AVG 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jack76, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

official direct avg offline and online links for those who are looking:

offline installers:

Code:
    free:
    http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download-file-x86-afh
    http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download-file-x64-afh

anti virus:
    http://www.avg.com/eu-en/download-file-x86-triavc
    http://www.avg.com/eu-en/download-file-x64-triavc

internet security:
    http://www.avg.com/eu-en/download-file-x86-triisc
    http://www.avg.com/eu-en/download-file-x64-triisc
    online installers:

Code:
    free:
    http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download-file-dm-afh

anti virus:
    http://www.avg.com/eu-en/download-file-dm-triavc

internet security:
    http://www.avg.com/eu-en/download-file-dm-triisc

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. zfactor

to add im running this now and im personally not fond of the gui BUT it is better than the previous version by a mile. but overall i dont see to many changes myself. it still did only average for me in my testing but it is very light on the system dare i say even possibly lighter than eset ess. and for sure the 2012 version. i like it i dont like however you have to let it put a file in the virus vault before you can restore it if its a false positive you cant just do you during the normal scan. one of the reasons i hate the newer nortons but at least i can easily restore files juts have to go to the virus vault. overall not bad and a really good free av.

3. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

In case anyone was wondering, AVG PC Tuneup 2013 is now a rebranded TuneUp Utilities 2012, rather than the previously rebranded Auslogics Boostspeed.

4. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I had not installed it yet, I was reading what it said on their site but I just installed it on a test machine and you are right- if you look carefully it gives you a choice whether to go pro or not.

I started it as a reg install but it did not give you the option to remove the tool bar so I stopped the install and restarted it in "Custom" That gave you the option to remove it. Actually I left it in only because I want to see how good or bad the tool bar is now. Prior AVG's it was horrible, slowed the browser down to a crawl, but i am told it has gotten better so i figured worse, I could do a repair and remove it.

I am actually a distributer of AVG but I have not sold it in about 2 years because I do not like how it has evolved since then. Years past I used no other because I really liked it But again I am told this 2013 is suppose to be easier to use and less bloated with hopefully no crashes.

So far on the free one, (I will trial the Pro on another machine tomorrow) seems pretty good. Only using 15% CPU and it is in the middle of doing a full scan.
    Userphase is much better than the old one because it is easier for the common user to understand.
    I need to test it for a few weeks and see how it does. Maybe it will convert me back to actually selling it again.. time will tell.
    robin

5. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

And in case anyone is wondering why is because AVG bought TuneUp software a year ago:

On August 19, 2011, AVG Technologies GER GmbH, or AVG Technologies Germany, our wholly owned subsidiary, acquired 100% of the share capital of TuneUp Software GmbH, or TuneUp, a German based provider of intelligent software tools that enable users to optimize use of their operating systems and programs. Previously, on August 17, 2011, AVG Technologies CY Limited (formerly our wholly owned subsidiary, which has since merged into our wholly owned subsidiary AVG Netherlands B.V.), or AVG Technologies CY, entered into an asset purchase agreement pursuant to which it acquired certain assets of TuneUp. The foregoing transactions are referred to below as the Acquisition.

The total purchase price was approximately $45.0 million and included cash consideration of €23.9 million ($34.4 million), and contingent cash consideration of up to €10.0 million ($14.4 million), which we have estimated to have a fair value of €7.4 million ($10.6 million), which is contingent on TuneUp meeting certain EBITDA and revenue targets for the full year 2011 generated by TuneUp. We incurred acquisition-related transaction costs of $1.8 million, which will be recorded in general and administrative expenses subsequent to the Acquisition.

As part of the Acquisition and apart from the contingent cash consideration above, the former owners of TuneUp will receive shares of AVG with a total value of €11.5 million ($16.5 million), subject to their continued employment by TuneUp and other vesting conditions. We determined that this contingent equity component constitutes compensation for services and accordingly the value of the contingent equity component is not included as part of the purchase price for purposes of U.S. GAAP. We will recognize the expense relating to these shares over a four-year vesting period.

