AVG 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

You don't need to have the software installed, to get a new license key. Anyway, they got it fixed now :thumb:

Cheers

2. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I still can't log on Live Messenger. With or without Linkscanner active. Sp what's blocking it?

3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thanks. got it installed and running. It's very nice and i like it. However, I believe I am noticing a slight bit of slow down in web surfing and with my PC in general. I was wondering if anyone is running Mamutu, ThreatFire, or any other HIPS with AVG 8.0? I currently have Mamutu disabled, but I was thinking about enabling it to see how well it runs with the new AVG.

4. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

When I'm at AVG.com, trying to contact Technical Support, they ask for the license number. But when I type it in, I just got an error. Is it just me who is having problem with it?

5. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

About the slow websurfing:
    This is what Support writes about problems with Vista:

"On some computers with Windows Vista, opening of websites can be greatly slowed down when AVG WebShield is active. This behavior is in fact caused by a problem in one of the Windows network drivers, and can be fixed by installing the Windows update KB929547."

6. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Thanks, I will try it out! I'll be reporting back to see of it worked.

As I stated before, I couldn't log into Live Messenger. To get permission to log in I had to go under "WebShield" and uncheck "Instant Messaging", in case someone else have the same problem as I. BUT, then again, I get an ugly red "!" which I want to get away. :p Are there any way to get that away?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  7. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your computer but since the product is suppose to protect in all areas of security it would be interesting to see how it ran on it's own, just my 2 cents & how I will try it tonight...

8. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I agree with you. It's just that I like using my new free Mamutu. LOL. I'll wait for a day or so and let me know what you think about the new AVG tonight. Thanks.

9. larryb52

I will let you know about 8 hours from now & I really can't wait. If this thing can do what it says & runs soft than that would be almost too true to believe. I am hopeful, wish I was home...

10. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Can someone try to type in their license number at AVG.com under Technical Support? Because AVG state that they can't find my license number in their database when I want to contact Technical Support, so I want to know if it's only me who have the problem.

11. larryb52

thanks for the info, I run vista , I'll make sure that installed before hand...

12. Big Apple

Well.....I got the update, but didn't speed up my browsing at all. It's just too slow for me and I'm really disappointed, as I really liked Avg Antivirus Pro, but now with the new stuff........it's not my choice at the moment. Don't know why all the AV makers are making the programs/suites that heavy.

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It works for me. I suggest you drop an email to technicalsupport<<<|||at|||>>>grisoftDOTcom and tell them about the problem you are facing (also provide details of your license key). They DO read all the emails ;)

14. larryb52

had you tried the beta?, I ran that for quite a few days & it ran well. I hope they didn't chg something...

15. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Thanks Firecat! I will do.

Appreciate it :)

16. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Hi,

I had the same problem. This solved it for me.
    Internet Explorer
    Tools
    Internet Options
    Advanced
    Security
    (uncheck box) Check for Server Certificate Revocation
    close Internet Explorer
    try to log onto Windows Messenger.

Hope this helps
    Regards,
    Jim

17. Big Apple

Yes, I tried the beta and already had the slow opening of programs and websites and had a hope, that would be fixed with the final. I don't want to tweak in order to get a fast AV scanner, I'll be looking for another fast program, as I know, that Avg free is not the proper solution.

18. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

It helped! Thanks!

But do I get a security lack when I uncheck "Server Certificate Revocation"?

19. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Hi Jadda,

I think this fix can be problematic, especially since Microsoft itself suggested it specifically for people having problems with logging into their Windows Live Messenger account.

I'm sure one of the "Boys from Dover" here at Wilders can give you the detailed answer. :thumb:

Regards,
    Jim

20. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I downloaded AVG Internet Security 8.0 and followed exactly all of the steps listed in the AVG document 'How to install AVG 8.0 Internet Security over AVG Internet Security 7.x'. The new software refuses to install and I have sent the installation log to AVG for a solution.

The roor message is: 0127 INST INS ERROR CRE 8250 val_AVG8_Avgtray_Run

I have had the same failure even with a freshdownload of the new software, even after running RegVac (www.superwin.com) to ensure any old registry entries have been removed.

I have tried to reinstall AVG Internet Security 7.5 from a CD bought from AVG last month, but still the same failure, so no antivirus cover!

I have enabled Windows Firewall and am using Sandboxie and shall run PrevxCSI (paid-for) version after posting this.

Has anyone else had this particular problem and if so what was the answer please?

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, I gave AVG 8.0 Internet Security a try and have mixed feelings. The new interface looks quite good but is quite a departure from the AVG 7.5 interface which I had grown used to and had become very simple to use for me. The new AVG engine has better heuristics and higher detection rate, so its quite good actually.

As far as memory use goes I find it slightly but bearably heavy, reported memory usage is not too high but I noticed that sometimes the CPU usage spikes occasionally. The LinkScanner technology is interesting; but it does seem to slow things down slightly sometimes. I think this suite needs a little refinement, after that it can be very darn good. :)

I am generally impressed with this product though. :)

22. drizzly

drizzly Registered Member

All except free!

23. drizzly

Yeah in about 4 months

24. drizzly

Are you from the UK? if so there is telephone support, ring them! licence numbers and sales keys are different and there is no number1 on any of the keys. its the letter I the biggest common problem of getting an error

25. drizzly

open your control panel and get the updates, the AVG icon should go back in colour

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.