AVG Anti-Virus & Internet Security 2011 11.20 Build 3152

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Seems like a huge exaggeration. I don't want/need it, but it really does not bother me. I don't see what the big deal is.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep it is abandonned, but now we have IDS for free with all kind of possibilities people used to say don't do (like IDS + Linkscanner of AVG and Fileshield of Avast :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

wow i just checked how many procc's avg is running and its ram usage... :eek:

hoy crap that is kind of crazy.. avast has only a few procc's and uses WAY less ram... is this normal for avg??

Attached Files:

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Normal, however it looks like you just installed AVG or you are currently running a sca., since it's resource usage is really high. It should go down after a few minutes, and it should seriously reduce after performing a first full scan.

5. zfactor

crazy amount of procc's though.. almost as many as f-secure lol

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

actually, after counting the amount of proc's there, im pretty sure its even more than fsecure lol

7. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Grabbed one year key for IS , can someone tell me if PC Analayzer is included in registered IS ?
    Or is it there just for advertising, to buy it seperately ?

8. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

The issue is the fact that you cant turn it off because even if you check that you dont want it reported they programmed it to be a different color which is annoying. You can select what you want it to delete, its all or nothing which is very dangerous. And its not needed. Why do you need a registry cleaner with an antivirus/firewall suite? Its bloated to say the least.

Its there for advertising and you cant choose to not install it.

9. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Yes, it's normal for AVG Internet Security.

Can you post up a screen shot of avast Internet Security (Not avast Free. Not avast Pro.) so we can see what "only a few procc's" and "WAY less ram" really is?

Otherwise, your post is "hoy crap." :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

avast uses 2 processes (free version at least) avastui.exe and avastsvc.exe

11. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

And the full blown Internet Security suite uses only one. avastallofitinjustthis1svc.exe and only 3 bytes of RAM. :D

12. zfactor

sure here is a shot from the SAME system as the above was taken from i did a restore and installed avast this was DURING A SCAN as well. normally the ram usage is even less than this...i can take another after the scan finishes, also this is avast INTERNET SECURITY total of 3 procc's and normally between 8-15mb ram roughly running a scan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  13. tolis14

tolis14 Registered Member

Seriously now, does anybody really have a problem with 50-60 Mb of memory these days?

I think other things, like time it takes for programs to open, general slow down of the pc etc. are more important than RAM usage....but then again, that's me..

14. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Is that the case with latest AVG ?

15. tolis14

tolis14 Registered Member

No, I don't think so...
    I've been using AVG for some days now and I haven't notice any system slowdowns (except of course the problem with linkscanner)....
    I think it's a light and fast suite....But I'm also interested to hear what other users think about this..

16. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Feeling exactly the same about it, that is why I did a full install (including Email scanner and Microsoft Office Plugin), but without the Safe-Search component (but with Safe-Surf). I am using the free version.
    Also the full scan is extremely fast due to the caching (even without caching it scans my disk faster than most of the competitors).
    In really like this free version. It offers a really good comprehensive free product. Only reasons to upgrade to a paid version: removal of ads, more scheduled updates.

17. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Thanks for taking the time to post up that data. :thumb:

Well, I got to admit it's impressive. But it probably explains why avast has since become weak in first day and rogue detection.

And I recall another reason I don't like it... 127.0.0.1. The orange vomit splat and puke green GUI is another. Eew. :gack: (As you know, appearance is a critical bullet point in protection analysis here at Wilders.) Oh yeah, and no cloud component.

Of course if one has an entry level Celeron 900 laptop or a $489 desktop/monitor/printer department store special, overhead is a prime issue. But I became less concerned two years back on an E8600 system and with this i7 box I could care less.

Otherwise, on a decent system AVG 2011 Free's feature set is tough to beat.

18. icr

icr Registered Member

Though its running a ton of processes but it never felt like I am installing a big suite coz its really light;)

19. zfactor

it for sure does not feel nearly as heavy as some others i just dont like all the procc's some av's use avg is not the only one like this. and i *may* still use this since i do actually overall like it. panda is also like this with all the procc's and it def imo feels heavier to me on my system than avg feels

20. zip

zip Registered Member

I'm running the free Edition of AVG 2011 (64bit) on my Windows 7 (64bit).

I installed Adobe Square beta (64bit) while avast! 5 was on this computer.

It worked great! Watched movies & tv on hulu without any problem on IE 64.

Now with AVG 2011 I can no longer watch anything on hulu with IE 64.

I can watch hulu with Opera & IE 32.

Is AVG blocking Adobe Square Flash Player o_O

I used Adobe's uninstaller for Square & then reinstalled Square,

it still didn't work.:'(

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  21. gery

gery Registered Member

i tried both IS and the standalone AV and both gave terrible problems navigating the net. I ditched it for Avast and wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooowwwwww it is far better now.
    I am not saying i ditched for good but i will wait till the problem with link scanner is solved. I know i could have just deactivate the link scanner and use the other parts of the software but i really hate having a software and using only some parts of it. Whats the point of using AVG without a very important part of it?:thumbd: :thumbd:

22. icr

icr Registered Member

No problems here from my side(using Win7 32bit ultimate) guess something might be conflicting with your setup:doubt:

23. progress

progress Guest

No problems with AVG IS and Win7 32 :)

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Tried AVG IS again for a few days and overall it seems nice enough. I did have one incident with it causing Outlook to choke, something related to the mail scanner/plugin for Outlook. But it only happened once. I chalked it up to a glitch or perhaps a bug in the plugin. No further issues though. Overall, I still kinda like it, although I have reverted back to MSE and OA Free now....

25. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

For what I could see, by people complaining, they either make use of Windows XP or Vista.

No one that I know, including myself, running Windows 7 (at least the 32-bit version) has been having problems with it.

Let's hope it gets fixed, though. I have a few family members with Vista and won't install new Linkscanner, until this issue is solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.