AVG / Antivir combo Anti-Virus setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

A few days ago I saw a poster claim that their AV set-up is a combination of AVG and Antivir, which sounded very interesting. If I recall correctly, AVG was installed with the resident guard disabled and only used to scan email while Antivir was used as the resident AV. There apparently were no conflicts between the two programs running at the same time since they were used for different chores.

Has anyone else used such a set-up? If so, what is the resource usage of running both programs in this fashion?

Thanks.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no acer1965,

this set-up just doesnt make sense at all to me,

why wuld you turn off avira av and just use it for ondemand as it has a better detection rate than AVG.

i would never recommend 2 avs installed, whether one is disabled or not, i just cant recommend this.

3. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I would agree with C.S.J about not installing two AV's

Lot of users would have AntiVir along with Ewido and since AVG bought Ewido it is often referred to as 'AVG' as well.

AntiVir Classic {free} Guard will catch and block malware in your Email and I would put greater trust in that than trying to run two AV Programs.

When you have doubts about the 'purity' of your System, you are better off to do an Online Scan with another AV (like KAS) or BitDefender

This means that you must use Internet Explorer and KAS found malware that Norton had missed, but no detections after my switch to AntiVir (never tried BitDefender).

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The poster mentions that avgs resident guard is disabled ...not aviras.I do agree with you though ,that theres no point or advantage in that setup,and its more a recipe for problems.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.