AVG Anti-Virus 7.1

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ronjor, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Among the most important new features you will find

* Detection of potentially unwanted applications.
    * Support for Windows XP 64-bit Edition
    * Additional configuration options for the AVG Resident Shield
    * Improved support for screen reader programs
    * Further reduction of update package size
    * Improved automatic configuration wizard for the AVG Firewall
    * And more – extended email scanning options, additional event history logging, extended
    system area test options

Grisoft

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sounds interesting.

3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

i liked its lightweight but it kept missing things..:mad:

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree!

Why use a very light AV on resources, when its detection is bad...

5. minacross

minacross Registered Member

the free version is still ver.7 ..

6. Sher

Sher Registered Member

AVG is a bad product. I've tried it in the past, and it misses a lot of infections. Its detection rate is poor.

Every free AV program sucks, imo. They do only TWO things:

1)Miss infections
    2)Give false-positives

So, it's useless to try those programs. Better buy a good AV product like Kaspersky, NOD32, and PC-cillin.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Too much of a generalisation. ALL AV's miss malware and give false positives at times.

KAV and NOD are among the best of AV programs and all the free AV's are inferior to these 2 big heavyweights.

However, the free editions of AntiVir and Avast are a lot better in detection rates than a lot of other commercial AV programs.

IMO, all the free AV's including AVG will give good protection to most low-risk surfers, particularly if they are supported by a good on-line scanner.

8. Someone

Someone Guest

AVG Does detect viruses better than any other AV I have tried. I have bitdefender pro plus and AVG 7.1 Email Server Edition installed right now and AVG Is much better.

9. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:eek: I just finished installing the new 7.1 version of AVG (21 Oct 05, is the date shown) . Words of advice: If you install this one, do so with a clean install. Disable all other security products you may have on your machine, this includes the fire wall, you can enable them again once the install of AVG has been completed. Went like a champ following these things, remember I utilize dial-up, so this was a big plus to me.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: :D

10. justhere

justhere Guest

AVG Anti-Virus v7.1 will install through the Contol Center or Check for Updates. I found no reason to disable anything. Reboot is required. No problems here

XP Pro SP2

11. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Resources usage, detection rate and FP need a lot of improvement.

May be i should wait till version 8.

12. nicM

nicM nico-nico

looks like the "Detection of potentially unwanted applications" is not in the free version, or does need to uninstall/reinstall AVG (this features is grey, on mine).

13. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:eek: Once again a rather good product (AntiVir/classic) is being mismanaged. Even though they have implemented incremental updating it would appear as if once again only those in Germany and perhaps Europe can access the server(s) to obtain the VDF updates with relative ease, it would look as if the rest of the world still has to wait till they have had their feed and then settle for the crumbs so to speak. This whole situation could be resolved if H+BEDV (the company behind AntiVir) would allow the VDF updates to be placed on other sites beside their own. This has been offered to them by the way, and apparently on more than one occasion. I think we all can see what their reply has been.

I read some where (for the life of me can not remember where) that when you do a new version of AVG you should do as I indicated in my previous post. If it works without doing that, then hay that's o.k. also.

As I have also stated in previous posts, security programs have a tendency to act different on various machines and systems, what works for one may not work for another. That is why I stated try them all and see which one works the best for you. I also sincerely hope that you utilize more than just one security product. I think all of them have their strong and weak points, but hay this is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Wildman

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  14. onlythebrave

onlythebrave Registered Member

Hi
    I have AVG for the last 6 months or so, and have been pleased with it till now.
    Yesterday AVG popped up and told me it had found viruseson my computer. Went to look at the details, and AVG told me it was 'possibly harmful'
    The program it specified was C:\windows\restore.ins:\oemcust\tools\win32\pskill.exe. one embedded in programme the other in archive.

Couldn't find any info on this, but only on pskill, which when googled told me it was not a virus, I think.
    I am not a techie when it comes to computers, so have I got a problem or not!
    AVG has just confused me!!! are they saying I have a virus or not, and is it something I need to attend to? or are AVG just being over cautious. o_O

15. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

This is what it says @ sysinternals:
    Introduction

Windows NT/2000 does not come with a command-line 'kill' utility. You can get one in the Windows NT or Win2K Resource Kit, but the kit's utility can only terminate processes on the local computer. PsKill is a kill utility that not only does what the Resource Kit's version does, but can also kill processes on remote systems. You don't even have to install a client on the target computer to use PsKill to terminate a remote process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.