AVG 7 Pro Working??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mikel108, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikel108

Mikel108 Guest

My AVG 7 Pro has really been frustrating me lately. It seems since I installed SP2 about seven weeks ago, the antivirus catches almost nothing. If I try the eicar test it catches it. However, I have used online scans (mostly Panda) a few times and it will almost always find 5 to 7 viruses that have to be cleaned. 2 to 3 of these viruses turn out to be javabyte/verifiers, which were always picked up by AVG before. I have redownloaded and installed AVG, with no improvement. I know the program fairly well and have double checked everything. Is anyone else having this problem?? I really want it to work for at least to the end of my subscription. Thanks people, your always so helpful.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If panda is finding malware and AVG isn't I think I would reevaluate the use of your antivirus and make sure that it is giving you the protection you are comfortable with.

bigc

3. Mikel108

Mikel108 Guest

Well I unloaded AVG 7 PRO. I put on Avast 4.5 (free) for now. If I like it I will buy it. I have a old testing computer I use at my other residence that I will have to start testing AV's on.

One note about Avast. It picked up a Worm....W32:Dabber that Online scanners Trend Housecall/Norton/Panda as well as AVG missed. I ran them all today when I noticed that AVG was being inadequate. Now I just have to wait for Avast to get back to me about whether it is a false positive.

Mikel108

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

You can use an online scan like http://virusscan.jotti.dhs.org to verify if it's a false alarm or not. If avast is the only engine detecting something in the file, it's quite likely a FP. And vice versa.

Thanks

5. Mikel108

Mikel108 Guest

From the online scan it comes back negative. Must be a FP(my first one in 5 years).

What I need now is a new antivirus other than AVG 7 Pro. My wife and children are the primary users of this machine, so it must be, of all things, simple to use. Otherwise good luck on any security getting done on it. I need a click and point AV. AVG was great at healing what it found and asking hardly any questions on what to do with anything uncleanable. The Basic interface was just a matter of clicking "Complete Scan". What other AV would equal this, but actually work. I like NOD and KAV, but to complex for them in case of a problem. McAfee has Security center and I won't pay for something that just advertises to me. I tried Panda Titanium and liked the set up for them, but the trial constantly poped up silly messages. If I bought it would these go away?? Other than that it leaves NAV2005 oe maybe I will try that EZ AV. The new EZ ver7 interface looks like they could handle it. What does the average user thing of these programs. Remember I need simplicity, effectiveness and as long as it does not use more than 300MB RAM:) I'm fine

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

F-prot would fit this requirement.

F-Prot

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Agree!

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Why not stay with AVAST? For a free antivirus program, it does an excellent job, better than many pay versions; it ranks quite high as to capabilities in every test and there is a very active forum that offers fast assistance.

As for AVG, I used free 6 for years and it never failed me. I've visited the AVG forum since I was curious about the new AVG 7 and found quite a few threads that don't speak well of what was a good product.

9. mikel108

mikel108 Guest

For a week or so Avast might be great. As for detection and healing, I really do not know that much about it. The forum guys seem great over there. I just think that the layout of the program will discourage my wife from opening it up and using it. I think F-prot like suggested; looks like the right kind of program for them. I want good detection, but it does not have to be 100%. I understand that nothing is perfect. However AVG 7 Pro was constantly missing things.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You can use other skin if current doesn't fit you. Or even use simple skinless interface (new in avast! 4.5). Skins like Lite-On,RejZoR-Sharp and MacLover OS X are easy to use and they look nice and professional. New 4.5 skin is also very simple to use. There should be also no problem using On-Access panel.

11. mikel108

mikel108 Guest

Hi Chuck57,
    I went to the Forums AVG now has. I looked at a few and their are a few complaints. I would try to help them, but I am not allowed to. Isn't that backwards. You have to download and install AVG 7 Free, in order to use a forum. However paid users are excluded. Wouldn't you want user's who have been using the product for the last year helping out new user's, and maybe telling them that to upgrade to a paid version is worth it. Or maybe they don't want people who have used it for a while to explain about the program shortcomings!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.