AVG 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

doesnt work as soon as it does a program update it adds them back and if you click the update button from the gui it also will add them back which sucks since that would have been a great fix to the gui i actually dont mind their overall gui but i hate the extra buttons for stuff ill never use..

also who uses the linkscanner? does it have to be installed to scan web traffic? i hate all the extra junk these newer suites keep adding in... any way for avg to scan web traffic without the linkscanner and toolbars etc..o_O

and identity protection is that kind of like their version of a hips sort of.. or like a behaviour blocker? and do you all use it or no? i have a number of people who use avg that i know and a couple asked me to set it up for them so im curious to if they they really need the linkscanner and or the identity thing.. im not a normal avg user though i own a couple lic's i have not used it on my personal systems in a while.

thanks

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I havent been able to check if it will add them back after a program update,as its already up to date on my system (though i guessed that it may).However clicking update from the gui ,getting sigs updates does not revert it back on my system.In My apps its showing i have no apps installed.I would add that when i installed avg2012IS,i only installed the av and the firewall.I did not install the gadgets or linkscanner or email scanner.
    EDIT................
    Ive also removed the pctuneup folder ,though i cant remember if it was in the AWACS folder or seperate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. zfactor

what parts of the suite does everyone install just being curious as i said a few people i know use and love the avg suite and one thing i notice every part of avg uses a separate procc. and in trying to cut those down im wondering what you all feel are the imperative parts of the avg suite to install. i dont use it much and want to be sure he is protected but he wants me to remove anything i feel he may not really need.

i have to admit the newest version feels VERY light on the system regardless of all the procc's it runs very well and the web pages load almost as if nothing is installed. im impressedi dont think its maybe the best at detection yet but its improved overall very much.

edit one more question is there a way to stop it from auto scanning a usb stick when its first plugged in? i keep a usb stick with certain test files on it and i hate that with avg every time i plug it in it will scan it automatically... with eset and bitdefender etc i can turn that off.. ive searched the settings and unless i missed it i didnt see a setting for it

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  4. ellison64

Turn usb scan off under tools> advanced settings>scans>removable device scan.I found the linkscanner will crash firefox very often for me so ive left it out.and dont feel i really need it anyway.Im quite liking just the av and firewall ,antirootkit ,and system tools.That all ive installed.I am going to install the email module later and see if i can get it to work.I use spamihilator with my mail client using ssl and never could get avg mail scanner to work ,but ive found a help page that may allow me to do it.I still dont have the useless icons ,so im waiting for a program update to see if that reinstalls them and ill try to look for a way to block it if it does.

5. zfactor

icons keep coming back for me, not sure why but i keep getting a update saying it added program components and then i see all the icons again. not sure if there is a way to block them from being added back, and not sure why its doesnt happen for you maybe delete the contents of the folder then make it a read only

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  6. ellison64

I have removed the folder completely from avg2012 folder. Are you saying the folder is being recreated too?

7. zfactor

yes it has...

8. ellison64

Hmmm strange..im not sure why that happens.What version of avg are you using? im testing internet security 2012.Perhaps it depends on the version ,though im not sure why that would make a difference.Mine is still fine.

9. zfactor

same avg is 2012 newest version

10. zfactor

new big update today put all the icons back...and some i didnt have before ...

11. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

12. ellison64

Confirmed.Ive just deleted the contents of awacs folder again ,so the avg gui is clean again.Normal sig updates doesnt put them back for me ,only program updates it seems.Looking through registry at awacs entries ,it looks like the installer itself in the avg update is recreating the folder and its contents.Im going to alter security policy on the awacs folder for system and see if that does anything on next program update.The program updates dont come that often so for now im happy just deleting the awacs folder rather than look at that messy gui.

13. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

14. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I still prefer avast.
    AVG has always been bloated out with numerous processes running and it looks as if this hasnt changed.
    There is no excuse for this bloating.
    Avast has several shields but only two processes running and is very light.
    AVG is crap in my honest opinion.:argh: :argh:

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Multiple processes do not equal bloat. I do agree, it would be nice to see AVG consolidate some of them. I have used both the programs, and I find them very similar in terms of memory use, cpu time, and disk i/o.

17. ellison64

Im using AVG IS right at this minute ,and i can assure you its very light running on my system.Id say its probably lighter than avast is on this system.Im also pleasntly suprised that its detection is rather good these days too.It did go wayward at one point as did norton however the 2012 versions are excellent imo.

18. carat

carat Guest

Maybe it's time to upgrade your hardware ... :D

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

i may have been harsh with my judgement of AVG.
    It has been a couple of years since i used it and maybe it has improved now.
    Which firewalls run well with it?:argh:

21. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Re System impact, AVG 2012 seems pretty comparable with Avast 7.
    I manage a number of PCs with AVG Pro. We held on to version '9' and went straight to '2012' due to issues with intervening version(s).

22. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Damn,i hate when this happens!Even AVG now??

Attached Files:

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What do the firewall people say about it? With Avira that sort of warning is avoided by installing the Av first then the other program.

24. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Why do i always have to install av first?It's not right.And btw,Avira just gives you a warning about incompatible software,and installs it normally after.Doesn't force you to remove them nor refuses the installation,like BitDefender or AVG does in this particular case.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  25. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi all

AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012.2193

Anti-Rootkit: Improved reporting of corrupted sections.
    Email Scanner: Fixed issue with invalid content being added into e-mail body.
    General: Search Shield service has been terminated in all AVG products.
    Identity Protection: Fixed issue of extensive memory consumption within Identity Protection component.
    Kernel: Whole computer scan is now visible in main UI even if launched prior to UI start.
    Setup: Fixed issue with installation fail while upgrading from AVG 8/9 to AVG 2012 SU4 (missing cabinet).
    Setup: Fixed issue with removing the entire AVG application when trying to remove the Do Not Track service only.
    Update: Fixed issue with repeated update process.

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/avg-release-notes

http://free.avg.com/ww-en/avg-release-notes#ixzz1biutZH3a

http://free.avg.com/cz-en/download.prd-afh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.