AVG - always finishes in the "also ran" category in recent tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kdcdq, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Removal tools will always be more aggressive than the daily-use products.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Let's say that to detect and deny access is not the same as to remove with a specific tool. I'm certainly more concerned about detection and denying access, even though an accident can happen with any AV, that's why it is important to have other layers or at least a working imaging system.

3. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

In earlier versions there were settings to automatically block suspicious actions rather than ask (in identity protection) and also to download and use the full database. If they are still present in this version tweaking them will improve protection. If we see the AV-C real world test it got low scores since many detections were user dependent.

4. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Identity protection by default is set to ask, but you can change it to block always. That was my preferred setting when I used AVG.

5. Volare

Volare Registered Member

I can see three options for Identity protection:

1). Always prompt – upon threat detection, a special dialog will appear enabling you to decide what to do with the threat (remove or ignore).
    2). Automatically quarantine detected threats – all detected threats will be automatically quarantined
    3). Automatically quarantine known threats – only known threats, already positively verified as dangerous, will be automatically quarantined

I currently have it set on the 3rd option (obviously lesser chance of FP's with this option).

I must have changed it a while ago, while I was testing an open-source video authoring app and AVG identity protection flagged it as a possible threat. I raised it with AVG and they confirmed it was an FP and immediately added the app to their whitelist (within 4 hours). I think I'll go back to "Always prompt", just to increase the level of protection and we'll see how it goes.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

^No, it was changed a while back from AVG's end via an update. For an unknown threat, it will still prompt AFAIK.

7. Volare

Volare Registered Member

Hmmm, so we're saying that AVG changed everyone's setting to "3) Automatically quarantine known threats" ? Even though the most current user manual (and help file) state that "Always prompt" is the option that is on by default?

For "3). Automatically quarantine known threats", just to ensure I fully get your drift, are you stating that this option will quarantine all known threats but still prompt for unknown threats? My understanding according to the description in the user manual is that it will detect and quarantine only known threats (But I guess this defeats the purpose of providing zero-day protection, so you're probably right).

Thanks Mate,

8. Firecat

Yes, that is what I am saying. They changed the behaviour of the IDP in order to attempt to get a better score at AV-Comparatives' real world tests. The improvement has not been stellar as we can all see, which leads me to believe there's a different issue at play here. That being said, it's nothing to worry about.

9. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

I work in the I.T industry and most computers I see that basically need wiping are systems running AVG. I don't see it very effective at all in the real world. I wouldn't install it for any user.

10. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I wanted to write a big THANK YOU to Firecat for his time, experience, and expertise in detailing his long-time experiences with using AVG, as well has providing valuable insight to this forum as well. Hats off to you. :)

11. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

That may, indeed, be your experience. In my 39 years in IT, I have seen more systems that 'needed wiping' that were running some flavor of Norton than all other security products combined. That is my experience. Your highway mileage may vary.. :rolleyes:

12. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Yup...as I said, computers I have seen. Norton is a big offender as well, but AVG is the worst that I always come across. Why? Because it's free and is simply loaded on more systems. :p

13. geekatlarge

geekatlarge Registered Member

In my paltry 10 years, it's McAfee, Norton and AVG in descending order. Though MSE is moving up the ranks rapidly.

14. Firecat

Thanks, I hope I can bring further clarity and productive discussion to this forum in the future :)

15. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Breaking news is what I`m talking about.

So I repeat where is your links ?

16. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Well, you can answer by that which AVs are the most widely spread. I guess you have never seen an infected PC running Kingsoft - this doesn't mean it's the best AV.

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Do your own research. "The truth is out there".

18. Behold Eck

The truth is that this is a "lets have a go at AVG agian for no particular reason" thread.

19. Behold Eck

Well said,

it`s the end user at fault not the AV product.

It doesnt matter which AV you have, if your going to engage in high risk behaviour then eventually an infection will occur.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

avg is not terrible but imo it is not a top tier av for me. it does a pretty decent job but i find others that are better

21. geekatlarge

geekatlarge Registered Member

Sure, I should have been clearer. The worst infections I've seen over ten years are on computers protected by Norton, McAfee and AVG, with MSE a close 4th and rising. Fewest on Avast Free, Eset, Kaspersky. Never seen Kingsoft on a client's computer, so I can't comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.