AVG 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

thanks.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

-edit-

OK. It actually blocks Facebook social addons (I've tested a few websites.), but it doesn't block the Softpedia's one, and perhaps because that specific one is a direct link for www .facebook. com, which is why it probably doesn't block it.

It would be nice if it could block those kind of third-party connections, though.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

AVG Do Not Track is also part of AVG LinkScanner Free Edition, by the way. :)

4. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

5. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

Lots of people ready to give AVG a bit of 'meh'.
    But the other week I gave it a big 'yay'.

Somebody I knew got infected with a virus.
    It even disabled safe mode. There were workarounds, but at the time I hadn't discovered them yet and time was of the essence. A lot of the methods I read about for re-enabling it were useless (this is with posts from weeks ago) the virus had mutated so much.

So I booted into Linux and backed up important docs etc. etc..

Anyway it seemed at the time that a rescue cd that would locate and disinfect the virus was the only option. I got about half a dozen of them in my arsenal, when on third attempt - eureka!

It took me days in all to restore the machine to it's former glory and better. But I'll just leave it at that... I was experimenting with different forms of disinfection, knowing I had a very recent image of the drive to fall back on, if needed. And I wasn't getting paid, so I considered it 'play'.
    Never had one totally disabling safe mode before. Though I am a noobie to this kind of stuff anyway......

Thank you AVG, for your free rescue cd. A few other more popular av and anti-malware missed this one. The vector? Pr(o)n as usual.
    Quite amusing to see the idiot had even bookmarked the smut. Luckily for him, I erased these as I restored the machine to it's former state. Some people have unusual tastes don't they? :ninja:

All is well that ends well, so credit to AVG for their rescue cd in this instance.
    It was slow, but not painfully so, and that suits me when 'slow' translates to 'thorough'. Nice one.

:thumb:

7. carat

carat Guest

8. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

Well I just installed the paid version (AVG Internet Security 3pc license), had a lot of trouble installing but pretty good response from AVG Support, however they couldn't solve the problem, in the end someone on another Forum suggested not installing the AVG Tool bar and installing as Admin and it installed fine.

Doesn't seem to use too much in the way of resources and doesn't seem to slow the computers down, at this time I have it installed on a desk top and a Lap top.

Half hoping someone sends me a Virus so I can see if it works:D

9. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi all

AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012.2169

AVG Do Not Track: Corrected and generalized locale mappings in Firefox.
    AVG Do Not Track: Disable AVG Do Not Track if Internet Explorer tracking protection is enabled.
    Core: Fixed issue with Identity Protection driver installation.
    Kernel: Fixed issue with crash during scanning.
    Outlook Addin: Fixed crash of Outlook addin caused by AntiSpam component.
    Search-Shield: Search-Shield verdict icons were added to Google search results when signed into Google.
    Search-Shield: Search-Shield will be installed only if selected for the installation.
    User Interface: Fixed issue with stuck update icon on system tray.

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/avg-release-notes

http://free.avg.com/cz-en/download.prd-afh

10. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

Bit cryptic.....So.......What are you trying to tell us here??

11. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

What are you mean.

That is the Changelog of the New Programm Update of AVG

12. carat

carat Guest

Don't be so harsh, mops is our changelog advisor ;)

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Agreed. I had no problem understanding what mops posted, as I suspect most of our reading probably didn't.

14. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

It was a question not a criticism, I was aware of the changes because I have the current paid version and I thought that everyone else would also be aware of the changes/updates.

15. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi

When i post an Changelog post i the Link to See it on the AVG

16. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

17. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

when i try to install avg internet security
    i get an error it says that an of the avg filter driver certificate is not trusted
    and can not installed
    what can i do?

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

My only beef with AVG IS is that firefox frequently crashes if the avg extensions are enabled ,and also even after a custom install whereby I only wanted firewall and av ,the gui still shows modules that i neither would use or want ,like livekive and family safety with the "activate now" captions unerneath.Its the little things that bug me :doubt:

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed there needs to be a way to remove the icons not used they drive me nuts and is one reason i dont use it criticize me or not i hate a messy gui and i feel avg's is just that

20. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i hate the pc advisor. and the unused icons.

21. carat

carat Guest

I like AVG but I hate the unused icons as well! :doubt:

22. ellison64

I remember older version of avg had options not show modules ,but it seems that practise has gone ,not only in avg but other avs as well.NIS 2012 has stuff there on the main screen to... like "mobile" get it now ,although it doesnt seem so intrusive in NIS gui as it does in avg.In fact as time goes on and more and more suites are pretty much the same in regards detection ease of use etc,its the gui that does play a big part in whether it stays on my pc these days.I always had a soft spot for early grisoft avg (v6 and earlier)where you had that germ looking thing that popped up when a nasty was found :D

23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah i like the old avg and i really liked the old version 6 antivir

24. ellison64

Yeah me too.Ive been looking for the past hour for screenshots of old avs but not much luck.In retrospect I wish i had taken screenshots of all the Av softwares ive used over the years and catalouged them for reference and comparison.Im starting to dislike the way they are going these days regarding the looks.A big green tick or whatever and thats it . ...bahhh.

25. ellison64

Ive been playing with AVG IS 2012, removing the AWACS folder which seem to contain third party components in C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012 (thats my default installation path).The additional components of livekive,family safety etc are now not showing in the avg gui or in the components tab.Im not sure whether a program update will restore them ,but normal sig updates do not.Of course if any of you want to try it and clean up the interface to ,then make a backup of the folder in case things dont work out.Seems to be working fine here after removal though.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.