AVG Anti-Virus & Internet Security 2011 11.20 Build 3152

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am running Win 7 x64. No real problems here, with the exception of that Outlook plugin issue. Otherwise it seems very clean. It did slow down my startup time also, but that's not a bug. I didn't use the Linkscanner enough to encounter the reported problems, so I can't say on that one. Overall, not bad at all.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The LinkScanner extension for Firefox is a resource hog. With it enabled firefox.exe used 50% cpu (dual-core).

3. icr

icr Registered Member

AVG still lacks a proper self defense module. I tried to install this rogue on my computer when AVG IS was running and even though it installed without detection what I found bad was after rebooting it stopped AVG from running and whenever I tried running AVG from tray it always killed the process. I thought any AVs might have a self defense module as this constitutes one of the basic part of a security software:isay:

Note : I was not able to post the screens but many of you might be well aware about the security tool rouge

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  4. progress

progress Guest

Win XP or Win Vista? :doubt:

5. ELWIS1

ELWIS1 Registered Member

Windows Xp, No problems.

AVG IDP good security before new malware, 0-day. Linkscanner over time to better detect dangerous sites and best detect exploits. In Polish fast support.

In my opinion currently best antivirus in version free. :thumb:

6. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

AVG Anti-Virus 2011 10.0.1144 Build 3191

--http://download.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg_avct_x86_all_2011_1144a3191.exe-- (x86)
    --http://download.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg_avct_x64_all_2011_1144a3191.exe-- (x64)

AVG Internet Security 2011 10.0.1144 Build 3191

--http://download.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg_ipw_x86_all_2011_1144a3191.exe-- (x86)
    --http://download.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg_ipw_x64_all_2011_1144a3191.exe-- (x64)

7. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

Any changelog?

8. notsupplied_31

notsupplied_31 Registered Member

When I ran a command line scan of a single directory it displayed a summary report at the end and of course you can open the log file. One of the command line options is to produce a listing of all files scanned with no infection (`/REPOK'). The command line is the only option for scanning in Safe Mode on Windows XP. The rootkit scan cannot be run in Safe Mode at all unfortunately.

9. Ro4dRuNn3r

Ro4dRuNn3r Guest

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I was told by AVG that LinkScanner will allow to continue with installation in systems that already have avast! 5 installed. I assume they have rechecked any conflicts between both.

The same hasn't been confirmed for Microsoft Security Essentials, yet.

Just wanting to give the heads up, as I previously mentioned that there was conflicts according to AVG.

I contacted with them explaining I couldn't reproduce any problems, and LinkScanner will now allow you to proceed with installation.

Regards

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Could anyone running the free version of AVG av tell me their version of Identity Protection?

thanks

12. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Good question; wondering the same thing myself. I've scoured the panels and settings and menus and can find versions for everything else but IDP. I wonder if it's a limitation of the Free UI.

Can some one running paid AV or Internet Security report if either has a display the IDP version?

According to AVG's update page, the latest is 258 which dates back to day one of the new 2011 releases. If it ever goes to 259 and up, how would we know?

I haven't yet posted up an inquiry at AVG's free forum for fear of evoking another one of Big Al's "this is a free forum and..." diatribes. :D

I'd settle for reading a file in an ascii editor or checking a registry entry.

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You may find that information in Registry. I believe HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE AVG

There's a part of IDP and the version is there. It's version 10, I believe. I'm not with virtual machine running, so I cannot tell for sure.

14. robinb

robinb Registered Member

here is an interesting problem with the free version of AVG. I installed it on xp pro sp3 one of my test machines that had avg 9.0 free.
    When i tried to do the windows updates on that machine going to the windows update site non of the security updates would install. They all downloaded but not install.
    I disabled the toolbar in AVG 2011 and now the updates install. This is not good and needs to be fixed. With AVG 9.0 and the Toolbar already installed this did not happen.

robin

15. gery

gery Registered Member

last night i did manually update AVG IS and after the update finished it did not install properly and all the components stopped working. I did a manual restart and they were working again. Today everything seems fine but i wonder what the hack that waso_O o_O o_O o_O

16. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Thanks. Didn't find anything definitive in the Registry.

But I did poke around in the All Users AVG folder and found a 182k file AVGIDSAgent.log currently at 2683 lines with a multitude of entries beginning with my install date, Oct 01, some tagged with references to Sana Security. So it's definitely related to Identity Protection.

