AVG Anti Spyware and AVG Anti Virus. Do they share data base?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by fimoulia, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Unfortunately that is the problem many of us are facing having spent money on the Ewido product only to find it now being low priority product with AVG.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

You see, those samples I talked about earlier, well, most of them are now detected by Ewido, but they took days to add it compared to AVG, which clearly means that Ewido engine is not getting priority.

I hope Grisoft comes to their senses regarding this, because Ewido has done a lot for Grisoft from a technical and performance standpoint. The least they can do for Ewido's customers is to give them the same support that they give their own products.

3. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Registered Member

I agree,I renewed AVG/ AS because it had the ewido scanning engine.Also had no choice but to upgrade to AVG 7.5 from ewido 3.5 since support for the latter was discontinued.I hope they don't make AVG/AS the third class citizen of their products.I want the ewido scanning engine and am a loyal supporter of it.

4. Firecat

A question for any Grisoft/Ewido representative that may be here: I am an AVG Internet Security customer, so I have both the Ewido and AVG databases combined into one product. If I ever find any malware that is detected by AVG and not by Ewido (or vice versa), should I send these samples for analysis, or should I remain content that one of the engines is detecting the malware? o_O

5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Just a few personal observations,

The virus researchers managing the AVG and Ewido engines are not the same ones; AVG gets its own, ditto for Ewido. Keep in mind that this is merely a hypothesis, but from what I've seen, the AVG and Ewido engines have different response times to user-submitted malware, and use different names for malware detection. Maybe the two teams do exchange the samples they get with each other, but apart from that, they're each doing their own stuff.

That being said, I personally treat the two products as separate from each other, and forward copies of new malware that I come across to both AVG AND Ewido.

6. Firecat

I think you may well be right in that. Yesterday I submitted some samples (to Grisoft as always), and for the first time I saw that Ewido had added them before AVG itself. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.