AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 is the new Ewido release

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by ElPiedra, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

hello mypenry,
    The change over itself is very easy. I just downloaded the new version to my desktop, went offline, uninstalled the old version ( I used the uninstaller in c/programs/ewido folder) I then installed the new version and entered my licence number and did an manual update to start things off and then a scan.
    You will be okay, it's very similar, so you will know your way around it. :)

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

mypenry,

The upgrade to AVG 7.5 anti-spyware is painless. Keep in mind that AVG 7.5 AS is the ewido 4.0 with bug fixes, some new elements, a new name, and a new icon (refer to the very first post in this thread). To be honest, I see no reason for the static that is going on concerning the name change and icon change. Ewido was taken over/bought by AVG. Certain things will change because of this merger, purchase, or whatever. From what I can see, the "ewido" team is intact and still developing and still supporting. The cybercrooks are probably banging the walls, rolling on the floor laughing, and singing victory praises because the icon is different and the name is no longer ewido....sure! ;)

I've been using AVG 7.5 AS on XP-SP2 HE since the first day it was released as an upgrade. It fixed several things that users (including myself) had filed as bugs and were hollering about. It has NOT induced any instability on my system or conflicts with other programs on my system....as ewido 4 did not either. This upgrade is no different than the multitude of updates/upgrades that are released every day by third party vendors. It happens routinely. From what I can determine, it has increased the security protection on my system because the program itself is improved. And the new icon makes it very easy to spot in the systray. :rolleyes:

Rev up...:D

3. mypenry

mypenry Registered Member

THanks Guy's for your welcome comments. Ive just downloaded
    AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 , and followed the instructions,
    and every thing looks OK... and you '' can '' see the new icon in the systray
    looks Ok to me . This learning curve some times feel like a circle ....

Thanks ............. Mypenry

4. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Upgrading from 4.0 with 7.5.0.50

I've just upgraded a customer site from Ewido 4.0 Plus to AVG AS 7.5.0.50. The new install package runs very well & everything upgrades with no probs. No need to enter the codes again & all the settings are retained. A little confusing on the first dialog about uninstalling v4.0 but otherwise, well done guys! :cool:

5. Papakid

Papakid Registered Member

Well, I've been a fan of Ewido for a long time as it has helped a lot of people get cleaned up in the various removal forums. So, altho I understand some of the concerns as to where it may be headed, now that it's under the control of another entity, most of what has been brought up here doesn't bother me--as long as the program continues to be effective.

But by accident I've found something that does in the free version. There is now a nag splash screen engcouraging purchasing of the product once the trial runs out. On my system it pops up every time I log onto Windows. I wouldn't even mind that if the nag was when opening the application, but at every log on was irritating enough for me to uninstall it.

Sorry I didn't make a screen shot or save any logs. And not sure why my "trial" expired after about three days of switching from Ewido 4.0 to AVG AS 7.5. I do know that for some reason, Ewido has never agreed with my system. When doing a full system scan--or just scanning the system32 folder--before it is completed the GUI disappears as if it had never been opened. I didn't really investigate why or report it because of a general lack of time and I don't get any serious infections.

Installing AVG AS 7.5 also caused my icon for Sygate to disappear and couldn't get it's GUI to come up either. The process and service was still running, just had no control of it thru the interface. Uninstalling AVG AS didn't help. It may be coincidental, as this appears to be a known problem with Sygate, just wanted you all to know.

I probably won't have time to try to reproduce this problem since I've decided to switch over to Comodo firewall. I've yet to try to reinstall AVG AS. The only other security process I have running in the background is KAV 5.0.527.

Anyway, the more intense marketing has started with this name change. Those of us who work in HijackThis forums like having the free version to work with and I know we have generated several sales for this product as a result. But if this type of nag popup continues, I may have to look for something else to recommend. Or at least put ewido on the list of tools to uninstall once cleanup is done.

6. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

No, there were no changes to the marketing popups etc.
    Seems to be caused by a bug as the free does not show any dialogs to buy the full version once the trial has expired.

7. JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine Registered Member

-------------------
    I Took the opportunity to switch from version 4.- to 7.5
    on my three PC's and all is running better than Great

Great Product-- Thanks

8. Peter2005

Peter2005 Registered Member

I hope this is the correct place for my question - if not I apologise.

I am currently running the full AVG 7.5 progrmme and am very pleased with it. I do have one minor point I would like help/advice with though.

Whenever I run a scan (daily around 1800hrs) I find that there are some 20 or so tracking cookies picked up. I do not know about anyone else but I find these things intrusive and do not want them on my PC so I wonder is there any was that I can set any element of AVG 7.5 to block these pests as soon as they arrive and delete them immediately and if not is there any known programme that will do this.

Thank you all in anticipation for you help and advice.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

When you click on scanner in the AVG program and then the settings tab, is the box for the tracking cookies ticked?

