AVG 9.0 Free is out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

RejZor, I just tried to download the EICAR.com test file and I got both an AVG and a Windows Defender warning:

Capture10-18-2009-11.36.56 PM.gif Capture10-18-2009-11.37.32 PM.gif

Do you remember if you selected the Plug-in for Microsoft Office while installing AVG? That is if you did a Custom Installation.

The reason why I ask is because of this Post of mine where I found my Email Scanner problem.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, i'm not using any e-mail plugins.
    I always have to double-click the EICAR to get this warning.
    MSE however triggers alert right away. Maybe that's the reason why AVG also reacts on it right away, because MSE accesses the EICAR.com sample.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rejzor, the reason why I mentioned the plugin is because that's the title of my AVG warning prompt.

In my case, AVG alerted first, then WD, however, you are correct in your assumption of MSE being the trigger. There are times when I run WD and if it finds something, AVG alerts me first. It's like they are racing each other to offer the warning!

4. progress

progress Guest

To find out what's the difference I installed a trial of AVG IS 9.0 :) When you click on the Anti-Rootkit component you get the option to scan for hidden files. My conclusion: AVG 9.0 Free has the same rootkit protection, but AVG 9.0 Free isn't able to detect installed rootkits. AVG 9.0 Free and GMER sould be fine ;)

BTW: The only important differences are the firewall and the Identity Protection component. AVG IP is now included into the AVG GUI, the second tray icon has gone :)

5. jpzsports

jpzsports Registered Member

How does AVG 9 compare with MSE and Avira?

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

In terms of what? I think it is lighter, but suspect the detection may be slightly less than those two.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

jpzsports, in your first ever Post, you asked a similar question and BlueZannetti replied, closing that thread.

Wilders has a Posting Policy Statement - Antivirus Software regarding these types of questions. We do not need for this thread to become an A vs B debate, because it will be closed as well.

Heed the advice given by Blue. There is plenty of information throughout this forum for you to make a personal decision on what AV to use.

JR

8. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Just an fyi
    I asked AVG about support for 8.5
    this was their answer

"Please let us inform you that there is no predefined discontinuation date for AVG 8.5 by this time. All users will be informed in advance about the ending of support for AVG 8.5. Alerts via AVG User Interface will be implemented in order to provide correct interaction before upgrading."

Remember when 7.5 was not supported anymore? It was i believe at the end of the year. I am betting that 8.5 will be the same time. Just my opinion.

robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.