AVG 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

It's 2 years ago or something, since AVG bought Ewido, so nothing new here. Only version 8 is new.:)

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Anyone using the new build 90 and having issues of any sort?

3. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Still big slowdown when browsing, but seems a little faster than the prior build, but still hardly able to open Hotmail.
    But......good news......there's a fix on it's way!

4. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Yes! I am using AVG Anti-Virus build 8.0.90 and am having some issues. Firefox "experiences problems and has to close" fairly often. Also, I have been getting the error message: "avgnsx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." This latter item has occurred about 8 times while just browsing the internet. So, I don't know what these are caused by. I'm using XP Home Edition SP2.o_O

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Reinstall AVG using the setup files for the latest build downloaded from Grisoft's website. I have not experienced any such error here on my PC, though like I noted earlier the LinkScanner technology does seem to be playing much better with IE7 than Firefox.

Build 90 is decent, but there are still a few bugs to be fixed. It seems AVG 8.0 was rushed out a bit too early by the marketing department, I think it'll take another 2-3 updates more to get it 100% usable (without significant compromises) for most users.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Do I understand that the remaining problems are with the link scanner?

7. Firecat

Though most of the problems are with the LinkScanner, there are a few with the WebShield as well. The reason LinkScanner is related to the problems AVG 8 has is because LinkScanner is the "annexed" product to AVG 8: It was not a part of the original design of the software and was put into it only after the acquisition of EXPLabs, unlike the other features which were planned for AVG 8 from the start. You can't just "tack on" a new technology without having any problems at all, and I'm guessing this is the root of the problem. The time pressures probably did not allow the team to make a better integration of the technology (since currently EXPLabs technology is used in AVG as a plugin).

8. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Firecat,
    How do you recommend I should re-install: should I uninstall the present version first and then install the latest download, or install the latest download over the present one? Thanks very much for your help!

9. Firecat

Uninstall and then reinstall. See what happens.

10. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Re-installing with the very latest build seems to have solved the problems. So far, after doing so, I have not experienced any of the "crashes." Thanks again for the help!

11. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

[sarcastic]
    Seems they iron out all the initial bugs before releasing the "free" version :D
    [/sarcastic]

Anybody has trialled AVG 8 in a corporate environment yet?

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Reinstalled latest build but without firewall and toolbar. Running ok, but there still seems to be an ever so slight slowdown with my PC and sometimes when opening Firefox up. All in all this build seems faster than previous ones and hopefully more speed improvements are on the way. Web Shield doesn't seem to be slowing down surfing now though, so for now I'm satisfied with AVG 8.0. Anyone else not using the firewall? I will most likely install it to see if that slows any browsing down, but I doubt it does. Also how is everyones boot times? Mine seem a little slower than it did with AVG 7.5, so I'm curious. Thanks.

13. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I never installed the toolbar and i've got the linkscanner turned off.I'm running it with the newest version of Comodo,seems alright here as well.:thumb:

14. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I have AVG 8.0 Build 90, and am having the same problems. I wondered if anyone had figured out the real problem yet. Appreciate any input.

15. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just found something that may have already been reported. If you shut down AVG's Sys Tray Icon and then go to start menu All Programs and try to open AVG Tray Icon within the AVG menu, it won't appear back in the tray. I tried several times and only a reboot takes care of it. Something else too. maybe it's my imagination, but my PC seems faster without the icon in the Sys Tray and Firefox opens much faster.

16. cdr

cdr Registered Member

And I spoke too soon, earlier...once again, this morning, Firefox "encountered a problem and needed to close." I have now tried disabling the AVG Firefox add-on, per this suggestion on the AVG Forum:
    http://www.avgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=67
    Let's see if this works!o_O
    Later Note: Nope, this didn't help! As a matter of fact, I got about three "Firefox crashes" and two "avgnsx.exe" crashes in rapid succession!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  17. entropism

entropism Registered Member

You know, I REALLY wanted to give AVG a chance with 8, and the old argument still rings true. Is it even still worth running if you have to disable half the stuff you installed it for in the first place?

18. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Apparently I spoke to soon as well. I decided to do a clean uninstall and reinstall to see if it fixed the icon problem I mentioned and a message popped up about an error. I then tried again and it popped up a message that basically stated cannot uninstall. Thank goodness for Revo uninstaller as it uninstalled AVG 8.0, but what a mess afterwards. I still had to take over 15 minutes to find all the left over items from AVG ISS in the registry, Windows System 32 Driver folder and other places on my PC. I may not have used revo correctly, but if AVG would have uninstalled on its own it would have removed most everything as it did when I first uninstalled it awhile back. I know I did nothing to cause this uninstall problem as I had both Mamutu and ZAAS shut down during uninstall. It actually installed fine and I thought with the slight speed improvements I noticed it may be a keeper, but it isn't.

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I did just give AVG another chance, but I'm done. I didn't even install the free AVG Pro 7.5 I had. I have Avast Home installed now and it's running great with Mamutu and ZAAS. Avast is free, effective and has been mostly a trouble free program for sometime now. I am upset with Grisoft for what has been an apparent rushing of their new program, and I think maybe they could learn a lesson or two from Alwil.

20. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I see that FF is the real bug here :D

I think avg 8 was mainly intensively tested for compatibility with IE.

In the other hand, the more security apps you're running simultaneously, the more problems will arise ;)

21. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

Yes
    when bringing up firefox 2.0.0.13 or ie 7and googling a word,
    when it goes to the google search engine, linkscanner starts

up but then I get an error msg that augnsx.exe has to

terminate because of an error. This is also happening on

another computer I have where I own the AVG 8.0

antispyware program. This started happening after their

last program update 8.0.0.90. It did not happen before.

If I disable linkscanner I do not see this error msg because it doesn't load the linkscanner on search sites.

Anyone else seeing this?

robin

22. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

robin, I have had problems similar to yours - I am now trying "disabled" Safe Search - think it's helping my situation. Methods for disabling Safe Search in IE and Firefox are at:

http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1143#faq_1143

I did NOT disable linkscanner - just the add on's for Safe Search. I don't have a red notification in the AVG icon in my taskbar by doing this.

23. robinb

robinb Registered Member

first this did not happen before version 90
    So i think AVG needs to fix this so we do not have to "disable" anything

Everyone who is seeing this problem after the last program update should send a diagnostic to AVG through the AVG Diagnostic tool or the support page at their website for AVG 8.0 so they see others are having this problem and will make a fix for it.

robin

24. Diver

Diver Registered Member

IMO, the safe search feature is a strange one, but I suppose if they put it in the program it should work.

Has anyone noticed AVG 8 uses a lot of memory with everything enabled? Not what shows up in the list of running items but check the difference in total memory before and after installation. On Vista SP1 it is about 120 MB.

Somewhere I noticed a post saying the free version would not have the web and link scan features and would have spyware detection. Ironic if the free one turns out to work better than the paid version.

Of course there are threads in this forum dealing with the other two of the three aces. One is out and is a crowd pleaser. There other is near at hand, perhaps.

25. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

is anyone having problems with avg 8 messing up their internet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.