AVG 7 Updates??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cochise, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I click on Updates and AVG justs sit there for ages with no message as to there being an Update or not... if I try to cancel, I'm ask if i want to cancel the Update?? if I say yes it still sits there for a while before closing....Whats wrong with it, any ideas?....

Cochise, :cool:

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi Cochise :)
    I wouldn't think there was much wrong. I would just uninstall and then reinstall as that is all that is normally needed

Regards

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I had the same thing happen over and over for the short time I had AVG7 installed. Eventually, it would download after I canceled a couple of times. I finally got fed up and switched to Antivir which, although it has large downloads, works and the downloads don't slow down my computer.

I thought maybe the AVG problem was with my computer or installation. Now, I think it's at their server.

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I've done the uninstall bit acouple of times of late Nick...everything just the same....can't understand what the prob is..it used to D/L updates in a trice....I'm beginning to think your way Chuck... I thought it might be my OS but as you say could well be their Server......Bummer....Good things never seem to get better... :D :D

After about ten minutes it shows there is a zonking great Update but when I say YES! I get ZIP.....Sigh!
    Thanks for the input anyway Guys,

Regards, Cochise, :cool:

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks Ron....Nice to be put out of ones misery.....Damn me!!....I've had the D/L window minimised for the last 11/2 Hours and it's suddenly done the business and Updated....Made me jump.....Contrary little Devil ain't it.. :D :D

There's a lot of unhappy Chappies on that AVG Link Ron....understandable I suppose.....anyway thanks to all....I'm now picking my Dummy up off the floor, whiping off the dust and sticking it back in my mouth......Ahhhhh! that's better.....now where was I........... :D :D (Goes off muttering)...

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

And to think, before you signed on to that new high speed connection, you probably wouldn't even notice. :D

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

:D :D :D Your so right there Ron.....on my old 98se wth Dial up I wouldn't have expected the Update until to-morrow.....and been totally ecstatic at the speed.... :D :D

Trouble with us now is that we are SPOILT......... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Cochise, :cool:

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Ah yes fellow creatures the same with me. I am pretty sure the problem was at Gristsoft AVG end. This morning I had the same problem as described. This evening I tried again and got the update just fine. I seem to recall creature Peaches had an update problem too mentioned in past thread. Server overload sounds likely. This morning I think it would time out and tell me to check my internet connection. This is something I can deal with, but only up to a point. If it becomes regular I will need to move on. After all, for me anyway, it is free.

10. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I Installed avg 7 last night as an on demand scanner. I'm running bitdefender standard as resident. After installing avg, I couldn't get it to update either. Finally after about 10 minutes of hitting the update button...I finally got it to update. There is a thread concerning this matter over at dslreports.com. The problem seems to be on grisofts end..the servers.

I went to update avg this afternoon, and I didn't have any problem. Update went well. :D

11. JMorlan

JMorlan Guest

Until Grisoft gets the problems with its free update server sorted out, here is a work-around.

1. Open your hosts file with notepad
    2. Add the following line:

193.86.103.19 guru.grisoft.com

3. Save

Now you can update normally again. This will allow you to connect to an alternate site for updates which is not overloaded.

12. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

I believe the problem has been fixed. Updating now with absolutely no problems.

13. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Not here it isn't.... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.