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/ipos/filing.ashx?filingid=7965942

6. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

well so far it crashed ie9
    I am assuming it is the tool bar- how come they cannot figure out how to do this toolbar right?

the other thing is when it does a scan it doesn't pop up like Avast does in the right bottom corner , or when MSE does a scan it turns, this doesn't even change color, this is not good because if it is doing a scan and you have no idea and shut down the computer- that could lead to a good crash
    I looked all over the user configurations and cannot find anything to check to see it scan
    robin

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Is the file rep feature in the free version? I'm kind of bummed out they didn't include the online shield, which most of their free competitors seems to offer.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the offline installer links - save times if I can carry it around on a flash drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  9. zfactor

no problem yeah i hate online links actually most of the time if there is no offline installer i dont use it even things like photoshop ill use the online downloader and download what i need then restore a backup to before installing the stupid downloaders. still testing and imo its not all bad. still not at all a die hard avg fan myself but internet security 2013 is pretty decent. overall i am finding it a bit better than average at detection but for sure not as good as some others that are known for stellar detection. i do NOT install the toolbar as i never install toolbars i HATE them all of them. at first i was so happy to see no extra icons in the gui after install. then after the first update bam all the "extras" there again even if you dont want or use them. i so hoped they would have taken the feedback from so many people and remove those extra icons or at least had a check box to maybe hide unused icons or something silimar.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

There is an initial popup in bottom right hand corner telling you that scan has started though that disappears after a few seconds.The tray icon also displays a triangle when scanning.Not hugely noticeable though ,i would agree.

11. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Well had problem with online installer, its reporting some driver installation failure...:)

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I must say i quite like the new AVG interface. I don't like the whole Metro bandwagon nonsense but it's a nice change imo.

13. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I can't find the AVG Remover tool on the AVG website anywhere. :eek: Does anyone know a download link to the latest AVG Remover for the new 2013 products?

14. robinb9

Ok I uninstalled it, yea right it, it asks you if you want to keep the toolbar, huh huh that is why I am Uninstalling it
    So I of course clicked no, uninstalled then reinstalled without the toolbar
    Now ie9 does not crash nor Firefox 15
    AVG since they started putting the toolbar into its program has had trouble with the toolbar. You would think after 6 upgrades they would finally get it right. The biggest problem is THEY DO NOT LISTEN TO THEIR BETA TESTERS, like myself.
    Yes it tells you it is starting a scan but if you happen to not be in front of the computer, there is no way to know it is doing one. It used to move around and was quote obvious. Now it moves on and off and is very light and with this problem if it is in the middle of a scan, say bu bye to the system if you go to shut the computer down
    It took on a whole computer scan of a 160 gig had 2 1/2 hrs to scan. Prior to it i had mse on this test machine and a whole scan tool about an hour
    So far I am not impressed with it except the new look. That is a lot easier to read and figure out for the average user except the virus vault. It only shows up inOptions at the top. Why could they not make a box on the main page for it
    In older versions if it was a FP you had an option to exclude it when it finished scanning. Now there is only delete or restore. You have to go into the settings to exclude it
    I am still playing with it. I want to see if it does the scheduled scan and how it runs on a daily basis
    But right now I am not totally impresses with it
    Robin

15. robinb9

http://www.avg.com/tools#tba2

Click on the installation tab
    Robin

16. DBone

DBone Registered Member

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

18. zfactor

that will work but normally will end up coming back during the next program update. similar thing works with roboscan the file gets replaced. has anyone done a update after doing this?

my biggest question is how they improved detection in this compared to last year

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  19. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

According to the posts it looks like a failed release, is it a stable version? Did anyone from here participated in it's BETA?

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The ad banner isn't that annoying here for a change since it looks similar to the interface itself.

21. carat

carat Guest

Does it work like Norton Insight? :)

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Why "failed"?

And by the way nice sig...

23. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

25. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

He's very active at MalwareTips.com and started to make YouTube reviews about one month ago.
    Seems to be unbiased.

Anyway, there will be more tests soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.