avg 7.5 internet suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hello,

is it possible to stop it scanning for tracking cookies, or to enable the software to just delete them automatically, ive tried looking through the settings but cant find it (if its there....)

any help? :rolleyes:

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Same problem here, for the time being, I have put the cookies folder on the Exclusions list for scanning. You find that in Resident Shield, Exclusions!
    I also hope someone can tell us more and otherwise I'll mail AVG tomorrow.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hi big apple,

have you notice that when you right click a downloaded item on your desktop and click "scan with avg" it doesnt just scan that file, it scans about 300 files first, how do you stop it doing this? do you know?

as when it does this, it also finds these blasted tracking cookies o_O

4. Big Apple

I think you have to disable 'scanning system areas first' before doing an on-demand scan. You can configure this within the Tests......just take a peak there. And indeed, after scanning on-demand, it finds the tracking cookies. It's a bit hazy indeed. I guess a question to the support department wouldn't be bad idea.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it is disabled by default, definatly a question to post to avg i think :cool:

6. Big Apple

Just mailed Avg support and as soon as I get an answer, I'll post it here.

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hello C.S.J:) I dont have AVG Internet Suite, but I do have AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and in the shield settings there is an option to remove tracking cookies automatically, So look in the spyware section of the Internet suite, Go to Shield settings and see if you can enable it there.;)

8. Big Apple

The configuration options are totally different in the internet suite and not even half of the options in the seperate Anti Spyare program.
    I really wonder if the suite contains the full module of Ewido!!!!!

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no idea but the options for tracking cookies just isnt there

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Avg anti spyware(ewido) is not compataible with w98 ,yet the internet security suite is.Maybe the ad/spyware module is actually AVG anti malware and not the anti spyware module?
    ellison

11. ellison64

Click "test centre" tab ,and if test manager is not showing click service>program settings>customise and add test manager so that it shows.You can then highlight each test setting and edit them.
    Also edit the shell extension module
    ellison

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  12. Big Apple

Think you're right! In that case, it would be better to use AVG Antivirus and AVG Anti Spyware as seperate programs along with a seperate firewall, instead of installing the Internet Security Suite.....o_Oo_O?

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

according to avg its the spyware integrated

14. Big Apple

Well, if that's the case, how come there are hardly any configuration options? I thinks that's a bad case.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think they have integrated it ... as a click one button, does it all, set it and forget it kinda thing.

whereas, i will ... and hope others will, be emailing avg asking them to add more options and especially fix the tracking cookies thing. :rolleyes:

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG Internet Security Suite and AVG Anti-Malware indeed do not have an option for enabling or disabling detection of tracking cookies. This is because the entire AVG AntiSpyware program is not integrated into AVG Suite, but rather just the ewido engine and signatures are included.

Definitely should be reported to AVG! However, for the time being, a workaround for the on-access scanner would be to just let it scan infectable files and not all files. With these settings, tracking cookies are not detected by the on-access monitor.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

The reasons why scan doesn't delete infections automatically are following:
    - potentially unwanted program is found. It's possible, that you want to use this program, so the scan doesn't delete it automatically and you can create exceptions
    - virus in the archive is found. There is a virus in the archive on your computer and the archive also includes virus free files, so scan cannot delete it automatically.

To remove these infections, please do the following:

1/ open AVG Antivirus Test Center (Start menu -> Programs -> AVG 7.5 -> AVG Anti-Virus for Windows)

2/ press F6 key, test results will appear

3/ please double click the latest performed test (by date) and you will get the full list of detected viruses

4/ now, please switch to the 'Virus results' tab and select all infections (you can do it by CTRL + A key combination). Right-click on the selected viruses and select "Move the file to Virus Vault" option from the context menu. If you are asked about restart, please confirm it by 'Yes' button

5/ If you have restarted computer, please open the test result again. Then, please switch to the 'Spyware results' tab and select all infections (you can do it by CTRL + A key combination). Right-click on the selected spyware and select "Move the file to Virus Vault" option from the context menu. If you are asked about restart, please confirm it by 'Yes' button.

