AVG Anti-Virus & Internet Security 2011 11.20 Build 3152

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, I agree, along side with Linkscanner, IDP was/is their best security application.

Maybe they will place it, as stand-alone, in their free products page, in days to come. I guess the same will happen with a new Linkscanner version reflecting the improvements that were introduced.

Still, if no free stand-alone IDP, you may still install AVG Free and only leave IDP active. Not an elegant solution, I know... But, one that works.

2. m00nbl00d

There's a better solution than paying to get it out. You just need to change one registry entry at HKLM that stores the language the program is set with.

But, it only works if when you install it, you don't install any more languages than the one you want it to have.

Then just change the code (number) that reflects your language to the number reflecting English or anyother. It still will be in your language, but since you have changed at registry to a different one, which no file exists in the installation path, the nagscreen/popup will disappear. I did it for Linkscanner.

Right now I don't have the numbers for each language, but I'll see if I still can find them somewhere.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There is clearly a GUI bug with the buttons. Under Vista, it's using native buttons so everything works fine. Under WinXP, the interface is trying to use its own skin and that's all borked up when you hover over window buttons...

EDIT:
    @JRViejo
    I'm asking because AVG likes to separate tech support for free and payable...

5. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

unable to uninstall it. Windows 7 x86.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

RejZor, you are correct. I offered the Paid version links because this thread's topic and discussion seem to revolve around the Paid version, for the most part.

Help for the Free version is mainly via their AVG Free Forum, unless one wants to use their Premium Services.

7. guest

guest Guest

There is anyway to get an old link of IDP standalone?
    It was free? must be uploaded in some place.

8. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

You can still buy and download IDP from the promo we created:

https://avguk.cleverbridge.com/421/purl-catalog

Chris.

9. m00nbl00d

Pay? Nonsense. Why pay for something that now is provided for free? Either wait to see if AVG places a stand-alone free version at their free products page, or download AVG AV Free and only leave IDP active.

Why pay? Makes no sense, at all.

10. guest

guest Guest

But if AVG is not offering this app as standalone how are you selling this app?
    I guess that this does not include updates, no? since avg is not developing this product as a standalone.

I'm downloading the app "avg_idp_stf_all_90_691.exe" use google

11. guest

guest Guest

12. m00nbl00d

Norton Antibot was a licensed product based on SANA Security behavior blocker, which I don't recall the name right now, which was a Californian security company, which was then bought by AVG, and that's why Norton Antibot ceased to exist.

13. guest

guest Guest

The name is Primary Response SafeConnect or PRSC.

So my question is, IDP will be also developed as and standalone app, or will be updated only together with AVG AV?

14. m00nbl00d

That beats me. And, I'm guessing that's why I never got an answer from AVG, when like 3 months ago I sent them an e-mail asking the future of IDP.

But, to be honest, I believe it is a bad business model not to do it so. Follow the example of Linkscanner, which AVG prodives as a stand-alone application as well. They provide it free, but they also get something in exchange, because Linkscanner will report what it blocks to them, if users don't untick the option to send reports to them.

The same could be done for IDP. It will help them increase their signatures database.

15. guest

guest Guest

Yes, you are right, if you have contact with any Admin or important person of AVG you should propose this, as you said simply adding an option to upload automatically the unknow process they will add another source of getting malware.

After Norton killed ThreatFire (I think they will release another version but will be the last one), only Mamutu (paid) remains as a standalone behaviour blocker.

16. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

No, it won't. IDP is gone as a product since the 2011 range was launched.

We've still got some in stock using the previous codes, at the link above, for that mega-discounted price. You'd get a IDP 9 code and download link, whist stocks last.

The alternative is to upgrade to Free 2011, which now includes IDP. If you want IDP, why don't you just move up to 2011?

Chris.

17. guest

guest Guest

I dont like to use a full product and change my current setup only because I like a little part.

18. m00nbl00d

Actually, IDP already has an option to automatically send reports, which is ON by default.

That's why I don't understand why not keeping it as a stand-alone application. From the perspective of a business model is just plain stupid for the reason I mentioned before.

Not everyone will be ditching their current antimalware applications and install AVG AV Free for the sake of their IDP.
    So, IDP in people's systems is way better than none at all. It will help AVG increase their detections.

I truly don't get it. It's beyond my understanding why they did. I also hope that AVG Linkscanner stand-alone gets upgraded as well to reflect the improvements that were introduced in AVG 2011 line.

19. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

They already did so for the free edition of Linkscanner:
    http://free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-smf

20. m00nbl00d

Thank you for pointing that out. I have checked this noon and still had nothing.

:)

21. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I wouldn't say heavier,but is a little sluggish.Not the same with the 9 version which performed better for me.

22. m00nbl00d

This no longer seems to work. I guess the only solution would be to get the language file from the paid versions.

And, AVG seems to keep their quest on advising to uninstall other security solutions. Sometime ago, it was Microsoft Security Essentials, but then took it back. Now, it's avast!. Funny thing is that Linkscanner 9 installs fine with avast!.

23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

no problem, and yes smart thinking ;)

24. m00nbl00d

If any of you folks visit AVG beta forum, could you suggest the following, if they still live their :D :

AVG 2011 is damn ugly, and I believe no one disagrees. Now, there's an UI that I do like from AVG. And, that's the installer UI. Could anyone suggest them to rebuild AVG UI following that line?

I could do it, but I don't remember which what e-mail I created my account, or is the password that isn't exactly like I though it was. :D I might remember eventually, though. ;)

25. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Why would a person buy a security app, especially a behavior monitor such as IDP, that is no longer developed? Seriously, though, I purchased three of these products at the discounted rated already. Had I known that the product was going to be abandoned I would NEVER have purchased them. If the stand alone product is going to be further developed then I could see where it would be a useful tool. If the product has been abandoned then your "store" should state that somewhere. Otherwise the "sale" is deceitful and your coming on here to pimp out the last few abandoned items in stock is pretty distasteful. If the product is going to be further developed as a stand alone then I apologize ahead of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.