AVG Antispyware-Free Edition-Need to constantly start it via services.msc

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by eliuri, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eliuri

eliuri Registered Member

Hello:

I use AVG Antispyware 7.5.1.43 Free

The Resident Shield is unavailable in the Free Edition . And the user interface tells me so as well. I use the AVGAS only to scan on demand.

Yet after running the AVGAS, and then closing the program, the guard.exe program continues running as shown via the taskmanager. I find this somehwat puzzling , since the Resident Shield isn't functional in the free version.I can only disable that by disabling the AVGAS via services.msc I'm then forced to reenable the AVGAS service yet again via services.msc if I wish to scan on demand.

I don't have to do this with AdAware 2007, which also doesn't have the guard in its free version.

Is there a simpler way of simply closing the program, and have it run only when I open the interface?

Thanks in advance:

-eliuri

====================

Windows XP Professional Edition

AVG AntiSpy 7.5.1.43 free

Zone Alarm Security Suite 6.1.744.001

2. support.grisoft

support.grisoft Grisoft Team

The service guard.exe should be started when you want to start a scan and there is no option how to start it just for a scan. The service is set to be started automatically so in case you disable it manually you have to enable it manually too.

Karel Stavik

3. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

But shouldn't guard.exe be closed (leave Task Management) when you close down the program altogether?

4. support.grisoft

The service guard.exe is a main part of AVG Anti-spyware program. When this service is disabled AVG AS is not able to start at all. The service is running still when the AVG AS is installed by design and it is correct behaviour.

Thank you for your understanding.

Karel Stavik

5. eliuri

eliuri Registered Member

=============================================

Thank you , Karel:

Would leaving the AVG guard.exe running in any way interfere with Zone Alarm Security Suite [6.1.744.001] which is also running in the background?

The Zone Alarm Security Suite functions both as an AV and a Firewall.

Thanks again:

-Eliuri

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  6. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

7. eliuri

eliuri Registered Member

Thanks Firebytes.

I don't know what a "batch file" really is. Though I guess I could follow the directions and prevent the guard.exe from constantly running in the background that way. If I run into problems with it , I assume I can post back here and ask.

OTOH: The guard.exe really takes up relatively little resources: ~1,400K in the Taskmanager.

My major concern is possible interference with other software also running. Specifically, the Zone Alarm Security Suite which is a Firewall and AntiVirus combination.

If this --or other unforeseen issues--are not a real concern, and I'd still like confirmation of this, I don't mind the guard.exe running in the background.

Though I remain a tad baffled as to why it needs to be....

Thanks again:

-Eliuri

8. Firebytes

eliuri,

A batch file is basically just a text file with a .bat file extension. It will automate running a series of commands for you. The batch file in the threads I mentioned for AVGAS starts the AVG Anti-Spyware Guard service, then runs the AVGAS program, waits until AVGAS is manually closed and then stops the AVG Anti-Spyware Guard service.

Here is the batch file:

net start "AVG Anti-Spyware guard"
    start /wait avgas.exe
    net stop "AVG Anti-Spyware guard"

Here is how I used it: (Windows XP)

First you need to change the AVG Anti-Spyware Guard service from automatic startup to manual startup and then stop the service. Go to "Start", "Run", type "services.msc", click "OK". Find the AVG Anti-Spyware Guard service, right click it, select "Properties", on the "General" tab change "Startup type" to "Manual" and then just below that click "Stop".

Copy the text above that makes up the batch file, open Notepad and paste the text into it. Then click "Save as", name the file (I named it AVGAS), change the file extension from .txt to .bat and save the new batch file you just created to the same folder where the exectuable for AVG Antispyware resides on your computer. Mine was in "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5"

Right click your desktop, select "New", then "Shortcut", use the wizard that opens to browse to the AVGAS batch file you created. Name the new shortcut, I just named it "AVG Anti-Spyware" since it is what I always use to start the program. Now right click the new shortcut you created and select "Properties". On the "Shortcut" tab change "Run:" from "Normal Window" to "Minimized" and click "OK".

Now anytime you click that shortcut it will start up the AVG Anti-Spyware Guard service and then start the AVG Antispyware program. When you have finished using the AVGAS program close it normally and the batch file will then stop the AVG Anti-Spyware Guard service. The service will only run now when the AVGAS program itself is being used by you.

