AVG 9 AV free on August 31

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cp4eva, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

2. gery

gery Registered Member

praise the Lord i'll finally have my key again.

3. icr

icr Registered Member

So many promos these days;) Its good to see many security vendors giving away licenses for free:)

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Considering the paid-for companies are being hammered by free products, I'm not surprised, expect price drops soon too.

5. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Sounds Good, I'll stick it in my downloads folder :)

6. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

You beat me to it. I was just going to announce it :)

Chris/V3.co.uk

7. chriswiles

No kidding, I first approached AVG about this....December 2009. Amazing. It's taken that long to finalise.

Chris.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What's the difference between the link scanner in the free version and the added "online shield" in the paid version? Does the online shield just scan downloads, and if so, does it scan those downloaded using Chrome?

I've been using the free version the past few days and it is surprisingly light and running without issue.

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Keep in mind the Large majority of funds a AV company gets comes from Corporate releases not the consumer. The consumer versions are kind of like a bonus. :cool:

10. PintoX

PintoX Registered Member

I'm using a new version of Bitdefender Antivirus Pro 2011 with a genuine licence.

Maybe I change to AVG Antivirus 9.0. Maybe after this promotion, AVG lanches the 2011 (v10) versions of this products, like Bitdefender did.

11. chriswiles

Unfortunately not, no. According to our top contact at AVG, the 2011 release is "closer to Winter than Autumn". Which probably means sometime after middle of October?

However, bear in mind two things:

1) You get a "sales code" from the free AVG promo which you can store and use at any time. Your years license starts after you install and register your code.

2) You'd get the 2011 edition free of charge, as part of your 12-month license.

Chris.

12. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

thats great promo

lots of offers .. very nice

13. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I ll be doing it too, install if ever need to.

Bo

14. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

How do you get it??,. click on it or, oh noz im gonna forget i know it :(..... Tommorow right?, 30th here today.

15. chriswiles

Yep, from the 31st. Problem is, if we don't promote early enough people complain they've not been given enough notice. If we promote too early, people complain that it's a "scam" and a ploy to get people to the store. It's definitely not the latter !

Indeed, store stores take a hit when we run these free promos. Maybe people think we'll end up giving everything away for free? hmm.

Chris.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Vanilla AV is not much better than AVG Free so not really worth bothering. If there was Identity Protection involved, i'd check it out, but now, not really interested...

17. acr1965

I think many others will have the same response. But if the shelf life of the license key is longer than normal for a giveaway (does not begin to run until the key is activated) then it may be beneficial to get a key and wait for the 2011 version which may include ID protection. I agree with you that without a behavior monitor the av is limited although there are many free and competent behavior monitors/HIPS programs available.

That being said though, this is a nice giveaway, especially since it does not involve one of those companies that a person can find giveaways on all the time. I expect the response to the giveaway to be exceptional.

@ChrisWiles - I notice many people asking about the ID Protect. And I notice that your v3 store sells it for the normal price that can be found on grisoft, in fact more expensive than the security suite. If there were some way to run a special on the ID protect it could get some decent response from sites like Wilders and other tech sites.

18. chriswiles

Not from tomorrow. I think we're doing it for £1.95. Don't quote me on that, I need to get the calculator out to work out margins.

It's supposed to be an option for the free AVG AV, to give users the option to get IDP really cheap - AVG authorised this.

Chris.

19. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ill give it a try tomorrow. Its free so might as well grab it.

20. acr1965

If your store does that then it would be a good idea to give that its own thread. I think many wilders users have complained about there being fewer behavior monitors available than in the past. Norton antibot and Sana Security were fairly popular programs when they were offered as stand alone programs except (IIRC) there were some compatibility issues with Vista at the time. If the current IDP runs well in Vista/Windows 7 the sale may go over pretty well.

21. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

22. PintoX

PintoX Registered Member

Working!!!

23. gazs1

gazs1 Registered Member

got the free avg pro but not installed yet, got the identity protection for £1.95 and installed straight away and so far no probs running defensewall, sandboxie and mse on xp sp3, dont know whether to swap mse for avg proo_O as along with acronis for images i think i have most things covered now:D

24. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I don't understand.In the mail received,it says that we HAVE TO REGISTER within 30 days,after it loses it's validity.So....how the is correct way?Keep the temporary license(this is what we receive from the store site),or register and keep the license provided from AVG site?

25. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I purchased ID also but oddly when I check "Prompt to save work before removal" it then prompts that you won't be prompted if you leave it checked. Very confused here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.