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

What you need to do is bring up the AVG-AS gui and click the 'Shield' section, then you check the box for 'remove tracking cookies automatically'. Trackers will then be removed realtime while you surf.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Of course Topper, I'd forgotten that, I haven't it ticked as I use ccleaner. Thanks for reminding me :)

12. Peter2005

Thank you Topper for replying to my PM. I see you point ref posing here. I have done what you suggested on the PM but I have the full verson of 7.5 and the 'Shield' option you mentioned does not appear on the top line as you suggested it would.

13. Biscuit

14. Peter2005

No I do not get that. My heading is AVG Internet Security.

15. TopperID

Tt seems to me you are not running AVG-AS (formally ewido) at all!

This is what you need:-

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

It may be that it is incorporated in the Internet Security app of AVG, but I don't run it myself so I don't know the layout. Perhaps someone else could assist?

16. Peter2005

You are correct it had been incorporated into the 7.5 version.

AVG informed me today that there is not now any programme for the deletion of these pests and they have to be deleted after each individual scan.

Thanks for you help anyway.

17. TopperID

That's unfortunate, as it is a useful function.

There are numerous ways of dealing with cookies though. The obvious way is not to allow cookies in the first place. You can disable them in your browser, then re-enable them for sites you trust. In IE you can also elect to block third party cookies and some FW's also block such cookies.

The easiest way though, is to simply clear out all cookies after (or even during) a session by using a cache cleaner such as CCleaner.

Some apps do have the ability to remove trackers while you surf, one such is WinPatrol which you could have a look at. It does require you to list the cookies you want dealt with (though there is a default list), and is not quite as quick as AVG-AS at removing them (every couple of minutes or so, by default, but configurable) but it is still a worthwhile prog with many other features.

18. Peter2005

I do not know whether this will work or not but I have downloaded and installed the AVG Anti-spyware programme and have set it to run a scan 30 minutes before the Main AVG scan is carried out. I have set it to delete the pests on arrival as illustrated in the previous post.

Thank you all very much for your help and assistance.

19. TopperID

Oh dear! Intuitively I don't like the sound of that in case of conflicts.

Still, if it works it works!

Maybe it is possible to disable the spyware section of AVG Internet Security so you do not have it running twice?

Also, you would not want both demand scanners going together, so I hope 30 mins is long enough for the job.

20. Peter2005

Worked OK first time round but am going to run Anti Spy manually before the main Scan commences in case.

Further Update:- I have downloaded and reinstalled the 7.5 Internet Security Package and have opted not to install the Anti Spyware element from the list shown before installation.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  21. Peter2005

Just to let you know that the system mentioned in the above post is working really well and I have had no problems so far.

I run a manual Spyware scan around 3 mins or so before the Main scan commences.

I would like to thank you for your help and advice which was gratefully received.

22. TopperID

That's good news Peter.

It's very unlikely there will problems running the two together now you have uninstalled the duplicate section in the Internet Suite.

23. Biscuit

Peter

Am I to understand that AVG anti-spyware will block tracking cookies, but AVG Internet suite will not? If that is true, then it's crazy that AVG would disable this function as this is what made me choose the product in the first place!

I already have substantial cookie control as I use Firefox with the Cookiesafe extension. I however also like the extra privacy protection from AVG AS.

24. Peter2005

No. The only thing you are unable to do in the Internet Security suite version is to set the option to remove tracking cookies automatically.
    They are shown at the end of a scan and are deleted then. In my earlier posts you will see that I was getting something like 45 per scan.

The Internet Security siute is a good thing and very very effective.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  25. TrueSatan

TrueSatan Registered Member

Today I "upgraded" from Ewido v4 to AVGAS v7.5...and have wished that I hadn't all day.

I'd had Ewido running for it's AT abilities and so like other posters here the AS designation of the AVG product isn't an encouraging factor in my mind...all the same I hadn't expected problems with the new product seeing as the Ewido version ran flawlessly and without undue CPU usage or high RAM needs and every indication given suggested that the two were little different save for some bug fixes and a few extra features.

After the "upgrade" guard.exe ran every CPU cycle it could get at such that my usage was 100% when I'd closed down all other processes I could (OK it's a cold day here and the computer heated the room nicely with this programme running but I have a gas fire for that purpose already)...moreover it consumed in excess of 10.5MB RAM at its lowest. Needless to say I wrote off a contact form report of the above to AVG and am awaiting their reply.

If the system is going to be of any use to me then these CPU and RAM usage figures had best be fixed pronto...I would guess that the same applies to most users too if they are in the same predicament. Clearly the resident shield part of the product can't be left running with the above problem in place so until its fixed I'm left with the functionality of the free version having paid for a full license from Ewido.

I can't say that I feel happy about the purchase situation (Ewido by AVG) and am already looking around for an alternative AT product (I already have NOD32)...I'm open to any and all advice re all of the above and suggestions regarding alternative AT products should there be no satisfactory resolution of this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.