AVG 7 Free Edition Beta Available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TAP, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I run AVG Pro 7 and it certainly looks like the new Beta free is the same! I am not sure about this new free Beta but know the Pro I have would not detect Thunderbird as an e-mail client. There are configurations on line for some unsupported clients Personal Email Scanner if the wizard does not set up one for you.

I had to manually configure Outlook 2003 but it is not difficult once you do the first account. Even if you don't have the PE scanner running AVG will still detect a virus in your mail but only after arriving in your inbox. My mail goes through 127.0.0.1 before reaching my mail box.

The greyed out icon mentioned in one of the posts could be the fact that the PE scanner is not yet configured (hover the mouse and see if this is what it indicates)

I installed AVG Pro on a Windows 98se computer with Outlook 2000 this week and the PE was detected on installation.

I have configured AVG for several e-mail clients with and without the wizard but it can be done fairly easily. I think I could do it with my eyes closed now :rolleyes: I am running XP Pro SP2 with AVG Pro 7.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

it scans my mail in thunderbird, it took minimal config.

bigc

3. minacross

minacross Registered Member

how did you configure TB? :rolleyes:

4. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Hi,

I'd like to recommend you to download AVG E-mail Scanner (Installation Guide) this manual will tell you how to do that. Grisoft is good at documentation.

AVG E-mail Scanner (Installation Guide)

AVG Users' Guide page

Hope this helps.

5. bigc73542

Properties in e-mail

Attached Files:

6. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I gotta say this... I've been using AVG 7 beta free for a few days now and I love it... it's excellent and has not given me any trouble so far.

I much prefer it to Avast... that's going soon now... that flippin revolving a in the icon drives me nuts, and I don't see why I should have to download an extra program to get rid of it.

So for me... AVG 7... a winner for a free anti-virus solution.

Oh yes... and the updates are excellent and very fast... beautiful job.

7. bigc73542

then go to the properties

Attached Files:

8. bigc73542

then the servers tab and then

Attached Files:

9. bigc73542

and then enter your pop3 servers mail addy.

Attached Files:

10. Hi all, it seems very good but it still doesn't support outlook express 6, I'm going to wait until it does that.

11. minacross

minacross Registered Member

many thanx bigc :)

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I tried it yesterday and did not like that it deleted a "pet" virus of mine on my desktop without asking first. (I have it on my other machine so it is no big deal).
    I uninstalled it because I don't want any AV where I can't do at least some basic configuration. I would expect, even with a free av, to be able to configure it to always ask before deleting or doing anything when it finds a virus.

It fails all four AVTester version 3 tests.

13. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Hi,

No, AVG 7 Free Edition Beta can offer you more than basic configurations, to do what you want in its basic interface, go to Tests menu > Complete test Settings or Test target settings or Shell Extension (right-click scanning) in AVG Free Edition Control Center and then unchecked (pic 1) at Automatically heal infected file as in the pic enclosed below. After you have done these when AVG 7 Free Edition Beta finishes an on-demand scan it will come up with scan report so there you will be able to do a lot of options with infected files as in pic 2.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to that tester. When it is not real-live viruses so the detection can considered to be a false positive. It has no meaning in real-world ability of an anti-virus.

Attached Files:

• 3.gif
      3.gif
      File size:
      34.2 KB
      Views:
  14. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Have been using this Beta for a week or two now and it works really well.

The updates are fast and fully automatic... I like that a lot.

One question though, about boot up.

When turning computer on... it goes into normal boot sequence, but then AVG is obviously doing a scan in this time because the computer seems to be frozen for maybe 30 seconds or so, and then everything jumps into life again... ZA appears in the system tray along with AVG control center. I can then operate the computer as normal without the mouse being almost unresponsive as it was in the boot/AVG scan period.

I have gone into the system test settings and removed the boot/mbr/registry items in there... but I still get this delay during boot up.

Is this a known effect that AVG7 has and is it therefore not possible to stop it from doing these boot scans.

I only really need the program for real time monitoring and as an on demand scanner so I don't need scans at boot up.

Is there a way to stop this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.