AVG Anti-Virus & Internet Security 2011 11.20 Build 3152

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I consider Firecat a cool kid and he's been using AVG for a long time now. :D

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I have a free 1 year license for this.

Any comments on its effectiveness? Compatible with PrevX SOL or is it not needed?

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Surprised about low interest of new AVG10 Free

I never really advised AVG, due to its lack of good rootkit protection in the free version. In the past I preferred Avira (before 10 when the nag screen could be cirumvaded), after that Avast 5 really became my favourite

AVG 10 Free really is a good offering

a). Includes rootkit protection
    In itself not a plus, but equalling out a minus of the past (allthough Avast safe boot scan really outcompetes all other freeware offerings, so when you have switched off UAC Avast is the freebie to choose).

b) Spyware module based on Ewido
    It is one of the few free AV's which checks registry access. Today a lot op people use Windows7 in default setting (Vista came default with one higher setting, riguorisly guarding the Registry as well). So now both As and AV component check programs accessing vulnarable parts of the registry. As said with most users on default UAC this is a reasonable plus compared to others

c) Linkscanner based on Exploit Prevention Labs
    It combines static IP blacklist checking with code analysis. Allthough I have doubt on the claimed effectiveness of code analysis of webpages/javascript, it does it quite fast (compared to Finjan). With IE8/IE9's excellent smartscreen it is a very good setup to stay out of risky places. Add Sunbelts clearcloud DNS and you reduce the risk of coming into problems substantionally.

d) IDS module based on Primary Response Safe Connect
    It was the first behavioral blocker which was available on Vista x64. I even bought a lisence for my son's gaming rig. PRSC was ahead of time, but got passed by ThreatFire and Mamutu. The beta which was tested just before the takeover by AVG, really made up a lot of ground (compared to the best at the time, being ThreatFire). So again for people with no HIPS, an excellent setup.

e) The cache works
    AVG never was the lightest, but I have tested the cache and it approaches AVast implementation on effectiveness.

When you are on Windows7, have a relative new PC and want a simple setup: UAC with Windows7 Firewall control free IE8 (smartscreen on plus Trusteer Rapport free or keyscrambler free), Sunbelt clearcloud DNS and AVG free is all you need (at least It is my setup of choice of friends asking what to do, it also gives me no headaches or time lost needing to assist them).

Thrown MBAM free and Hitman Pro free for occasional on demand scan and you are done. Three years ago, you needed a lot of security knowledge to cook up an all freeware setup yourself with simular protection level. Security gets cheaper and better all the time!

Where is the discussion, where are the new born fanboys?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I did find one:

There's probably more, judging by the number and nature of components updated, but it has not been mentioned.

:D :D

To be honest, it's quite interesting to look back and note that I've now used AVG for four years. Before AVG, I used to change my protection every year. :)

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I think the main problem with PRSC was that it wasn't properly advertised within the "Jane and Joe" domains. That's where such tool applies better. Advanced users rather have a more granular control over things, hence ThreatFire and Mamutu prevailing over it. But, I believe with AVG things will change.

To be honest, until AVG bought SANA Security, I never had hear of it. After reading great things about both PRSC, and then Norton Antibot, which was possible because Symantec was licensed to use it, until AVG bought SANA, and how it worked, I decided to install it in family members's systems.

My choice over ThreatFire or Mamutu.
    ThreatFire seems to be dead, though. But, that's another topic.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

have they allowed a custom install yet to get rid of the pc optimize thing as they swore and promised would be in the next update??

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Well, I'm in a quandary now. I got my license for the free one year AVG IS. Reading this thread, I don't know whether to give it a try or forget about it.

I'd be using it with either Sandboxie or ShadowDefender.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No, not yet (AFAIK). The installer itself will probably only get updated a little later (after 2-3 program updates are released), which means one may have to wait around a little more.

