AVG 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

but everybodies 'bearably heavy' threshold isn't the same. Also for me if the product does ' as adveritised' keeps the malware, trojans rootkits' off your computer would the trade off not be worth it?...2 weeks ago I had to work a week getting a vundo bug off my wifes machine, I'll wait to try it but I would say I could live with it if it keeps me clean and not have to hastle with malware...

2. drizzly

drizzly Registered Member

Free users will get spyware too

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I agree that everybody's threshold for "bearably heavy" is not the same. That is why I said the product needs a little more refinement, because there is a slowdown in a few cases and I could see it, but it isn't showstopping for me because I have seen much heavier products. But then, I was using the Internet Security edition, mileage can vary with the AV-only edition. :doubt:

The product works very well though, I have no complaints about the way it works.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Is there the possibility to a custom install (i.e. only the AV, only the on-demand scanner, etc)?

5. larryb52

I have the license for the suite as well so I'll compare notes later. My wife's machine has f-secure but she's not happy with it as she see's the slowness (786 mem-xp pro) & she wants something lighter but I know she's secure with F-secure at least IMHO, sorry for getting off topic...I want to see how it runs on her's...

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I did a custom install and their is only a few options. I left out the E-mail Scanner as I use Yahoo. I think you can leave out the Web Shield too, and maybe the Resident Shield. Sorry for my lack of memory on this as I just installed AVG this morning, but I hope it helps a little bit at least. I will add that my PC is a Pentium 4 with only 512MB of RAM, and there doesn't seem to be any significant slowdowns. As far as the web browsing though, it's weird because sometimes it seems slow and other times it seems as fast as it did before AVG 8.0 was installed. I like the look and the potential of AVG 8.0 however, so it may be worth keeping it on board for awhile.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Thanks Wordward :)
    So, it seems that you can install the on-demand scanner if it's all that you want (like in 7.5)

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im using it at the moment, so far.... very good.

lets see how it performs ;)

Untitled.jpg

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

How's everyones boot times? Fast. ok, or slow? Mine is faster with AVG 8.0 than it was with ZAAS or Comodo Pro installed. However, it takes a little time after reboot for the icon to appear and for everything to settle down.

10. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Well, they have cured the serial key update problem. Installed fine and running well. So far I am impressed, no real slow down noticed here. I like the changes to anti spam.

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Does anyone know if the Web Shield can cause any web browser slow downs? I think my browsing speed is a little faster with it disabled. Also is the Web Shield really even needed? I don't use either of the two Instant Messaging programs it covers, and I would think the AV or AS would catch something if you after the download. You can actually uninstall it through the Custom Install feature and I was thinking about doing it depending on what some you other AVG users think. After playing around with AVG today I just now started up Mamutu to run with AVG and they seem to be getting along well. Take care everyone.

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I just installed AVG 8 Antivirus using my AVG AM 7.5 license key. I installed the AV because I didn't like the firewall in AVG 8 Security Suite.

Although this new version is an improvement over AVG 7.5, I still think AVG is very strange when it comes to configuring. I've found this in the security suite and now in the AV. When I go to Scans in Advance Settings, and click on Set Additional Scan Reports, a box opens with 5 black bars, and an OK and Cancel button. What is that? When I click on the Anti-Rootkit button in the main GUI, there are 3 black bars under Anti-Rootkit Settings. Again, what is that?

EDIT.......Just found another one. I opened the GUI, clicked on Computer Scanner, clicked on Change Scan Settings, and again got the box with the black bars. This is bull ****. Back to KIS 7.

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I don't get any black bars when clicking on any of the items you mention or indeed in anything else. I'm currently running a trial of IS 8. I've gone through all advanced settings and all of the components shown in the overview and no black bars anywhere. Can you post a screenshot?

14. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

cheers see it now downloading :argh:

15. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey Graystoke. I'm not sure what happened, but you mentioned you used your "old" AVG 7.5 license. I believe like myself that everyone has upgraded theirs on the Grisoft website and has used the "new" license. I wonder if using your old license somehow messed up your installation? I would go upgrade your old license to the new one for AVG 8.0 and download the new version, and then do a complete uninstall/reinstall using the new license.

16. larryb52

it boots good, now that I did the vista windows fix running better on the internet in IE but I'm still hedging on this, it isn't running like the beta...also tring the seach function & that seems to be slow as in real slow rating the sites I google...other than that it is lightning fast & nil effect on my machine very minimal ram as well.. However I use Opera alot wondering if this is even covered by AVG? unsure maybe someone knows, Initial feelings is I like it but it's too early yet...

17. maddawgz

Love it! with msn issue update to 9.0 beta and problem solved..... dont need to go into Internet options security... quite fast for me on core duo, only complaint is if you want to turn of a service the icon in taskbar goes red :D

oh and its already saved me in the first 5min screenshot of webshield

edit
    wholy crap scan results so much for 7.5?

Attached Files:

18. maddawgz

and webshot gaurd activated too

Attached Files:

19. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

You know, I got those exact same test results with AVG 8 and I know my pc is NOT infected with those really, really nasty things. I was wondering if maybe those results have something to do with using SpywareBlaster in the past.

20. maddawgz

so do i remove them? something is up here then i almost died , i have spyware blaster and S&D active x, i noticed they are warnings at end of scan i only had 2 deleted..

21. curiousmicrobe

curiousmicrobe Registered Member

Very impressed with this new product from AVG. :thumb:

I like that it scans and clears potentially dodgy cookies plus it is nice and light.

Now it would be interesting to see how well it does in AV-Comparatives tests.

22. Graystoke

Upgraded old license to new one for AVG 8. Uninstalled/reinstalled using new license. Same problem with the black bars. Why me, and no else having this problem? o_O :mad:

23. curiousmicrobe

Can you post a screenshot? Are you running a custom visual style in Windows XP or Vista?

24. Graystoke

Here's a screen shot of what I'm getting in AVG 8.......

Attached Files:

• AVG.JPG
      AVG.JPG
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
  25. curiousmicrobe

That's a fault with the theme or skin you're using on your computer and the product used to run that theme. I believe you're using WindowBlinds? Try changing your theme or uninstalling WindowBlinds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.