AVG 7.5 Firewall vs Zone Alarm Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by duke1959, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I have AVG 7.5 ISS installed and am truly satisfied. I was however just wondering, other than the troubles ZA has had, if anyone thinks the AVG Firewall is better than the free version of ZA Firewall.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi duke1959,
    I admit that I did not do much testing with the AVG firewall. I did post here to show the advanced rules ability of AVG.
    Given the choice of AVG or ZA firewall, I personally at this point would choose AVG.

3. duke1959

Hey Stem, thanks for your reply. Just having fun starting a thread here and there, but promise I won't be downloading and trying any more AV or AS programs. LOL

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I know leaktests shouldn't be the 'Only' factor in choosing a firewall, but man, did the AVG firewall perform poorly. And if outbound protection has importance, i can't see it's recommendation at all. Do you see differently that what the tests concluded?.

Thanks.

5. duke1959

From what I understand about Leak Tests, is that it is more important to protect ourselves while surfing and downloading things to prevent problems, than what a Firewall will do for us in that area. Obviously if we allow something in or out when alerted, than what can the Firewall really do for us. AVG does at least show what things are going out on my PC, and receives a Stealth Rating on Shields UP. I loved Comodo Firewall, but for my particular use it was overkill. I still wonder though if AVG is harder for a Hacker to get in than ZA Free is, and if it can protect itself against termination like I think ZA Free does.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

For the average user the avg firewall is much easier to use imo as it can scan your computer and preset internet access for a lot of common programs. In regards to security i'd say they are pretty much the same so you may as well use the built in avg firewall.

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I was following the thread title, and was simply making a personal choice between the 2 firewalls named.

8. duke1959

Just went back to using the full AVG Internet security Suite, and no longer have ZA Free installed. It ran well and I liked it, but I believe when someone like Stem tells me what his opinion is, I should heed it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.