AVG 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't care if they also remove web shield, rootkit and email scanning as long as they keep full AV part, antispyware part and uncrippled updater. Once a day is just totally lame for todays usage.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Yes ....custom install is available.I left out the firewall.
    ellison

3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thanks ellison64. How stable is this RC? I read on the beta page about some of the bugs that they are aware of, but nothing glaring. Also as far as when the new release will be out. It says on the same site that the public beta expires April 1st. Not sure if that's any indication if the final version would come soon after this though.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

It seems very stable to me.The only problem/bug that ive noticed on my old OS (w2000 pro sp4) is that when system tools module is activated ,only "autostart" is populated.Nothing shows for network connections,browser extensions,or lsp viewer.Ive already made avg aware of this.
    ellison

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thanks again. I am soooo tempted to try it, but I know i should just wait until final release. What do think though, should I give it a spin? It does update everyday right?

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the beta is quite stable now woodward, surely worth a try.

7. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I have a license how do I sign in?

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

got it thanks...

10. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Cant wait o see how it perform on Av-comparatives

11. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

im not sure the upgrade will be free... :(

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Upgrade will be free AFAIK....

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Will the license for AVG AM be sufficient to get the AVG 8?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I don't know yet about AM users being upgraded to AVG 8 Internet Security, but most likely NO, because the price difference between AVG Pro and AM is too small to justify such an upgrade for AM users. If they did that then Pro users may feel slighted, and hence it most likely will not happen. AM users may have to use AVG AV instead.

AM users will, however, get an upgrade to AVG Antivirus version 8 for free.

What is more strange is that the charts do not show an Anti-Spyware product. Does this mean AVG Anti-Spyware is dead?

15. L815

L815 Guest

I couldn't log into WLM after installing it -_-

16. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The present AVG free has a minimalist interface that does not allow exclusions. That has turned out to be killer for me. Don't hope for too much.

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Not to go way too OT, AVG free will no longer support Windows 98 after August 2008.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-virus/us/crp/0

18. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Has the detection improved with the new engine? I believe AVG ranks well below Avira, Kaspersky, Norton etc when it comes to detection rates currently. How are the heuristics compared to others?

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:blink: Woodward :blink: are you sure you wernt thinkg of the Actor Edward Woodward then :blink: by the way did you know if you removed al the letter "D" from Edwards full name it sounds like this "EEE!! WAAA!!! WOOO!! WAAA!! *puppy* :D :p

20. kodl

kodl Registered Member

What tests do you have in mind in these comparisons? AVG passed all the recent VB tests, also in other tests (AV Comparatives, AV-test etc.) it definitely is not 'well below' Avira, Kaspersky or Norton.
    But the engine is completely new, also contains new heuristics with the new emulator. Plus the LinkScanner for web exploits, which is definitely something that the others don't have

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Firecat.

Makes sense to me.
    I am really pulling for AVG. They have provided the free version, and most folks I know who do not use the OEM AV use AVG free. AVG has been improving, according to the test I have seen, and I am happy that they are getting up there with the "Big Boys."

Regards,
    Jerry

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i too, am hoping for a good version.

not many people know that i actually own more years than the doctor.

but this is only because they were a decent price :)

and, being a fan of AVG, i thought.. why not.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

same
    for the firewall popup i clicked on allow safe. didnt allow me to login tryed to change rules but couldnt find it in the advanced section.
    lodore

24. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

so what's news? what's the latest one outo_O? i didnt like the 8 suite bogged me down a bit..so went back to pro? you think theyll bring out a 8free? or pro even without firewall id like to see one with just antispyware and antivirus only :D

edit i just seen screenshot of products i see avg antivirus looks good with AS , can you download that yet in beta? think id rather just av/as like pro then a suite

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  25. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey it's me wordward. I came close to trying the RC, but I decided to wait. I wonder does the new version slow down anyones browser or PC? When I install the AS Component in my current version of AVG ISS, I notice a slight difference in Firefox loading after I click on it, and my PC in general seems slightly slower. The exe for the AS Component runs at around 71K in Task Manager which is a lot. I know this isn't always an indication of the heaviness of an application, but it's still very high. My PC only has 512MB RAM and a Pentium 4 processor. Anyway, I just wondered how light the RC runs and if any major bugs or problems have cropped up lately. Also is anyone running ThreatFire with it? If I do give it a try, I didn't want to uninstall TF if I didn't have to. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.