :blink:

21. fearlessscientist

Try downloading the setup from filehippo or filehorse. I dint face this issue from the offline setup downloaded from those sites.

22. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

What is the setting for 'Identity Protection' in this version? If the default setting is to ask the user I think it can be set to auto block suspicious files as we can see in real world tests in av-comparatives, AVG low score is due to the fact that many detections are user dependent.

Is PUPs detections enabled by default? It is better to set all settings to max.

23. fearlessscientist

Default for Identity Protection is 'Always Prompt'.
    No enhanced PUP is not enabled by default.

24. aztony

aztony Registered Member

In Advance Settings the user can opt to quarantine detected threats, or, quarantine known threats.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You can do the same for "awacs" and "TuneUp" folder to get rid of the rest of the junk...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.