AVG and NAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Longboard, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Y'all might be interested to know:

Up until today I had NAV2005 and AVGfree running in Harmony.

The recent update by AVG to 7.0.322 almost broke my 'puter.

This is not an invitation for a Symantesc bash session.
    I have had good results so far with NAV/NIS (good for dodo like me)

The AVG upgrade blocked e-mail connection and froze NIS.

Spent about 2 hours uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, googling, etc, etc.
    Went through the AVG free forums: thousands of posts describing similar problems. http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/index.php?0 Plenty of advice about the dangers of running >1 AV app.
    Seems that virtually all firewalls will need (often a simple) adjustment after the update. AFAIK that happens with every AVG upgrade! Had not been a problem resetting things prior to tonight.

Now have managed to set NAV as e-mail scanner and real time scanner.
    Turned off AVG e-mail scanner. "Resident shield still in place"
    "puter seems ok. E-mails comin' and goin'.

NIS looks to be functional.

Some info suggests alternative solution: turn off NAV e-mail scanner.

Is it really that difficult/unstable having >1 AV app running?
    I really would appreciate some feedback/info on other AV that might be compatible with NAV/NIS, as I feel more than 1 is better.

If I'm wrong let me know please.

Still only humble home end user.
    NAV/NIS has been good to me for years, reluctant to change and begin again from scratch. :doubt:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If it were me, I would take off AVG 7.0 and put Antivir PE on and not activate the resident scanner on AntiVir.
    AVG has a lot of running processes now and could cause conflicts.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I dont think AVG has nearly as good malware detection as NAV/NIS.....

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I would suggest removing AVG altogether and set NAV/NIS to handle everything. I would then install Bitdefender Free Edition and use it periodically as a on-demand scanner. Bitdefender can update itself. However because it does not act as a on access scanner and does not scan email as it downloads it should not conflict with NAV/NIS

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I second the suggestion to download Bit Defender free. It is an excellent scanner and updates several times a day. The free version is an on demand only scanner and I think you could probably have it running in the systray along with NAV since it has no real time scanner to fight with NAV's real time scanner. Bit Defender is a much better scanner than AVG. Bit Defender free also does NOT come with an email scanner so again no potential conflict with NAV's email scanner. Of course, you can just use it as on demand scanner periodically without trying to run it in the systray along with NAV. If you run it in the systray though then you could do command line scanning of any files you download to disk with both NAV and BD.

6. Longboard

Thankyou for suggestions.
    Will check out soon.
    Any opinions on Safe'n'Sec as on demand virus scanner?

Regards

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The problem of BitDefender Free is that you need to always have enable a service to BitDefender works...
    Or you can disable that service and when you want to run BitDefender, start the service...

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I also once used NAV and then installed AVG. All seemed to work well until I lost my email. After checking various things I uninstalled AVG and my email was then ok.

My current set up is Bit Defender 8.0 and Mwav escan 4.4.7 as a scanner. I have no conflict with the AV. However a few days ago I found that Ewido did not scan. Today I determined that it starts with Mwav and it takes several minutes to continue scanning. Not sure if there is a way to exclude Mwav from the scan. Ewido finally starts to scan.

I have had both for several months, and so I suppose the problem is the result of the last few Mwav updates.o_O

Jerry

9. Longboard

BTW
    Fogot to mention that I now have AVG running without the e-mail scanner enabled.
    NAV and NIS enabled.
    No problems so far.

Regards.

10. webster

webster Registered Member

Maybe you should take a look here and here ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.