AVG 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

wow i must be blind where is the setting for killing the iconso_O going to look again now..though im using the internet security version for testing

also there doesnt appear to be a setting for auto for the firewall i know that setting sucks but for people that dont know how to answer pop ups they really need that like a white/blacklist of sorts like avast and norton has??

i do agree it is lighter that last version but i do still see slowdowns at times especially during browsing. im reinstalling it without the linkscanner to see if that is why i am a avast user normally but i have a lot of customers who use and like avg and do not wish to switch

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

is this resource friendly? anyone using it plz let me know..the free version ofcourse:D

3. snippits

snippits Registered Member

I don't see the option to remove Family Safety or LiveKive from the gui, and I am using the pro.

4. zfactor

i just reinstall on a test system and do not see that option anywhere. i tried right clicking and it just says open

edit go to control panel and the programs list and click on avg 2012 and select change. then select add remove components. now you can remove the avg addons and anything else you want to including the pc analyzer!!

edit again well this removed the pc analyzer but even though i unchecked the addons they are still there arghhh.... just annoying

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

You should have opted for Custom install when you were installing the program.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

not bad 23 min full scan on the first run with all the scanning options turned up.

7. zfactor

i did this time and unselected pc analyzer BUT that still leaves me with the family and other junk in the gui. id love to know how he got rid of those...

8. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I unchecked them during installation...?:D :doubt:
    To be honest...i really don't know!:D :D
    Seriously,during install i unchecked email protection,other languages and pc analyzer.And that's that.

9. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

This is the gui for me ..m using the free version.. there is ni clutter..whats the fuss about

Attached Files:

• AVG.jpg
      AVG.jpg
      File size:
      130.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG does have emulation and generic unpacker, this was inherited from Ewido (strangely enough, AVG's website doesn't mention it). Probably the behaviour analysis is rudimentary and needs tweaking, but it's not the worst heuristics out there.

And yes, you'd probably want the identity protection - it's solid protection and AVG is a lesser product without it (just my opinion) :)

Will give it a try this weekend to see what's changed. As a long time AVG user, I do look forward to looking at what's going on.

11. snippits

I suspect a bug in the installer.

For you guys using just the AVG antivirus installer, and that do not have LiveKive and Family Safety in the GUI, click on my apps and the icons should magically appear in the gui.

Using AVG Internet Security installer, the LiveKive and Family Safety icons are there from the start.

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Supposedly it adds a lot to boot time. I dont know because I only reboot about once per week. But it seems lite in terms of ram, disk i/o, and cpu from what i saw. Don't be deceived by all the processes. Also pass on things like the gadget, mail scanner, etc. unless you use Outlook.

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Just installed the Internet Security version on my PC. For an Internet Security suite, this is the lightest I have ever used so far, and I was thinking AVG 2011 was pretty light already.

AVG makes good on all its promises - I have noticed improved scan times, improved browser bootup times, less I/O on HDD and general increases in responsiveness of the AVG application.

As far as new features go, it's almost the same as before. The new features are mostly geared towards performance. The functionality seems the same as it was in 2011, other than the new dialogs about AVG Advice and AVG Accelerator.

All in all, a good release from AVG - seems to really clean up 2011. A refinement more than a proper new release IMO. I quite liked the changes in the GUI too, though it's still more of the same (just a reskin IMO).

BTW - boot times have improved compared to 2011.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

where can i get a full size installer?
    the link i got on the uk website is a 5mb downloader.

15. gery

gery Registered Member

HERE
    BOTH 32 AND 64 BIT I THINK

16. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I am sorry if I have missed it, but where has the Resident Shield gone ?
    With relative displays like these and that awful PC Analyser still there, why should anybody change to 2012 ? Don`t see why I should.

Even my eyesight appears to indicate that 2012 seems rather diminished.

John

AVG 2011
    AVG 2011 a.JPG

AVG 2012
    AVG 2012.JPG

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Man that GUI looks old. Maybe they can trade their new one for Aviras V10, because that looks like the direction Avira is going with theirs.:cool:

18. John Bull

Hello tr,

Great comment. They have even kept their PC Analyser above all else. Everybody knows that this PCA is the ultimate in a complete waste of time in trying to mess up our PC`s better than any other similar program.

I fail to see how AVG expect any serious PC geek to do more than laugh at this ridiculous feature.

Most likely it is the MD`s personal brainstorm, so they cannot get rid of it.

John

19. windowsdefender

windowsdefender Registered Member

Switched to Comodo AV.

20. John Bull

Well, that`s ONE gone, only another few million to go.

John

21. snippits

Hi John,

Resident shield and antivirus icons have been combined. They were redundant anyway. I do know on the paid versions that PC Analyzer can be disabled by choosing custom installation.

The scanning engine has had significant improvements as far as performance goes, so that might be a reason to upgrade.

22. John Bull

Thank you for the kind and explicit reply. I will most likely now upgrade to the 2012 Free version in view of your information.

Just a point Snip, my AVG 2011 updates every day, always when I first switch on. When that happens, it drains my entire system, I cannot do anything until it has finished. Simply sit and grow older. It is infuriating and I have to admit my sins - I go through my entire swear book and that is a lot of swearing.

Do you think that with the revisions made to 2012 these updates will no longer knock out my system ?

John

23. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

Actually, no. I can give you some backstory for the inclusion.

It all came about from Kaspersky bundling TuneUp Utilities here in UK retail. The UK Sales Director at the time (end of 2009) said that AVG needed to do something similar and they searched for some rival products - from Uniblue and others. In the end, they went with Auslogics Boostspeed. They integrated it more deeply that the Kaspersky/TuneUp bundle, as you've seen.

I've got to say that a *lot* of users do choose to purchase AVG PC TuneUp once they've installed AVG AV/IS 2011/2012. You'd be surprised.

24. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

thanks man.. I will wait:D :D

25. windowsdefender

windowsdefender Registered Member

yay me:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.