AVG Anti-Malware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Now with new version 7.5 AVG comes in an "Anti-Malware" package with Ewido+AVG technology. I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with this version of AVG? How are the detection rates?

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Well both avg av and ewido always perform well in tests so with them combined together you have some excellent protection. Although i have an avg security suite license i only use the av+as components combined with look'n'stop and so far its been running great. Its cleaned up a couple of trojans and quite a bit of adware that have tried to sneak their way onto my system.

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Isn't AVG 7.1 Free together with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 the same concerning detections as AVG Anti-Malware 7.5?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. Firecat

Strange, I think what you are saying makes sense. But then, why does the AVG Anti-Malware package even exist today if it offers absolutely no benefit over AVG Free + AVG AS? o_O

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

They are quite different because anti malware is compatabile with 0S 98 ,whereas antispyware is not. Antispyware has more tools etc.I guess the anti malware is the "limited" version of antispyware .
    ellison

6. Firecat

Well, then does Anti-Malware have any advantage over AV+AS? Does not seem so....

The main thing I was worried about is that AV-comparatives' tests show AVG to have very poor script malware detection. Is this something I should be worried about?

7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

i can only say that AVG is improving a lot (also others, btw) - how much we will see in the next february test.

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I guess the only advantage would be to users of 98/me.I couldnt answer you accuratly about script detection though.I guess youd need one of the AV experts here to clarify that.What i can say though,is that over the last few months theres been a defenite attempt (and succeeding in my opinion) to improve AVGs overall detection and also frequency of its updates.
    ellison

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Probably faster update servers, email scanning etc, to the av part in the AVG Anti-Malware 7.5 package? :doubt:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  10. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.