AVG and permissions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by janger, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janger

janger Registered Member

I asked this question at the AVG forum and got no help.
    I run XP under a limited user account most times. Whenever I wanted to disable AVG's Resident Shield for defragging etc it was possible to use the RunAs command from my limited account to run the control center as an admin and disable it. But with the newer version AVG seems to pick up on the permissions of the logged-in user rather than the permissions granted by the RunAs command, and therefore will not allow changing options.

Has anyone noticed if this is true on their pc, and if so, will Avast (free) allow me to do this?

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I dont know much about user/admin permissions because i use W98 ,but cant you just terminate AVGs running processes before defrag?.I use system safety monitor to do just that on AVG ISS ,and all other relevant running processes.
    ellison

3. janger

janger Registered Member

Not sure about that. But I found what was going on.

avgcc.exe runs with the logged-in user's permissions, and it seems to only allow a single instance of control center to run. So if I try to start it as admin from a limited account, it just brings up the limited account's running avgcc.exe. Hence not enough permissions to make config changes.

The solution is to first close Control Center, then run it again with admin privileges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.