AVG,Antivir,Avast free av

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by modano, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modano

modano Registered Member

have you tried using thous free av as on-demand scanners whith real-time protection disebled o_O which is better from thous threeo_O and another question-how can i writte av in CD and scan my system from thereo_O

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

the best is definetly AntiVir. ;)
    Do you want to make a boot-CD or what? o_O

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Antivir best for the best protection.
    Try it. If u get some problems with updates etc as some people report or hate the nag pop up it gives or u are concious more about easiness rather than security, use Avast( install and forget).
    U need to try both to see infact.
    AVG i will not recommend.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

avast! Home Edition.

The AntiVir PEC have less features, a lot of false-positives and doesn't protect you against Adware/Spyware.

5. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Since you are going to disable real-time protection, I would choose Antivir.

Another option, since all you want is an on-demand scanner, would be the BitDefender free version (one negative is that it runs several services totaling up to ~35Mb -- of course you can set these to manual and only start them when you need it, but it is kind of a pain to do so).

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

The poster is talking about on-demand ;) so it has better features (heuristics cough cough)

Adware/spyware is for those scanners

And I have never had a false positive, have you :p

avast! is still a pretty good scanner though...

Alphalutra1

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id go for antivir because its light and effective but avast is another good av. it has a http scanner and it updates quickly and at shorter intervals.

8. TAP

TAP Registered Member

AVG Free is a good one, it's reliable with less false positive and also quick to adding non-urgent/ITW malware (e.g. trojans) to its database, you can use it as an on-demand scanner by install only its control center (like ClamWin) or only e-mail scanner module, AVG Free can also scan SSL e-mail (encrypted e-mail traffic) with a bit extra configurations.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I use Nero Start Smart which includes burning CD
    I choose to burn a bootable CD , then it asks me what I want to add , I add NOD32 for DOS (and sometimes McAfee's command line scanner) and then it burns it .
    Then it is ready and I can boot from it and scan from there in extremely difficult situations . AFAIR (r=remember) it works on both fat32 and nfts :D

10. waters

waters Registered Member

Never had a false positive with antivir since beta.Antivir is up with the best paid so for best protection go with antivir.If you are on broadband ,update issues are in the past.Updates are frequent,even over weekends.Heuristics are now close to nods,and for such an improvement could soon be better.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, I jsut noted now u are asking for on-demand scanner. It means u are going to use two AV that is really not pleasant at least for me. In that case a good online scanner should be the real option.

12. modano

modano Registered Member

pleas,tell me how can i burn AV in CD.i have burned games and movies but i dont know how to burn a AV.I think i will go for antivir as on-demand.it has good interface and the detection rates ar better than AVG and avast!:)

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

If you want to use ondemand AV just to make sure, that files are clean, then MWAV is a great choise, it just unpack when you launch it, but it only detects malware, it does not delete it. [​IMG]

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You right, is about on-demand, but since a user never should choose an AV only about their on-demand... ;)
    You are wrong :p
    The AV's can detect a lot of files that contain Adware/Spyware, but you can say that the AntiSpyware are more specilized and also scan the registry...
    Yes, I already had a few, but like I said, it lacks a lot of features that I like...
    Far from being perfect, but its very good for a free AV... :p

15. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

try Bart´s PE BootCD: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

About the topic, they are all good since they are all free, but as on-demand, I would had picked Antivir or BitDefender.

Regards, C.

16. modano

modano Registered Member

what do you think about f-prot or no32 as on-demand to my mcafee virusscan 10 profesional o_O??btw antivir is great!!!it detected a virus which my other security apps mist!!!!!it was a p2p worm and thats why my pc was freezing.now its back too normal :D sorry for any grammar mistakes i am only 16 :oops:

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi modano, can u upload this worm to Jotti and virus total, just to see whether it,s real or a false positive.

18. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Might I add, for future reference, Bitdefender offers v8 for an ondemand only. It has a few services which you may want to disable or set to manual when you're not using it, but I have found their free ondemand-only version to be quite useful at times.

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Your request for views of secondary AV scanners now seems to have changed!

If you have a good primary scanner which suits you and your system, instead of thinking about another AV to install, which could cause conflicts, why not consider an on-line AV scanner or Dr Web's CureIT?

20. modano

modano Registered Member

21. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Then why consider further on-demand scanners?

Your present setup seems fine, but whether you need all of those secondary scanners!.

22. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

modano

No one is saying you can't have all those programs, what Blackcat is saying is they're not necessary.Way to much overlap.Doesn't outpost have spyware protection?.

23. modano

modano Registered Member

yes,but it catches nothing but ewido and xoftspy does :D

24. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Xoftspy ... what software let you install it . XoftSpy is known to be nothing but malware itself.

This is nasty application, it does nothing more than dropping more malware to your computer (spyware dropper). Remove it as soon as possible and then perform full scan with your AV and the free Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot S&D

http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    http://www.safer-networking.org/microsoft.en.html

25. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes older versions of xoftspy were malicious but the new xoftspy se is supposedly clean and legit. i wouldnt use it in either case tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.