AVG 8 Free annoyances

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mrkvonic, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

This software is a definite no-go for me. I installed it, and it slowed my computer down to a crawl (XP SP2, 512MB RAM). Then the next time I tried to reboot, the only thing that would appear was my desktop wallpaper... no icons, no taskbar, no anything. I shut the computer off and attempted to boot one more time - same result. I tried a third time - same result - would not boot. I finally booted into safe mode and uninstalled it. I rebooted, and my computer booted normally and ran like a charm. I don't know if there were any other software conflicts, but the only other security apps I run are Threatfire and Winpatrol. I also use SAS but at the time I did not have it set to run at startup. I never had any problems whatsoever with 7.5, but this new version is absolutely unusable for me.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I'm not saying don't point the finger at AVG, but maybe another finger (o_O) may need pointing. Our set-ups are similar, including the removal of AVG, but some problems persist for me and a small (o_O) handful of others also. The app. that I'm talking about is a popular one so I won't mention it by name (TF) but suffice to say that matter of bloating may still be a problem, perhaps also CPU-spikes, and maybe even memory problems. These matters I'm sure :):) ) are being looked into as I type. I'm sure AVG and others (o_O) are all busy working out the bugs of their new, updated versions. Growing pains I guess... :p

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I had trouble (BSOD during install) with just a plain fresh reformatted XP, no other security apps on it at all, so I think there is something more going on with v8 that needs looking into. 7.5 was always trouble free every time I used it. I will try it again after a few more release updates perhaps...

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

There is a known conflict between AVG8 and the latest Threatfire version.

See here for a temporary fix:

http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51504

5. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

What I miss most in 8.0 is the quick & dirty virus database update just by running avginet.exe (I added a shortcut to the Start menu). So I uninstalled 8.0, went back to 7.5, and am perfectly happy again.

6. Stainton

Stainton Registered Member

I've had problems with the auto-updating on AVG 8.0 AntiVirus and have tried everything so have gone back to 7.5.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

As a program expands and takes over more of the available memory of a machine in order to run its processes, others residing must contract or you will end up with the "deadly embrace". ;)

8. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

AVG 8 Free totally constipates my gaming machine and stalls the other one I use for browsing. Either something on my puters is not compatible with the new AVG or it just doesn't work on them. :oops:

SourMilk out

9. chrispbug

chrispbug Registered Member

I seem to think that AVG perhaps jumped the gun a bit by releasing version 8 a bit earlier than they should have. Don't get me wrong, I like the avg products but they are a few problems that should have been ironed out before release. Saying that does anyone remember the furore when Mercedes Benz released the A Class car - it failed the 'Elk Test'. It would tip over at the slightest provacation. Other items have also been recalled after release because of potential faults as well. Sometimes it's only after a product is released to the general public that problems that maybe should have been sorted pre - release, come to light. So it's not only AVG that maybe got it wrong...

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Part of the problem with releasing a new software version is that adequate testing of the new product is never achieved. You can't possibly expect any software developer to test his/her product against miilions of software product installed combinations. They mainly focus on running the product on a specific testbed system and exclaim "it's working ok here so send it out!". Testing all possible types of systems and program combinations is unachievable. It depends on what the developers consider to be "adequate" testing and its results. :ninja:

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

A while ago I tried AVG 8 on the Vista64 gaming box. Although it contained the largest portion of 64-bit code (more than Avast and much more than Avira), it was the slowest. Therefore I kept using Avast 4.8

After disabling the BHO object AVG Safe search it ran smoothly and very fast. Also the real tim eprotection active icon appears nearly as fast as Avast started turning.

In AVG you can not set to scan files at write only (scanned at startup), files are scanned at open by default. Avast in mt config only scanned at writes. AVG realtime has to scan a lot more than Avast and it does not feel much slower.

Regards

12. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Got fed up of seeing the nag screen to update my AVG 7.5 to AVG 8, so today installed ver 8, what a mistake,-- before it installed I had problems so uninstalled it and gone back to 7.5.
    Happier again.
    Gordon

13. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

the free install command makes it better, without linkscanner start run type it in and installs without it..

c:\avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

do you think Pro offers more then free really since free has AS included... is webshield that effective?

14. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

Well I had 8 on as I had got notice of end of 7.5 at May.

Didn't like the way 8 ran.

Went to PC Tools free AV junk(you think 8 is an issue) PC Tools AV is nada on Vista 32 though described as okay at their site.

Long and short, reformatted.

As PC Tools AV wouldn't come off anyway.... even what their help forum had listed.
    And no safe mode did nada as did not re installling then uninstalling etcetera.

Anyway put AVG 8 back on new load did command line thinghy with custom install and notice poped up to exit and get a kb929547 patch from MS which I did.

Finished the 8 install and now VERY good.
    Even got the email scanner to work.

Even I am happy.
    Still its light on resouces

15. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Light on resources? Is it just me who think it is heavy?! The boot time is much longer than before, and everything goes so much slower.

16. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

I'm pretty fussy, its good here now.
    Even I can't complain so far.

17. maddawgz

yes free version with the safesearch gone runs fine, light for me too just as good as the old version 7.5, running fine here too :D

18. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

It will be interesting to see how all the latest releases the free AV's stack up against each other in the next AV Comparatives. I like lightweight myself, but of course good detection matters too. If AVG 8.0 is even a little better than 7.5 it should do well.

19. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey maddawgz. When you say safesearch gone, are you referring to Linkscanner not being installed?

20. maddawgz

yes no way to stop it with free version except that command , with pro however you dont install webshield and it's gone.

21. PierreF

PierreF Registered Member

Scanning takes a lot time, about 1 hour and 50 minutes. It looks a bit better but you cant see the options when you click on the icons like with AVG 7.5.

22. PierreF

PierreF Registered Member

I disabled the linkscanner, can anyone tell me how to disable the faulty plugin status?
    Update: you can uninstall the linkscanner by the following instructions from AVG:

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

* Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.
    * Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch. One way to achieve this is to:
    o save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
    o open menu Start -> Run
    o type
    c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch
    * The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

The only thing you have to do is rename the first part of the command by copying/insert the name of the AVG file.
    Thank you AVG ! its working good now.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.