AVG Anti-Virus & Internet Security 2011 11.20 Build 3152

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

But, is it detection to detect new malicious patterns, or to detect known malware?

2. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Was planning to use this but I guess I can't. Had to reformat my PC and I already registered back when the giveaway occurred. Now it just is a 30 day trial, since I have my serial code from Chris's store..not sure what to do. Use AVG Free I guess?

3. gery

gery Registered Member

no just contact their costumer support and they will replace your code instantly. i send them mine and they recovered it very soon

4. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

There is no mechanism in the stand-alone Identity Protection v9 to manually update. The "module: idat" is a .bin file usable only by the "Update from folder..." tool found in the GUIs of the anti-virus products.

The "Check for Updates" function in IDP v9 is online. Currently at idat 257, it fails to recognize 258 available on the updates site.

5. lws

lws Registered Member

Just tried to install Linkscanner and I have avast installed. And yes, instructions told me to uninstall avast before proceeding to install Linkscanner....no chance in hell am I going to uninstall avast....will be curious to hear what their response is going to be from AVG.

6. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

AVG:
    And we have also developed Protective Cloud Technology that use cloud technologies to analyse millions of suspicious files a day. In fact we use three back end systems to process 1.5 billion potential threats per day.

Ehhhh ok?:-*

7. m0unds

m0unds Guest

this is likely to reduce the incidence of support issues stemming from the use of multiple products. i'd say most regular users wouldn't know how to configure two different products to work together let alone even realizing they *had* multiple products installed. by having their installer warn a user that another product is detected, then they can reduce support calls by not having to deal with as many of those sorts of situations directly. it's not about stifling a user's choice.

8. Turbofylla

Turbofylla Registered Member

I notice a post called " How we recommend installing AVG " at the avg forum.

-http://www.avgforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145-

Notice the recommended installation mode for "powerusers". Hmmm. I wonder if AVG officially agree in the recommended installation from the forum.

9. m00nbl00d

The thing is: This is nothing but an aggressive marketing model. The same happened before with Microsoft Security Essentials with one of the latest LinkScanner 9 versions. I guess people started complaining, because in the next version, no longer.

And, I have Linkscanner along side avast! 5 in a family member system, running just fine for quite some time now. And, I won't update to new the new version of Linkscanner until they explain me what "conflicts" are these. I even asked them (AVG) if these would be the same conflicts there used to exist with Microsoft Security Essentials, that after a while magically disappeared.
    They may fool people like my family members, but they won't fool me, for sure.

And, were the conflicts real, one thing would be to alert the user for that fact, one other to TELL them to uninstall their current antimalware solutions. This smells funny, doesn't it? I don't know why, but it seems they want to force people to user their full security solutions.

10. m00nbl00d

That person should be working for NSA. :)

11. m00nbl00d

Interesting... here (http://free.avg.com/us-en/faq.pnuid-1285273390) it says
    the following:

That's quite odd. This system I'm using now, belonging to one of my family members has both MSE and Linkscanner, and guess what? I installed Linkscanner with MSE already installed!!

Come on, let's get real!

Edit: The version of Linkscanner running in this system is the newest 2011, I should add.

Edit 2: According to this (http://free.avg.com/us-en/faq.pnuid-1285271697), both Linkscanner v9 and 2011 Technical FAQ are the same.

I should remember that in one other systems there's avast! 5 running along side Linkscanner 9 just fine for quite some time. And, before in Virtual Machines I have. Also, just fine. No crashes of any kind. No conflicts, at all.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

How do you remove or hide the pc analyser component in AVG ?
    ellison

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

LOL Is it really that big of a deal?

14. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

It's not a big deal...I tested it out this morning and it's just annoying... popping up every now and then... that's it.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just complete one scan and then close it. It will stop nagging after you do this. At least for a while.

16. gazs1

gazs1 Registered Member

well installed anti virus pro 2011 om my xp pro with only defensewall and sandboxie also running everything ran fine till i reebooted, windows wouldnt boot so went to last good comfig and xp booted but nothing on avg would turn on so i guess theres a conflict with defensewall somewhere so i loaded my image back up with mse running and all is sorted.

17. m00nbl00d

When you installed AVG have you chosen the Custom Installation? If yes, then, if it happens as always did, you'd be given an option to choose which components you wanted to install.

You run the installer again and choose, if I'm not mistaken, Add/Remove components.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I thought about that, but no, there is no option for PC Analyzer.
    You can remove e-mail scanner plugins, you can remove LinkScanner components and IDP, but you can't remove PC Analyzer component. Or prevent it from installing in the first place. You just can't.

19. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Yes,and this sucks IMO.I don't need these utilities in an AV.

20. m00nbl00d

Since you're testing/using AVG Pro / IS, could you tell me whether or not PC Analyzer it will only scan but not clean? I remember from AVG beta thread here that that was the case.

So, it does make sense not to make it possible not to install it or remove it, considering it will advise users to buy some other crap.

Again, this is something I recall from the beta thread. Not sure if it is the actual case.

21. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Yeap, it's embedded somehow to Resident Shield i guess... it gave me more pop-ups when moving files to vault...

22. sportsfan7700

Installed and running well. :)

23. sportsfan7700

Ran a scan, but it was a command line one. That is fine but the result went by so fast I can't tell if anything was detected. I'm now running a rootkit scan in normal mode. Anyone else have advice?

24. m0unds

m0unds Guest

did you invoke the command line scan via cmd.exe or did you use the windows run dialog or double clicking the exe to start the scan?

25. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well has anyone seen their pc tuneup utility...........its a collection of free&paid auslogics tools bundled together

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.