(Plus, I think AVG isn't really interested in removing the PC Analyzer thing anyway....let's see)

9. icr

icr Registered Member

AVG has really good features as stated by Kees1958. It also now incorporates cloud technology for enhanced detection. I find AVG Free really good for Win7 setup. It provides a solid free combination along with this new OS:thumb: :thumb:

10. whitedragon551

Im having the same issue. I have a free 1 year for F Secure AV 2011 and now AVG IS 2011 and sitting around somewhere I have another 1 year license for AVG AV.

My LnS license will last forever until they get to v3. And I really enjoy this firewall, but I almost prefer to go with a simple all in one solution at the same time what I have now is effective and light.

11. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

That PC Optimizer thingy, and their so-called incompatibility issues with 3rd party software makes AVG less attractive. Other than that, you're right. It's got to be one of the best freebies out there, ranked in the first 3 places... great piece of software but a bad "marketing?" approach... IMO

12. Chuck57

And, from what I was told somewhere, the AVG license dates from Oct 6. So, each day it isn't used is a day lost from the license.

13. whitedragon551

I already installed the AV so the license is in full countdown. I still have 300+ days left though.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I just got mine today also, and decided to give it a try for a while. Installed smoothly and seems fine so far. License expires Oct 6th, 2011 here. Good enough. I have not used AVG for years and years, but thought maybe it's time to have another look. No bugs or issues yet on Win 7 x64.

15. Chuck57

I decided to give it a try. Same here, running nicely. No slowdown that I notice. It's in the process of doing its av scan now, which will come up clean. I'm looking through the various things offered.

Not too excited about the pc tuneup option, so will skip that. I don't trust those things. All in all, although it's really early, I'm kind of liking it.

16. atomomega

Really? :thumbd: Well, if that's the case then I don't think I'm gonna be using mine any time soon... Too bad... I really feel very comfortable and secure with my current setup...

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hmmm... Did you see this? Doesn't sound too good, but I haven't seen any problems here yet:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=284227

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

No, they haven't. But, I believe I found a way of making the always appearing warning to check system for errors not to appear, via Registry. I'm not sure, if when I tried 2 days ago if it worked or if it just wasn't appearing. But, considering that today, without the Registry tweak, it did appear quite a few times bugging me, I'm leaning to believe that it did work, but I'll check it out once more and then say if it's affirmative.

If it turns out to be correct, then it sure is way better than having the annoying alert.

19. Chuck57

Interesting. I don't know if it's the same thing, but since installing AVG, I've got at least 2 forums that I can't get to. Suddenly, trying to log into both says my password is incorrect. Obviously, I'm okay here, but the other two are important forums that I need to access. It couldn't happen to forums I seldom read.

I'll give it the rest of the day. If I can't get to those forums, I'm removing AVG to see what happens. It could just be internet problems, but those forums aren't on the same server, so that's unlikely.

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

is there anyway to skin the gui with avg?? just curious. its okay i guess but i really would like it to look a bit more "modern" i guess

21. whitedragon551

Since AVG IS lets you configure what components you want I went with the AV, webshield, link scanner, IDP, and opted out of the FW and the optional languages only.

And its already been removed. This PC Analyzer crap is beyond annoying. Why cant an AV company make a simple yet effective AV without all the unnecessary bloat? Heck any software developer for that matter.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That sounds pretty odd... The only thing I found a little annoying here is that after installing it, my startup time increased quite a bit. Very slow to reach the desktop, whereas usually it's quite fast. I removed it tonight, and went back to MSE for now.

23. Chuck57

Removed AVG a few minutes ago, rebooted and the problem is gone. Got to all my bookmarks. Strange...

So, I'm back to ShadowDefender and Sandboxie, along with MBAM (free). Guess I'll chalk it up to experience and go looking for something else. I'm fairly sure the combo of SD and SB, with Windows firewall is rock solid. I'm on Vista HP sp2. Or, I might just go back to Bufferzone Pro.

24. whitedragon551

I went to uninstall it and had to manually remove it. The installer kept failing to uninstall.

25. atomomega

Not sure if a change log has been posted already, but I found this one @ Matt Rizos's website
    It appears like the list applies to the 2011 line of AVG Free, AVG AV and AVG IS.
    I apologize beforehand if I'm double-posting. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.