The only side effect you will notice from this is that when you use the shortcut you will have two indications of "AVG Anti-Spyware" running in the taskbar. One is the batch file and one is AVGAS itself. When you close AVGAS as you normally would they will both end.

Hope this helps. :)

9. eliuri

eliuri Registered Member

Thanks for the clear directions, Firebytes.

I'm running it using that batch file, and it does exactly what you said it would do.

AVGAS Service shuts down when I close AVGAS, and the guard.exe ceases to run.

So it works like a charm!!!
    :D

Will this batch file continue working if there should be a program upgrade to AVG AntiSpyware?

Or would that require some redoing of this procedure on my part?

:doubt:

-eliuri

10. Firebytes

You're welcome eliuri, glad I could help.

I would think that as long as the upgrade doesn't change the name of the service or the program it should continue to work. Should the names change you would need to modify the batch file to correspond with the new names.

11. Firebytes

OK, eliuri, I thought of one other thing that could happen that would cause you to have to make a few adjustments.

As I said I put the batch file in "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5" so if the upgrade changes the program version from 7.5 to oh, lets say 8.0 then most likely that folder would no longer exist and would be renamed "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 8.0" for example. In that case you would need to have a backup of the batch file stored somewhere (or copy from this thread again) to place back in that new folder (in case it was wiped away in the upgrade). Also, you would need to modify the target of the shortcut you created earlier so that it points to the new location of the batch file.

Other than that I think you should be golden.

12. eliuri

eliuri Registered Member

Thanks again, Firebytes:

I just created another identically worded batch file. I labeled it a bit differently, but with the .bat extension, and I stored it where I think I'd remember to look in case such an upgrade does happen.

I like this setup much better than before.

Thanks again:

-Eliuri

13. support.grisoft

We did not test it, but when Resident Shield is disabled (in Free version) there could not be any conflict. But in case of any problems you can create a new thread.

Thank you.

Karel Stavik

14. Firebytes

If you do ever wind up needing to change that backup batch file you made you can just right click it and select "edit". Then you can change the text it contains.

Oh, in case you didn't already think to do it...you can change the icon for the shortcut you made to be the AVGAS icon. Right click the shortcut, select "Properties", select "Change icon", browse to the AVGAS executable, select the icon you want to use.

Sorry if you already know most of this...wasn't sure of your experience level.

Happy computing! :D

15. hyatt69

hyatt69 Registered Member

how do i change the file type from .txt to .bat?

16. Firebytes

If you have unchecked "Hide extensions of known file types" in My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View then you will see the extension .txt in the File Name box of your Notepad file when you go to save it. Just change the file name to AVGAS.bat instead of AVGAS.txt and it will save it as a batch file. If you are still hiding extensions of known file types then you will not see the .txt extension in the File Name box but you can still just save it with the file name AVGAS.bat and it will save as a batch file even though it still says "Text Documents (*.txt)" in the Save as Type box.

Attached Files:

17. Firebytes

Be sure to save the .bat file to the same folder where your AVGAS executable is located. In my screenshot is shows saving to the desktop. I just did that screenshot as an example and neglected to change the location where you would need to save the file.

18. hyatt69

hyatt69 Registered Member

ok thanks i had that option checked to hide them

19. Stijnson

Is it correct that the suggested .bat-file only works when the resident shield and automatic updates are turned OFF?

I'm currently running the trial version and this has all options available. I tried the batch file but guard.exe wouldn't close.

When I unchecked 'automatic updates' and 'resident shield' in the GUI the batch file worked fine.

Can someone confirm this?

EDIT: Is it also correct that guard.exe with resident shield turned ON consumes about 15Megs of RAM and with the shield turned OFF only 1,400K?

20. Firebytes

The batch file is for users who only run AVGAS as an on demand scanner and do not wish to have the background service running when AVGAS is not being used. If you are running AVGAS with the real-time protection or auto updates enabled then the background service must be allowed to run.

21. Stijnson

I thought as much -:). Thanks for your reply Firebytes.
    The batch file is really handy, so I'll start using it once the trial period expires.

22. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Automation throu batchs/scripts/macros is really good :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.