AVG 8 trial version problems

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PDM, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDM

PDM Registered Member

I have the paid version of AVG antispyware (ver 7.5) running already and had been using AVG free AV (7.5) until problems keeping it updated caused me to abandon it.

I saw that AVG ver 8 was released so I downloaded the trial version thinking that I would update if I was satisfied with the performance, etc.

One problem. With AVG 8 and AVG antispyware 7.5 running, when I try to use Outlook to check my email, Outlook is totally unresponsive. If I uninstall AVG 8, Outlook functions normally.
    I notice that it appears that they appear to have combined the antispyware function into AVG 8, so perhaps having both installed is causing the problem. I have emailed their tech support to inquire, but have not yet received a response.

Obviously I don't want to be without virus protection. Has anyone else experienced such an issue?

2. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

AVG 8 now include the anti-spyware component, so you should also remove avg 7.5 antispyware from your system, it might be the cause of your problem.

Kin

3. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Yes remove 7.5 because it will conflict. There is a bug in the 8.0 program when you have avg free and avg 7.5 antispyware.It removes one but not both programs.

Also try these things but one at a time.
    to see if it works.

Double click on Email Scanner Components
    Uncheck- Scan outgoing messages.
    Now see if Outlook works

If not:
    Reinstall the program right on top (once you have removed 7.5 antispyware)
    Do a add/remove within the program, not a repair
    When it gets to this box, uncheck the plug in for Outlook but make sure the Personal email scanner is checked.
    See if it works now
    robin

4. PDM

PDM Registered Member

Well, I'm making progress, but still having an issue.
    I discovered that since I have the paid version of Anti-spyware I'm eligible for a "free" upgrade to ver 8 .
    I downloaded that, uninstalled all AVG software and installed AVG ver 8. Went through all the setup, updates, etc and the software appears to be functioning normally, however..........
    Whenever I click on an email that contains any type of attachment, Outlook freezes. This does not occur on email without attachments. I tried checking and unchecking the 'Scan outgoing messages' box, but it has no effect on this issue.
    I've emailed AVG tech support and will report what they tell me, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.