All the entries report a version 10.0.0.337 which doesn't jive with the update page's 258 for the Idat module. But I'm going to keep an eye on it and if I see Idat going to 259 I'll check if that bumps to 10.0.0.338.

However, what disturbs me at the moment are the latest three entries, Oct 17, 18 and 19 which all read as:
    Tue Oct 19 13:09:00.500 2010 [33] 10.0.0.337 R
    PID:1748,TID:520,WARNING:Error in readMessagesDoc of Updater: Parse exception at 1,0
    A document must contain exactly one root element.

Sigh. o_O

17. robinb

robinb Registered Member

that is because this program is very unstable, you should see the posts in their free forum. On the computer that would not do the ms security updates, the whole computer was as slow as can be. I just gave up and uninstalled it using the AVG uninstall tool and Walla! the computer started to hum again. What a difference.
    This is the second computer running xp pro sp3 i put it on and both of them experienced the same thing- go figure
    I am not putting this on again until AVG fixes all the bugs.
    robin

18. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

In the interest of fairness and balance, I have AVG 2011 Free running on two XP Pro SP3 boxes with no issues whatsoever as well as a friend's system I installed on Oct 2. Upgrades. Patch Tuesday. Surfing the Web. All OK. (Well maybe still perplexed a bit on understanding IDP's integration and logging.)

As for the AVG forum, that's no indicator. Everyone's forums are wall-to-wall with users and their issues. Panda Cloud. Avast. Prevx...

AVG :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

19. progress

progress Guest

Same problem, same operating system :doubt: There must be something wrong ...

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Interesting that mine uninstalled fine on Win 7 x64.....

21. robinb

robinb Registered Member

have you tried the tool to get it off?

you can get it at
    http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

this was the best way for me to remove it

and
    I put it on a xp pro system that i had to reformat and reinstall the OS. Patched it with all ms security updates first. Now this is a Pentium 4. It was having some problems with the HD so i I put a new 80gig hd in it and reinstalled XP Pro that was originally on it. Got all the drivers and everything it needed to re update. Was working like a warm puppy- very sweet.
    Now i go and put AVG free 2011 on it and everything went wrong
    Rebooted computer and got a blue screen which turned out to be AVG.exe
    This computer had NO programs on it except for ie 8, just the updated drivers and ms security updates. Got it into Windows finally, the computer crawled. I then used the tool above to remove AVG 2011 and it removed it thank goodness otherwise I would have had to do a system restore and i did not want to do this because i just did all the updates.
    It removed it fine and i went in and took out any folders it left in Program Files
    Rebooted the computer
    Back to being a warm puppy.
    I then went to AVAST free and put that on and it is still like a warm puppy.
    I do not like AVG anymore (at least 2011) on XP. This is the 2nd computer this happened to and I now have 4 clients running xp home/pro who put it on themselves screaming at me that their computer is slow as a turtle. 2 of them had AVG 9.0 Antivirus Pro with 7mths left on the license and told me he wanted it OFF- period! even though he is loosing money.
    What a nightmare!!!
    AVG was always my prime antivirus program. Heck I am a reseller for it, but not anymore. Unless things change in the next few months I will stick with AVAST for all my clients on XP
    robin

22. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I got a free one year key for avg from a promo offer.. But if I remember correctly among detection, removal, yada yada its uninstalling was smooth. :D

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

okay welllllll i have been getting bsod's on the system i was testing avg on. keep in mind i already uninstalled avg on this system. windows said no av was running and whenever going to many websites bam instant bsod.. reboot try again bsod...

i go today and reinstall opera and i try to go to a web page but i get a message saying this site may contain malware and had the avg logo under the box.

avg linkscanner WAS STILL RUNNING even after doing a uninstall!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so i went and got the removal tool and used that and NO MORE BSOD ON THE SAME WEB PAGES i had them before. so something is for sure messed up with the avg program unistall process this was on win7 32bit what a mess. im doing a full format and reinstall (restore) tonight just to be 100% sure its gone.. im done with avg till they can fix all these issues

24. icr

icr Registered Member

There is a new build for AVG 2011
    Build 3320

Attached Files:

25. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

3320 is the virus database metric. The build (version) is 1188. And...
    From the AVG forum: EDIT BIG AL 43.. Please note that due to some possible issues with its installation version 1188 has been temporarily withdrawn & new version 1189 should be released on Monday 20/12/2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.