After these steps, please restart your computer and run Complete test to be sure, that your computer is virus free.

If Complete test found any viruses again, please send us the test result of this test:

Please run AVG program (basic or advanced interface) and choose Test Results from Results menu (you can also use F6 key to get the same). Now you can see the list of finished tests, double click the latest one (by date) and you will get the full list of detected viruses (if there were any), including the path, the name and status of infected object. When it is opened, go back to main AVG program screen -> Program menu -> Export... item (or you can user Ctrl+S shortcut to get Save as... option). Please send this created file for further analysis.

Thank you for cooperation.

Best regards,

David Rohlik
    AVG Technical Support

------------------------------------------------------

hmm, i still think they should be changing the program to add more options that are included in the avg antispyware, such as those blasted tracking cookies, and i know you can select 'scan infectable files' instead of all files, but i dont feel like lowering my security to compensate this tracking cookie problem. o_O

18. Big Apple

At least you got a reply, I still didn't! But I think it's crazy to go through all that in order to get rid of something detected. Plus the fact, that the standalone AVG Anti Spyware is completely configurable and I really don't understand why the integration has been done without all these options! Reason for me not to use this AVG Internet Suite for the time being!

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i do agree,

the antispyware in the suite should have the options that the stand-a-alone has, people are paying for it really with suite.

20. ellison64

There is an easier way to move the cookies to the virus vault,than the AVG email suggests....and that is to set whatever scan is being used to prompt user for what action to take.That brings up the virus detection dialouge which allows you to move the cookie to the vault immediatly.Of course this wont help if you wanted a fully automatic solution.
    ellison

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, its called "prompt the user" or something like that, but its a pain if there are 30 tracking cookies,

boiing, move to vault ... boiing, move to vault x30

avg definatly need to fix this issue,without question :doubt:

22. Big Apple

This is the mail I received:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry but because of the fact that the cookies aren´t kind of malware, there isn´t in AVG on presence any automated action for them to be set.

The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and possibly prepare customized Web pages for them. When you enter a Web site using cookies, you may be asked to fill out a form providing such information as your name and interests. This information is packaged into a cookie and sent to your Web browser which stores it for later use. The next time you go to the same Web site, your browser will send the cookie to the Web server. The server can use this information to present you with custom Web pages. So, for example, instead of seeing just a generic welcome page you might see a welcome page with your name on it.

Please feel free to contact our Technical Support again if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Rostislav Ratkovsky
    AVG Technical Support

Weird statements, as the standalone Anti-Spyware does deal just great with the tracking cookies.

23. ellison64

Gotta be honest ,i personally dont think its that big a deal over cookies as theres ,so many ways to remove them or not have them in the first place through your browser or common history cleaners like CC.I do however agree that some semblance of an interface with at least a few more options such as dedicated on demand spyware scans etc would be an improvement.I think in trying to take a simplistic approach for all levels of home user ,they have overdone its simplicity a little.
    ellison

P.S Ive also just emailed them regarding the lack of options etc.The more that make them aware the better ,and maybe they will improve it in update builds.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  24. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

As far as I'm informed... There will be an update to the program to turn off this cookie detection :)

25. ellison64

Hello..
    I dont think its a matter of detection thats the problem(some people like to know these things)....its the means (or lack of means) to deal with them and such like ,that is (imo) the problem.I cant understand why there isnt even a dedicated "test" in the security suite that just uses the antispyware engine rather than the whole antivirus+spyware engine which seems to be the only choice at present,and give the user dedicated options to deal with it..Id like to scan specifically for spyware and adware and have choices on how to deal with it or exclude it.At present it is too much integrated with the AV engine too.The anti spyware plugin in outpost has more functionality than AVGS ,as has lots of freeware too......which is a shame.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.