AVG 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jack76, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack76

jack76 Registered Member

2. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

3. jack76

jack76 Registered Member

But not on store.v3.co.uk ;)

4. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

I know. It's a sore subject. We have the box images, but not the builds. Officially it's not launched by AVG until tomorrow (it's a Download.com exclusive for now).

It will take ages to update all the products across all the stores. Also, we still don't know what's happening with AVG PC Tuneup/Tuneup Utilities 2013, since AVG bought TuneUp last year. I'll guess we'll know tomorrow as Download.com haven't updated/featured AVG PC Tuneup.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Cool. I hope they've made some bigger improvemenets to the Identity Protection module...

6. gery

gery Registered Member

will it be possible to update over the existing version?

7. jack76

jack76 Registered Member

Don´t know about improvements in Identity protection module.New features are a file reputation service.

8. jack76

jack76 Registered Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm seeing stub installers. Are there full installers available for download at the moment?

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, AVG isn't shy :D I see they've gotten on board with the Metro tile look (whatever :rolleyes: ) I'll try to install the 2013 FREE in a VM and see how it goes.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Weird. If i pick Express install i can click Next button. As soon as i pick Custom install, Next button gets greyed out and i can't continue with installation without stupid toolbar. Ugh!?

13. gery

gery Registered Member

i had AVG Premium and downloaded the 4 meg online installer and let it install itself . I did run ok and it is still running/ I have a feeling that beta was lighter
    o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

14. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Just upgraded from AVGIS2012 -> AVGIS2013.

I have had no problems with the installer from download.com. It installed fine and works fine. I have noticed the GUI opens slightly faster and the "Advanced" settings have been changed about so they are more user friendly with the catagories in the correct place. I so far like the new version and having 2 years left on my subscription it will stay on here for a long while. :thumb:

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The trick is to uncheck the toolbar and search options while Express is selected, and then switch to the Custom option.

Edit: I just installed the free version in a VM and the Custom option allowed me to uncheck the search and toolbar. They must have fixed the installer.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have to say I like the new AVG 2013 Free AV more than I expected. The black UI is attractive, the scanning seems fast and it didn't install the tune-up utility automatically. I didn't use the 2012 version much so I'm not sure how it compares. I did notice that 2013 has a self-protection option which is on by default. It would have been nice if they had updated the tray icon as well, but obviously not important.

I'm looking forward to the professional reviews.

17. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

+1.

The 2013 version seems to be a great step ahead. The interface is great even if I hate the Metro-ish stuff. Very low on resources too. Waiting for detection tests and so...

18. Taliscicero

AVG 2012 had self protection as well. AVG has not changed their tray icon ever as its part of their logo that people recognise. I don't know why people underestimate AVG as its always worked fine for me and blocked every threat that i have ever come across, "RedKit & BlackHole" recently. I think AVG it a little underestimated and to be honest its a good product and thats why im always buying it. :)

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I saw many instances in the past where AVG was disabled by malware. There were also occasions where it would detect threats and be unable to remove them. I don't know the statistics and how it compares with other products, but that's why I've not thought very highly of it. Hopefully the self-protection and removal capability are getting better.

Regarding the tray icon I understand that everyone recognizes the four color box, however they did update it a few years ago. I like the way Symantec tweaks the tray icon of the Norton product line each year while still keeping it recognizable, but like I said it's not important.

20. Taliscicero

AVG has self protection issues, same as other AV's, if malware wants to disable a product it will. If your computer is clean, updated and you set the settings correctly it should not be a problem, much like with other AV software. Many of AVG's problems comes from not having “scan all files“ enabled by default, switch that on and its much better as malware drop blank files which can turn off the av that way. I have never had a problem though.

21. robinb

robinb Registered Member

did you notice if you install the free version it is actually a trial of the paid version and it has an expiration date?
    to make it go back to free you have to do this:

To continue using AVG Free:
    1. Go to Start -> (Settings) -> Control Panel.
    2. Open (Programs) -> Programs and Features, or Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Select AVG 2013 in the list of programs.
    4. Click the Change or Change/Remove button.
    5. At the option Give me free protection, click Downgrade.
    6. Follow the installation wizard to replace your trial version of AVG with AVG Free.
    7. Restart your computer to complete the procedure if requested

why can't it just popup and ask you if you want to purchase it or just go back to a free version.
    this is interesting because most regular users will not know how to make it free, and will either be forced to pay for it or uninstall it. Which I think is bad marketing because if a person wants the free one and evenutally might switch over to the paid- he might think differently because he is being cohurst into doing something he does not want to do right now.
    robin

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

As I said I don't know the statistics of how other products compare in terms of self-protection. My experience with AVG is anecdotal. I would add that I've also seen MSE disabled by malware quite a few times, but that's also anecdotal. It is meaningless to say "if malware wants to disable a product it will". What I want to know is how resistant an AV is to being disabled because they are not all created equal - that can only be determined through professional testing.

An AV's default settings are important because a great many people will not attempt to change those settings - that's why labs test AVs with default settings. You and I can go through advanced settings and make adjustments - that helps us but it's not the point. If AVG's default settings are non-optimal that needs to be addressed.

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I installed the free version and did not wind up with a trial. It seems there are multiple installers, and it's necessary to watch and choose carefully. I agree it's bad PR to obscure the choice in an attempt to push the "for pay" products.

24. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

What are the main changes in the free version from the 2012 version? I want to mention significant ones on my site.

25. carat

carat Guest

Metro UI without a dozen of inactive apps :) It's really nice now. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.