AVG 7.5 Security Suite Beta testing

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Creekside Rogue, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creekside Rogue

Creekside Rogue Registered Member

Hey guys:

Has anybody tried out the new Grisoft AVG 7.5 Security Suite which includes AVG Antivirus, Antispyware, FireWall, and Antispam? Especially curious as to how the the firewall works. If no one has any input, I think I'll try this beta and pass along any observations noted in the process.

Thanks,

Creekside Rogue

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Please re-check the conditions of ~snipped, link to beta page removed,.....beta page removed from website~
    This warning (condition) as now been removed from the AVG Beta website.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  3. Creekside Rogue

Creekside Rogue Registered Member

Thanks Stem. I had not noted that info. I guess I'll keep those observations to myself then.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If there are any other members who have downloaded and installed the AVG beta, Then you could certainly discuss this with them via PM.

5. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

I just installed this Beta, and darned if I can find the 'Firewall'. I've opened about 8 programs, and 'No-prompts' whatsoever.

Maybe I installed the wrong thing, not sure.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060927 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006092704 [cairo]

EDIT: Since the Beta has gone 'Public', I suspect any NDA's are now moot:

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/35776/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

EDIT 2: Firewall now installed, apparently when I cut/pasted the 'key' part of the end was clipped. Re-installed and all up and running, let the testing begin. So far, seems pretty smooth.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006
  6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just installed the beta internet security suite minus the antispam component. I'm very impressed with this release, it has that familiar avg interface that i've become accustomed to over the years. So far its been running great with no problems. I like the fact that its all been put into one nice package that doesn't bog my system down. It feels very light and hasn't noticeably affected my systems performance unlike other suites which seem to suck the life from my computer.

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Does the firewall now use any sort of md5 authentication or similar for applications?.Version 7.1 did not and basically wouldnt alert you to any change or modification of the application.
    elllison

8. ellison64

Im getting "dither" when moving the slide bar (on right of pic) up and down.It only happens to the right hand side component boxes (see licence box).I have a lowish spec 98se pc however i dont get this with version 7.1 or any other programe that i run.
    Anyone else getting this?
    tia
    ellison

Attached Files:

9. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

@ellison64,
    No, I see nothing wrong when scrolling, other than its a bit slowish, but I see no distortion (dithering) of the module box.

As for the question about md5, I am not experienced enough but if md5 tracks application changes, I'm going to say at this point 'No', as when I updated Firefox this morning I did NOT see any alerts about the application changing like I've seen with almost every other Firewall I've tested. Could be, I've not found an option that needs to be on. I do gets prompts when a 'new' application that the firewall has not seen before tries to access the net.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060928 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006092804 [cairo]

10. ellison64

Thanks for the headsup.Ive run just avg with no other programe running with the same result.I guess the gui colours or design just doesnt like my lowly 98.i had similar problem with antivir 7 gui which seemed to take an age to open compared with version6 gui.Ive sent email to beta support anyway and they seem responsive enough to ask for the pic and my system details so heres hoping.I noticed in the about section that avg mentions md5 in version 7.5 so assumed it may be using it in the firewall now.
    ellison

11. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

I sure can't find anything about the Firewall flagging 'changed programs'. Anyone else testing this? have an idea ?

Sure wish they have a more proactive Beta-forum somewhere.

12. ellison64

I have a feeling little has changed in the firewall from 7.1 apart from "Automatic profile switching according to the currently used type of network connection" ,which is stated at the webpage.Whether md5 authentication or similar is deemed important in an application firewall is matter of opinion i guess.I prefer it ,and when i had 7.1 firewall enabled i used SSM for that particular purpose.It is for all intents and purposes a very basic application firewall,that is simple to setup use and forget.
    ellison

13. farmerlee

The v7.5 firewall is as basic as they come, it keeps the baddies out and gives you control over whats goes out. Simple, light and easy to use.

14. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Well, I've given up on this one. The firewall just does not 'feel-right'. Also, now that I've removed this, my Outlook is messed up, can't find personal folders.
    Grrrrrrrr...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060928 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006092804 [cairo]

15. ellison64

Could someone try a complete scan (you can stop the scan after a minute as system areas should be scanned first) with "scan system areas before the test starts" option enabled?.Ive noticed that 7.5 beta doesnt scan these even when its ticked on my machine.AVG 7.1 does.
    ellison

16. farmerlee

Yeah i just had a look, i set it to check system areas before scanning and it doesn't appear to actually do it. It may be a good idea to report this back to grisoft and see what they say.

17. ellison64

Yes i have submitted it to grisoft...just wanted to be sure it wasnt a unique thing to my pc.
    ellison

18. ellison64

@ farmerlee.........

As a 98 user im aware that the antispyware plugin will not work on access in this OS.Only ondemand will be available for that particular plugin within the suite.However isnt the option "scan potentially unwanted programmes" in resident shield option supposed to cover ad/spyware detection anyway?.Im just trying to get my head around the diferences between the plugin and that resident shield option?Any ideas as to what the diff is?
    tia
    ellison

19. farmerlee

Yeah i'm not 100% sure how it will work on 98. I'd say the 'Scan potentially unwanted programs' option will cover certain types of malware like it does in other antivirus programs. You will still be at risk from other kinds of malware without the realtime spyware protection. If you are considering getting avg then you'd probably have to look at just getting the av+firewall and combine it with a dedicated antispyware program that will work on 98.

20. ellison64

I allready have a licence for avg firewall edition (got it when antivir became too much trouble than the worth of it) ,though i dont have the firewall module installed.I guessed the antispyware wouldnt work a while ago as ewido doesnt work on 98 either.I was just curious as to whether ewidos defenitions will be part of the resident shield too ...i.e scan potentially unwanted programes

"Check the Scan Potentially Unwanted Programs - select this if you want the Resident Shield to test all potentially unwanted programs (such as spyware, adware etc.)"

or just part of the antispyware module....or in other words two seperate defenitions.?
    Il email grisoft to clarify too ,as its a little confusing (to me anyway)
    ellison

21. farmerlee

I'd say ewidos definitions will be soley for the antispyware component, avg's antivirus definitions will probably cover the potentially unwanted programs. I'm no expert so you'd probably have to contact grisoft customer support if you want the full story.
    One thing i am annoyed about is i cannot upgrade my avg+firewall license to the security suite license so i can have the integrated spyware component. That sux.

22. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Has AVG Firewall an HIPS/NIPS? Could you block an application from acting as server?

Mike

23. farmerlee

It only has allow/deny options. But you could probably configure an applications access rules to allow or deny it from acting like a server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.